Second time of trying and a few questions!

Options
Hi All,

Last year I weighed 276 lbs and I managed to lose 30 lbs in about 4/5 months. I then plateau'd and gave up. Consequently, the weight gradually cam back on until I weighed myself about 3 weeks ago and I was back to 273lbs!!!! This coincided with a trip to the doctors for a health check up, where I was told my cholesterol level was a little high (6.8). So, I decided to start again.

There are a couple of things, I don't quite understand though and I'm hoping someone will help me out.

My target NET calories are about 1950. To me this seems too high and I've been eating about 1400 - 1500 calories. Now I have read on these forums that you can have too few calories and not lose weight as quickly or safely (whatever that means) as if you eat more. So, if I eat less than 1950, I WILL lose weight more quickly until I hit a level of calorie intake where I won't. Is that right? What is that level?

In terms of exercise, I walk the dog every evening (about 200 -300 calories burned) and I have started the couch25k program. I'm on week 2 and that burns calories at about 400 per run. Once a week I also do a big walk with the dog which burns 850 calories. I may also start to use my bike to commute to school (I'm a teacher) a couple of days a week (another 500 - 600) calories burned.

With this in mind, why can't I expect to lose more than 2 lbs a week?

Thanks for reading.

Replies

• Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    *General recommendations for weekly weight loss goals should be based on a number of factors, the main one of which is how much weight you have to lose. The more weight that you have to lose the less severe the negative impact of being at a calorie deficit will have generally (see below for examples).

As a rule of thumb, the following weekly targets would give a balance between minimizing these negative side effects and seeing a reasonable weekly weight loss:
    More than 75 lbs: 2 lbs/week
    40-75 lbs: 1.5 lbs/week
    10-40 lbs: 1 lb/week
    Less than 10 lbs: 0.5 lb/week

Obviously, the deficit that is right for you will depend on your personal circumstances and how well you deal with the deficit. For example, for someone who is morbidly obese, the health benefits of getting the weight off quickly will often outweigh the possible negative impact and, as such, a higher than 2 lb a week deficit may well be appropriate.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

*http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here

You maybe overestimating the burns from your walks, here is a another link that may help...

Exercise calories

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf
  • waltongr
    Options
    Thanks for the quick reply, I will have a read of these links :smile:
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Options
    Thanks for the quick reply, I will have a read of these links :smile:
    No problems and here is a link that covers almost everything to get the most out of MFP and have a good foundation and understanding of weightless, fitness and nutrition...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read
  • Nomes85
    Nomes85 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi there.

Here's how I think of it. Your body weight becomes the manifestation of your habits. My eating habits, when I'm not exercising or counting cals holds me at a weight of about 115kg. I gave weighed as much as 156kg and have stayed no higher than 115kg for about 10 years. I've been down to 99kg, I know that when my habits go unchecked I slip back up to 115.

The best method I recommend is to calculate your goal calories by multiplying your body weight in pounds by 10. This is a good number for giving your body time to adjust and gives you room to take down your calories when you hit a platau without feeling like your starving yourself which does more damage to your body.

This relates to what I said in the beginning, I find when I platau its because I have found the point where my body needs x amount of calories to maintain that weight level and so its time to drop a little further.

I divide my calories 40%protein 30%fat 30%carbs but will trade carbs for protein for a boost. This may seem like a lot of calories and a lot of food, but the results come from making sure you feed your body good clean nutrients and fibre from fruit, veg and meat ans not depriving your self of food you love, just learning to budget for it.

Hope this helps.
  • waltongr
    Options
    Thanks again and yes it helps. So, the basics seem to be this: Eating less calories won't make you lose weight faster, BUT eating the right amount of calories long term will ensure consistent weight loss. Coupled with some exercise, you're on to a winner.

I'm going to make sure I get more calories and stop worrying about having fewer for a "quick win" as paradoxically, it doesn't seem to work that way!

Also, are my fitness apps lying to me? Endomondo says my 3.5mph walk I did today burned 850 calories. This does seem like a lot for an hour and a half of walking, but what do I know? That's why i'm using the thing!!! Would a "fitbit" or "jawbone" be any better at calculating calories burned, or should I just ignore it and assume it's just a good thing to do?
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Options
    HRM (Heart rate monitor) are the closest you will get to are close estimate for steady state cardio, no good for Anaerobic exercise such as weight lifting or interval training like HIIT training...I hear good things about Polar FT4 as it affordable but there are more expensive models.

I have found from experience that the people who have a lot of success often (not always) prescribe to the TDEE approach for figuring out daily calorie allowances...but it comes down to personal preference and most importantly what works best for you

See http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf for more discussion regarding TDEE and the two different methods, but the components of TDEE are repeated below:

BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate): The number of calories you burn at complete rest.
    EAT (Exercise Associated Thermogenesis): Caloric requirements of training, or training expenditure.
    NEAT (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis): Caloric requirements of activity that is not planned exercise. Vacuuming, driving, brushing your teeth, for example.
    TEF/DIT (Thermic Effect of Feeding or Diet Induced Thermogenesis): Caloric expense of eating/digestion.
    TDEE: (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) = Sum of the above. BMR+EAT+NEAT+TEF

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1069278-acronyms-and-terms-for-new-mfp-members-v-6

This is a great link if you are still unsure but be sure to read it in its entirety before posting...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/910257-the-new-and-improved-asking-questions-about-your-intake

ETA: Yes that does seem like way too high of a calorie burn for an hour and a half walk.
  • hikerbabe10
    Options
    I have just started MFP and I have lost one pound and between my hips and waist about 3 inches. I have a lot of trouble reaching the 1200 calorie intake. So at the end of each day it says I didn't eat enough. I hike 3 to 6 km, swim a couple of laps in the pool and do general work around the house on a daily basis. When I do exercises it jumps from say, 418 calories left in the day to eat, up to 1300 calories by that night.

Should I just aim for the 1200 and forget when it tells me to eat more???? I am eating about 5 to 6 small meals (snacks) during the day and I am not used to doing that. I am still working on getting all the right nutrition as well. I am aiming for about 35 to 40 pounds, I am at 166 right now, 5 ft. 4 1/2 inches tall.

I am also going to check out the links you put in the earlier reply.
  • Nomes85
    Options
    The more your body weight the the more calories you burn moving it. There fore as you loose weight the calories you expend doing the same activity will reduce. It might be a bit over, but then again if you had bursts where you pushed hard and walked faster maybe not. My suggestion would be to set your cals as high as you can knowing your loosing slowly, then don't eat your exercise cals to see what sort of results you get. Try without weighing for a month maybe and not focusing necessarily on the weight loss but putting your attension towards finding what dietary changes you can make, example swapping processed gods for something natural and nutritious and also on just enjoying becoming fitter.

I find this approach gives me an opportunity to enjoy what I'm doing and let my body suprise me rather than stressing my body to deliver results.

It's not really in line with go hard or go home type training but its a steady approach that helps your mind to be patient with your body (and vice versa) and allows you to find a rythem that will last, not just a bunch of short term results.
  • Nomes85
    Options
    Have you done and math to find out what your nutrient distribution is, that is how much protein, fat and carbohydrates your getting through the day? If your getting enough forte in and fresh fruit and veg IRS ok to make up some extra calories through the day by using full fat milk or butter, a little oil in dressings.

Grass fed organic fats in milk butter and cheese, in my experience have not hindered my weightloss. Also olive and avo cado oil are great fats. Margerine or grain fed dairy will not produce results as good (my theory is that cows few on high carb diets will produce a carbohydrate dense milk, grass fed milk seems to my body to be more wholesome and organic milk does not make me sick like convensional processed milk does).
  • waltongr
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. So far my intake seems to be distribution according to how MFP suggests. I have slightly higher cholesterol than I should have so, I'm having oats for breakfast 6 days out of 7 (which I love anyway) and oily fish and pulses 2 or 3 times a week. The rest of the time, I'm trying to eat less red meat and processed food and more fruit and veg. That's it really. I'm trying for it to be as simple as possible. Also, I like the idea of not letting the scales rule over me, but at the same time, I was hoping to see instant results which I now know isn't feasible. Long term it WILL pay off!