Side effects of drinking too much diet coke

Options
Hi all,

I am trying to reduce my beer consumption, so I tend to replace beer with diet coke. I was wondering the side effects of drinking too much diet coke. On internet, they are saying it can damage your kidney, mess up your metabolism, rot your teeth...

also do you really believe there is no calorie in a diet soda?

Replies

• annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Ive been drinking 1L+ of diet soda every day for the last 5 years and havent noticed any side effects other than a little bloating and gas
  • NH_1970
    NH_1970 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I don't know what it does to others but diet soda does this to me;
    Headaches
    Makes my tongue and throat feel like it's puffy/swollen

St. Jude's herbal says only to do dark colas once a month if you consume a lot of white flour or processed food because dark colas strip the natural flora/fauna of the digestive tract and can help clean out the paste pockets that white flour/processed foods can make in the body, but not to do consume it more than one time a month.

If you want to reduce your beer consumption, try AA or water.
  • jenEphur
    jenEphur Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I don't know where I'd be without diet coke/any diet soda product except sprite zero (gross)! Everyone's always on my case about it, telling me how bad it is for me, but I know I'm going to drink soda anyway, and this is better than drinking a full calorie/sugar soda.

I'm up in New Hampshire, so I haven't seen these around here but they may be wherever you are, but there's Diet Rite that comes in different flavors (cherry soda is my favorite). It's 0 calories, 0 sugars, 0 etc. and it's actually pretty good. That could be worth a go.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Try seltzer water, it has the fizz going on and keeps you hydrated.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I was a Diet Coke addict but have given it and all artificial sweeteners up because they pique my appetite. One Diet Coke and I've got a wicked case of the munchies. Not everyone reacts this way but notice it if you do.

After I went off the Diet Coke, my dental hygienist noticed it and cleaning my teeth takes nowhere near as long. She said that's pretty common.

If you crave fizz, try the carbonated waters with that have no sweeteners in them.
  • ianthy
    ianthy Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Not sure i could manage without Coke Zero. I drink loads and have seen no side effects.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    A caffeine high and possible belching.

Seriously, everything can kill you on the internet.
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Most of the effects I notice from diet sodas is bloating - but I drink about 1/day or less. I once drank about 2L/day and am so glad I got over that. In my opinion, they aren't healthy, but they are not "bad" either. It's a moderation thing.

I don't miss the caffeine because I still have 1/day if I want it and drink regular teas/coffees a lot.

There is research showing that the phosphoric acid can cause you to pull calcium from your bones. I have good bones, so not an issue for me. This effect is most evident in those that drink it on an empty stomach (like the "I have a soda for breakfast instead of food" folks) or heavy soda drinkers. (see below - this might be untrue!)

I know you science folks will want a source.

This one is interesting - it gives other research but states that it may be because soda is displacing milk in our diets - HUH? I don't know that many adults that are drinking significant amounts of milk or putting the soda on their cereal instead... I think that's an odd point but just the same: http://www.webmd.com/osteoporosis/features/soda-osteoporosis

I read through some more articles/research but also find mixed reviews. It appears we once thought it did but now question that theory. I could see it displacing calcium high beverages in children - but again, the adults I see drinking loads of milk are pretty few and far between.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much you drink, but really, the caffeine will likely give you the jitters well before the artificial sweetener starts messing up anything (any actual studies that show negative effects were done on rats that were fed extremely large amounts for their body weight).

Just remember that caffeine is a stimulate, where alcohol has more of a sedative effect, so side effects will be different. But really, drinking diet coke will be no worse for you (and in some ways much better) than drinking beer.
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I doubt there are any worse side effects to drinking diet coke than there are to drinking beer. If you are highly sensitive to caffeine, maybe try caffeine free diet coke.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I am trying to reduce my beer consumption, so I tend to replace beer with diet coke. I was wondering the side effects of drinking too much diet coke. On internet, they are saying it can damage your kidney, mess up your metabolism, rot your teeth...

All of the above, but too much is not a measurable amount. If you ingest too much of anything it can cause serous medical problems, including death.
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

All I can say is I drank it since I was a teen. At 45 I gave it up. I learned at that point I have kidney disease. I had also gained weight and have digestive issues. It also contributed to my high blood pressure but so did being overweight.

Just be careful.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    The biggest side effect I've noticed is I drink less beer.
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I forgot about the migraines!!! Have me migraines too.