How often do you have a cheat day?

Options
I have a cheat day once a week, but I'm wondering if that may be too much. Thoughts? Also, sorry if this is in the wrong spot, I'm new here.

Replies

• NoMoreBlameGame
    NoMoreBlameGame Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I don't really have cheat days. I used to, with every other diet I've tried...but this time if i want something (like a big honkin' 600 calorie piece of cheesecake, cough)...then I just eat light for the other parts of the day so I'm still within my calorie goal.

...I had a caramel McFrappe the other day (550 calories, lol!) but I ate scrambled eggs and a bunch of veggies for my other meals.

For *me*, I have to incorporate it into my normal calorie intake goal...otherwise I know myself...I'd do it all the time and end up right where I was before I started. =/
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat MEAL once every 10-14 days. I eat at a moderate deficit the rest of the time, so usually it evens itself out in the long run.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Never. If I want something high in calories/go out to eat, I work it into my goals.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I do a cheat day once a week. I'm short and old, so my target is net 1200. There's no room for cheating on that low a number. This holiday week-end, though, I'm eating some things I shouldn't more than one day. I had a real cheat day yesterday, which I didn't track -- fried seafood, beer, and Dairy Queen -- but today, I had a couple of treats, but am working them into my plan. I'm not real proud of my diary this week-end.
  • Roogura
    Roogura Posts: 11
    Options
    I should rephrase this. I too make it a cheat meal lol. Not a day.
  • litchfieldd
    litchfieldd Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi new friend!

I never have a cheat day if by that you mean a day you do not log. I don't try to meet calorie goals on a day by day basis, rather I balance them over the week. That gives flexibility for anything I want on a given day and go a little under on others. Not logging means you stick your head in the sand, cross your fingers and hope you don't undo all the deficit you worked hard to achieve. Makes no sense to me.

Plus it reinforces the negative idea that eating sensibly with a moderate deficit is something unpleasant you need a break from. Although Im now on a generous goal on my last couple of kg to loss, I never suffered on less, I ate great and gave nothing up.
  • Roogura
    Roogura Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi, Litchfield! Was going to reply back to your message soon! It's very nice to have a friend from the UK :)

I still log on my cheat day. By cheat day, I mostly mean a day where you allow yourself to have a meal that you normally wouldn't be able to eat every day, or else you'd gain weight.
  • serenahhhhh
    Options
    I don't really pay attention anymore! Ever since starting my healthy lifestyle I have been craving only wholesome foods and fruits. I do often treat myself but only in moderation since it keeps me from binging on large quantities of unhealthy food.
  • litchfieldd
    litchfieldd Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Ok cool. Id say then as long as its logged, have as many as you like if it fits your goals! If you want to eat to daily goal 6 days than push it on 1 thats fine but (assuming an accurate diary) your weight loss will be slower than planned. No biggy if youre happy with that. But I would try to squeeze in as many meals you love into your normal diet - just a smaller portion I guess. I've also used big calorie burns from running to fit in all my favourites!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I don't cheat. After two years, I have figured out how to enjoy moderate amounts of many delicious foods without going overboard or making food be the center of my life. Isn't that what "lifestyle change" means?

I do go over my calories every once in a while for a special occasion, but I'm okay with that. It's not often.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    Once a month sounds better to me... but I don't really do that.. I've decided to let myself eat up to maintenance whenever I want.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I work treats and higher calorie meals into my calorie goal. For special occasions, I eat what I want, log it and move on.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i've never had a cheat day, and whenever i have a larger-than-normal meal, i tend to skip the next meal - which i'm not hungry for due to the extra calories - and it all evens out. either that or i eat the larger meal on a heavy workout day. i haven't gone over my daily calorie goal since i started logging in a notebook on may 1 or since i started at MFP.

btw, i only eat foods i really love - just smaller portions than i used to. my weekly meals/ingredients include potatoes, cereal and milk, tortilla chips, potato chips, guacamole, spanish rice, chocolate and sour cream... well, okay - light sour cream, but my husband says the one we use is the tastiest sour cream he's ever had :D
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Hi new friend!

I never have a cheat day if by that you mean a day you do not log. I don't try to meet calorie goals on a day by day basis, rather I balance them over the week. That gives flexibility for anything I want on a given day and go a little under on others. Not logging means you stick your head in the sand, cross your fingers and hope you don't undo all the deficit you worked hard to achieve. Makes no sense to me.

Plus it reinforces the negative idea that eating sensibly with a moderate deficit is something unpleasant you need a break from. Although Im now on a generous goal on my last couple of kg to loss, I never suffered on less, I ate great and gave nothing up.

@litchfield. - you just stated something I have been trying to articulate for a long time. Right on! :drinker:
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I don't cheat. After two years, I have figured out how to enjoy moderate amounts of many delicious foods without going overboard or making food be the center of my life. Isn't that what "lifestyle change" means?

And
    @sherryteach - Stated something extremely well here! :smile:

I personally don't have non-logging days anymore because I take everything into account. Which means I no longer "start and re-start"... I just "continue" and enjoy the process.
  • awake4777
    awake4777 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day once per week for about 3 months now and I am not one who believes in deprivation. My cheat day includes no exercise and eating something sweet ( normally). Sometimes I don't need a cheat day so I don't exercise. Having a once per week cheat day helps because normally I don't cheat or eat like I used to and my cheat days help me to see this. I had weight loss surgery 2 years ago.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    As little as possible because for me cheat days means going over my maintenance calories, and then I undo most of the work I've done all week. And usually just one meal does it. And I log every single bite.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    i dont have cheat days. i dont cheat.

sometimes, like last night. i go over, but i still log and dont go over my tdee.

most of the time i make things fit.

i dont cheat because it isnt a game, its a lifestyle, and nobody has a lifestyle that doesnt vary occasionally, unless they are OCD.

when i feel hungry is usually when i go over, and when i feel hungry i give my hypothalmus what it wants. usually protein and fats which i tend to not eat enough of sometimes.

i should add though, it took me a few months to recognise the difference between hungry and bored or emotional. i can actually tell now most of the time.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    If you consider cheating to be eating at maintenance, then once a week as a refeed.

If you consider cheating to be eating "bad" food, then.. daily.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options

I do go over my calories every once in a while for a special occasion, but I'm okay with that. It's not often.

Ditto.

If you go over your target on Thanksgiving, it's a planned overage, not a cheat.

If you "need" weekly "cheat days" it may be a sign that your daily targets are too low.