Calorie Counting or Calorie from fat counting

Options
Hi. I normally use MFP to "Count my calories" but I have used the "excuse" the whole time that I have been on MFP that ... "well I do not have a computer at home" or "the app on my phone is too slow" While these things are true, I never once used a notebook for counting them. Well I did use a notebook once but only once. Anyway, here I am today. I bought a calorie journal spacific to that reason. Counting calories at home. I am finally after all these years, tired of all of my excuses.

So my question is. Upon calorie counting, in order to truly go by your deficit, do you count the calories as a whole or the "calories from fat" ?

Replies

• ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options
    All calories because they all count.
    this all day!
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    calories in general you need some fat so don't try to eliminate it

29509743.png
  • PixieQueen25
    PixieQueen25 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    alright, my next question is..

How many "carbs" does one need to "take in" I mean I was told to count carbs too... but i do not want this whole thing to be so overwhelming that i "give up"

If I count calories will this be enough?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

How many "carbs" does one need to "take in" I mean I was told to count carbs too... but i do not want this whole thing to be so overwhelming that i "give up"

Unless you have a medical condition like PCOS you should be fine with just counting calories. There are benefits to making sure you're getting adequate protein and fat though. Protein will help protect your muscle while you eat at a deficit (you should do some resistance training too) and fat is necessary for lots of your body's functions, including absorption of some nutrients.
  • PixieQueen25
    PixieQueen25 Posts: 118 Member
    Options

Unless you have a medical condition like PCOS you should be fine with just counting calories. There are benefits to making sure you're getting adequate protein and fat though. Protein will help protect your muscle while you eat at a deficit (you should do some resistance training too) and fat is necessary for lots of your body's functions, including absorption of some nutrients.

You hit the nail on the head. PCOS and HYPOTHYROIDISM. Wow. This is going to be hard. Im going to remember this though. Resistance training? I workout using insanity/T 25 hybrid plus I add in extra push ups. What else could I do?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

You hit the nail on the head. PCOS and HYPOTHYROIDISM. Wow. This is going to be hard. Im going to remember this though. Resistance training? I workout using insanity/T 25 hybrid plus I add in extra push ups. What else could I do?

Are you being treated for those conditions? If so ask for a referral to a dietician. Generally low-carb is recommended but a dietician will be able to tell you how many carbs and help you create meal plans.

Honestly I don't know much about workout DVDs but you need something that will give you progressive overload. That means you shouldn't just be doing the same thing over and over. With lifting you add weight. With body weight exercises you make the exercises harder. If you've got a gym membership considering something like Starting Strength. If you don't look into Convict Conditioning or You Are Your Own Gym.