Stuck in a plateau

Options
Hey all. I'm new to the forums but not new to the weight loss game. (female/29yo) I've been successful in the past with losing weight and maintained it for about 4 years. I lost 67 pounds back in 2006. But life happens and I fell into old habits and it didn't help that I worked at McDonalds (YUCK!) But at least now I can't even look at a Big Mac without being repulsed, lol.

Anyway, my current point in my weight loss is exactly in the middle. I've lost 67 pounds so far. Down from 279 after the birth of my second son. (I can't blame too much on the McDs since I was pregnant for the majority of my time employed there.) And I'm 67 pounds away from my final goal weight (I make small goals so it doesn't seem so daunting. And yes, I realize 67 seems to follow me in regards to weight...weird) But I've been stuck between 203 & 212 for the last 2 months or so. I ride my bike about 30 min every day. I also drink water like crazy and try to get a lot of protein in. For today/yesterday (whatever it's considered), I consumed 71g of protein. I also drank 108 oz of water.

My problem is that I have a hard time trying to make my cal goal. 90% of the time, I'm under my target by several hundred calories. I really don't eat all that much. I'm guessing that's why I gained 9 lbs from a couple weeks ago when I was down to 203.

I want to get rid of my tummy because that's my biggest problem right now (pun intended, lol). I'd like to try some strength training but I have a herniated disc in my lumbar spine and am unable to do intense lifting and bending. Is belly loss possible with cardio being my main staple for exercise?

I guess I'd just like some tips as to what I can do to get off this plateau. I appreciate any input. My diary is public but I only have one day of entries. I'm pretty unhappy about one of the foods I chose to eat today. I rarely eat cup o' noodles because I knew it has high sodium, I just didn't know it was that much. I was trying to add calories to my day. So before anyone points out the soup, I know. lol. I'm not eating that crap ever again. It's the easiest way to retain water.

So other than the soup. What would you all suggest I try to get my loss moving again?

Thanks in advanced :) I'm hoping to make some new support friends

Replies

• angenrod
    angenrod Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi there, I know its really hard being stuck like you are. I only walk for exercise and so far have been quite successful with just walking. I do little jogs while out walking too, and this helps burn some fat. I think maybe your not eating enough and maybe your body goes into starvation mode, and that is why your not shedding the pounds consistently?? Try and log your food every day, as it really helps. I notice when I don't log as i eat, i tend to eat more then i should. I'm not sure how active you are, but I would aim around 1800 calories a day at a minimum for your weight. Maybe try 1800/1900 for a week, and try walking instead of bike riding to see if it makes a difference. I try and juggle things around so my body doesn't get use to one particular program. Of also, invest in a fitbit, they are amazing!! They track how much walking/movement you are doing and this add or subtracts to your calorie count dependent on how much you move. I was struggling to lose anything before i got my fitbit, and since buying one, i have lost 18kg (40 pounds). Worth a thought anyway
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You'll lose your belly along with the rest of the fat. It comes off everywhere, but belly and thighs are most women's biggest concern.

Sodium is the hardest for me. A lot of people don't give it a thought, but it is good to stay low on sodium. It takes a toll over time, for sure. If the cup of noodles was Nissan, I concur. Those chicken and veggie ones are awesome.

It's good that you're committed to doing it for the long haul. You don't want to poop out. :)

The only way to get out of a plateau is to eat less and/or exercise more.

Consider swimming! You get cardio and resistance, work all your muscles, don't feel hot or sweaty and it's fun! If your back can take it, that is. Even walking in the shallow end is good exercise. :)

Good luck!!
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    You are not losing weight because you are eating too much food. Those 9 lbs. include food, water weight due to high sodium, and normal body fluctuations. The only way to lose weight is to eat at a calorie deficiency. It is not about any particular foods. It is about eating less than your body needs to maintain your current weight. My advice is to get a food scale and a set of measuring cups. Weigh all of your solids and measure all of your liquids. Track everything because guessing won’t work in the beginning for most people.

As far as exercise to burn tummy fat, weight and strength training will help only if you are eating at a calorie deficiency. Otherwise, you will not get the benefit you are looking for with the exercise alone. I know you are busy with a little baby but you should schedule some time and preplan your foods and populate your food diary for a few days or a week at a time. This way you will meet your nutrient levels by planning ahead of time. The more you do this, the easier it will become to track.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Well you got to log your food. You're eating more than you think.
  • artdragon1013
    Options
    Thank you all SO much for all your advice and input! :) Yes, I admit it. I don't measure. I guess :( Funny thing is, my scale is on my kitchen counter.
    The only way to lose weight is to eat at a calorie deficiency. It is not about any particular foods. It is about eating less than your body needs to maintain your current weight

What should my deficit be? My MFP plan says I should be eating 1700 cal/day to lose 2lb/week. Should I reduce that number? It also has my sodium target at 2300mg! That's a lot too.

I tend to skip breakfast and lunch unintentionally. I'm just not hungry most of the time until dinner and then I make dinners that are high in calories. An example of some of the things I make for dinner are boneless skinless chicken thighs baked in cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soup and I accompany it with 2 pouches of flavored instant mashed potatoes and a can of sweet yellow corn (I have a family of 6 and we always have left overs). Hubby works with a friend and carpools with him to work so I make him a plate as well. I use 43% vegetable oil spread for butter and salt for flavor on my mashed potatoes and corn. I also put the soup mix from the chicken on my mashed potatoes. (I usually eat 1-2 pieces of chicken and sadly, a LOT of mashed potatoes. I'm sure it's actually a cup instead of the recommended 1/4-1/2 cup serving.

Another example of one of my frequently made meals is pork chops (loin cut, bone-in) with McCormick's Backyard Brickoven seasoning and bake them. I typically make canned cut green beans and either corn (canned sweet yellow) or frozen broccoli florets. I also occasionally make baby carrots (16oz bag of fresh baby carrots cooked for 13 min in 3/4 cup of water) with ginger, nutmeg, parsley, honey, orange juice (or pineapple juice when I don't have orange) and a little bit of salt. I also do this recipe with canned sliced carrots if I don't have fresh ones.

I also cook steaks, pasta meals, hot dogs (I don't eat them but I make them as a "cheap" dinner when we're low on funds), tuna sandwiches, peanut butter and jelly, ham and cheese sandwiches (loaded with fresh veggies like lettuce, onion, pickles, tomatoes (even though it's a fruit, it tastes great on the sandwich)

I want to reduce the amount of processed foods I cook because I know companies put so much unnecessary ingredients in their food products. I wish I could grow my own veggies, but I'm horrible at gardening and any plant I have, usually dies. So I'd probably be wasting money on seeds. And unfortunately, fresh veggies cost more than the quick, processed canned veggies.

So I guess with that said, I'm definitely going to start measuring EVERYTHING. I want to know just how off my guessing is. I probably will surprise myself at how much I actually AM eating. Because like you all said, I'm likely eating more than I think. Like sugaraddict43 said, I'm not being honest with myself. I have a lot of changes to make.
  • Branstin
    Options
    The initial number MFP generates (Goal Calories) already has a calorie deficiency built into it. Go to MY Home > Goals and you will see the breakdown of your profile. A goal of 2 lbs. a week may be aggressive so if you find yourself hungry then reduce that to 1.5 lbs. The initial amount of sodium MFP set is 2300 but you have to decide if that is appropriate for you. You can change it via My Home > Goals > Change Goals. Definitely practice using the food scale because it is far too easy to overestimate a few hundred calories. Practice staying under or at your calories limit by the day or week and meeting your macros (carbs, dietary fat, and protein) and micronutrients (vitamins, iron, etc.).

As a rule of thumb, the following weekly targets would give a balance between minimizing negative side effects and seeing a reasonable weekly weight loss:

More than 75 lbs: 2 lbs/week
    40-75 lbs: 1.5 lbs/week
    10-40 lbs: 1 lb/week
    Less than 10 lbs: 0.5 lb/week

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • artdragon1013
    Options
    Thank you so much for that. Some of it was slightly confusing. So MFP's cal intake is pretty accurate on what my deficit should be?
  • Branstin
    Options
    Yes
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    In regards to veggies, my local store has huge packages of organic salad mixes extremely cheap when I buy in bulk. I also buy fruit that is on sale or in season. It's really easy to incorporate veggies; you just have to be flexible sometimes if what you want is priced too high, but there's something else just as good that's cheaper.

In regards to measuring everything, I'd definitely recommend a food scale. You can get one for under $30 at Walmart; I have the Biggest Loser branded scale, and it's been awesome for getting me super accurate logs; mine weighs down to the fraction of an ounce, and also has a tare feature so I can throw a bowl on, and it automatically takes off the weight of the bowl so I can weigh whatever food I'm trying to log. It will be a really great investment for you!
  • artdragon1013
    Options
    I have a scale intended for hair stylists and it has the same features as yours. Tare and fractions of an ounch and also measures grams. I love it
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    I think, as aforementioned, you will find when you start measuring and accurately calculating, you will find you are eating way more thank you think. One thing to consider with prepackaged foods is the amount of sodium in them. For me, sodium = water retention!
  • artdragon1013
    Options
    Yeah, I'm wondering if I'm retaining water