How often do you have a cheat day?

Options

Replies

• SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I'm not planning regular cheat meals and I do find that even with a low daily goal (1200 at this time), I can sometimes swing having something nice and extra when I either make a switch (like last nights zucchini "zoodles" instead of wheat pasta, so I could have a richer sauce and some wine) or get a good workout in.

However, when an event comes up, that is when I do plan on making smart choices and logging, but not letting my way of eating interfere with my fun and relaxation. I have a wedding to go to next weekend that will be a three day, out of town event. I plan on: 1. trying my best to log everything, even when it's just a good guess, 2. making smart choices and switches when I can (no sugary cocktail mixes, sushi instead of pub food etc) and 3. do loads of walking and dancing. I guess one could call it a "cheat" weekend, but I rather just think about it as living my life the way I plan to continue in the long term.
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    What are these cheat days of which you speak?
  • sabolfitwife
    sabolfitwife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I have a very busy weekend away from home schedule, which means eating out at restaurants. I've started weighing in on Friday mornings which leaves me room for a cheat meal (meal being key word), usually dinner out on Friday and Saturday. That being said, I still try to pick the best option while we are out and about, but I don't feel guilty if I go a little over, because I have all week to make up for it.

That's just what works for me, though.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I feel like I am moving away from "cheat meals or days" and eating what I want if I can make it fit into my calories for the day, and sometimes that doesn't happen. For example, a few weeks ago I gave in to my two week craving of a fresh glazed Krispy Kreme donut and ate three of them that day! I worked out to try to cover my damage for the day, but didn't quite succeed. I worked harder the next few days to burn extra calories to make up for it, but it bothered me that I went crazy over the donuts and almost undid my hard work for the entire week! I feel like I have learned from the mistake and I am trying to make better decisions as I continue along this journey. I know that tomorrow my aunt will bring over these butterscotch chocolate rice krispy things that I love and I will probably lose my mind over them and eat way too many of them. Knowing this I am trying to create a large calorie deficit today to give myself some wiggle room for tomorrow and I am planning on going hiking instead of having a rest day to help offset the damage too.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I don't call it cheating. I call it overeating. I do it before my period, every month.
  • doctorregenerated
    doctorregenerated Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Cheating implies that you are on a diet, not living your life.
    I splurge when I feel the occasion may call for it, and if the week I have had is consistent with healthy calorie intake.
  • no_russian
    no_russian Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    Cheat meal twice a week. It helped me get past my weight loss plateau.
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    er'day
  • kimbelle_vie
    kimbelle_vie Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I used to eat out every week. Sometimes twice. So I decided to do a cheat meal once a month. I consider a cheat meal, eating out at restaurant and stopping by fast food places this would include drink, sandwich, and fries. Now sometimes I am on the go and have to eat at fast food place in that case I just do the sandwich and water. I also try to pick the healthiest thing and get grilled if possible. Or look for a subway
  • PurrlyGirl
    PurrlyGirl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    No cheats at all for me. I fit it in my calorie budget, or it doesn't happen. If it works for some folks, that's good for them, but cheat meals turn into a cheat habit reeeeealll quick with me, so I don't risk it. Besides, I've found that I get far more pleasure from indulgent meals knowing that they fit into my budget than I do by ignoring that budget. There's something very satisfying about knowing I'm still walking the weight-loss road while chowing down on my favourite high-calorie meals. :happy:
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    i dont understand the term " cheat day". to begin with.
    i take it as an american term?
    have searched forum. no firm explanation or definition.
    anyone can clarify please?
  • rgdelacruz43
    rgdelacruz43 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    When I eat something like a chocolate bar, I call it a cheat day. But I make sure I'm still within my daily goal lol.
  • GatorDeb1
    GatorDeb1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Never. I like what I eat, no need to cheat on it.
  • GatorDeb1
    GatorDeb1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I never feel the urge to cheat because I already know every Sabbat I will go higher on calories in order to trick my body and avoid a plateau. Just one day a week, no more no less. Never had a plateau to this day with this method. It may not work for everyone though.

Uhm, you know that's actually THE definition of a cheat meal lol
  • SXMEnrico
    SXMEnrico Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have refeed days usually coupled with high volume workouts. Other than that I'll have a high carb treat if I feel my glycogen stores are depleted.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Depends on how you define "cheating", but whither it means fast food, sweets or higher calorie food in general, I have a "cheat day" when the thing I feel like or happen to eat on any given day happens to fall into that category. I rarely have planned days unless there is a certain event or outing. If "cheating" means going over maintenance, then my answer is the same as before, but it happens much less often. I'm usually pretty successful at comfortably keeping it under maintenance.
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Hi new friend!

I never have a cheat day if by that you mean a day you do not log. I don't try to meet calorie goals on a day by day basis, rather I balance them over the week. That gives flexibility for anything I want on a given day and go a little under on others. Not logging means you stick your head in the sand, cross your fingers and hope you don't undo all the deficit you worked hard to achieve. Makes no sense to me.

Plus it reinforces the negative idea that eating sensibly with a moderate deficit is something unpleasant you need a break from. Although Im now on a generous goal on my last couple of kg to loss, I never suffered on less, I ate great and gave nothing up.

I like this answer.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Once a week I have a 'treat day' where I have some cake or something, but stay within calories, and maybe once a month I have a day when I go over calories. I never eat exercise calories so have a big deficit for the week anyway.
  • bigsistruck
    bigsistruck Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat MEAL once a week while losing weight, and in the past when I was maintaining I would have a cheat DAY once a week. I never gained weight from doing it and I went pretty crazy on the cheat day. That being said, I would eat pretty low on the weekdays (1,000 calories a day) but I made sure they were good calories and knowing I had a cheat day coming up every week kept me on track.
  • drepublic
    drepublic Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    CHEAT MEAL BRAH....not cheat day.

Better to have the Cheat MEAL at night...as if you do it earlier in the day you or more likely to turn the cheat meal into a cheat day. Also make the meal last 45 mintues or less. If you are weight training and have been low carbing it (depending on your particular goals), you may opt for a higher carb meal...though i wouldn't go crazy on fat. Like you wouldn't normally eat an entire pizza or an entire box of donoughts in a meal would you? Don't binge...make it a meal...and you'll be fine.

I have cheat meal with my family or make it date night with the wifey once a week. For us it is Saturday night and it takes the place of meal 5 and meal 6 for me. I am on a structured meal plan so this gives me something to look forward to. Although...Friday is Donought Night in that I pound a few doughnuts after my evening leg workout so those carbs have some place to go (carb backloading). :smile:

Hope this helps.