de Quervain's Syndrome?

Options
Has anyone had the tendonitis in the wrist and/or thumb known as "de Quervain's Syndrome"? I have been recently diagnosed with it, and my doctor has recommended a holistic treatment program. I am just wondering what others have had success with.....Thanks!

Replies

• hbarney
    hbarney Posts: 434
    Options
    You can also try seeing an Occupational or Hand Therapist for treatment.
    Good luck!
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Good luck!
    Ya...this would be my recommendation and I see this on a weekly basis in my practice. I am a Occ Med PA, but i would talk to your doc and ask him what he thinks about it.
  • elissascotland
    elissascotland Posts: 256 Member
    Options
  • elissascotland
    Options
    Good luck!
    Ya...this would be my recommendation and I see this on a weekly basis in my practice. I am a Occ Med PA, but i would talk to your doc and ask him what he thinks about it.

Or she ;)
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Good luck!

Or she ;)
    I stand corrected...Or She...lol.
  • dc_amaryllis
    dc_amaryllis Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I had a pretty severe case of it on both wrists. I was told it was caused by the repetitive motion of the way I was lifting my baby. I could hardly move my thumbs and it was very painful. The only thing that worked was to have cortisone shots in each wrist. The pain went away immediately. Good luck.
  • Sporty98
    Sporty98 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I had a pretty severe case of it on both wrists. I was told it was caused by the repetitive motion of the way I was lifting my baby. I could hardly move my thumbs and it was very painful. The only thing that worked was to have cortisone shots in each wrist. The pain went away immediately. Good luck.

Did you have normal mobility after the cortisone? The doctor did offer me cortisone, but I've only heard negatives about it......
  • dc_amaryllis
    dc_amaryllis Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Hi Sporty. I was nervous about the cortizone shots, but I was desperate for some relief. I felt better right away. I would say I had normal mobility about an hour after the shots. The sting from the shots was nothing compared to the pain I was feeling in my wrists due to de Quervain's.
  • Sporty98
    Options
    Hi Sporty. I was nervous about the cortizone shots, but I was desperate for some relief. I felt better right away. I would say I had normal mobility about an hour after the shots. The sting from the shots was nothing compared to the pain I was feeling in my wrists due to de Quervain's.

Thanks for sharing this with me.....EVeryone has told me how awful the shots are pain-wise. I have less than half of my normal movement on my right wrist, and I need some help soon! The glucosamine is helping my other aches and pains, too!
  • elissascotland
    Options
    The steroids will help.

There is no robust evidence that the glucosamine helps human joint pain.

I hope that you're soon on the mend. :)

(My usual disclaimer: I am a physician, but I am not your physician.)
  • Sporty98
    Options
    I am about a month into my treatment plan....and my wrists are seemingly better! The left is much better than the right. I have days when the right wrist is very stiff and sore and has NO strength at all. I still cannot bear weight on my hands, but I am trying to avoid doing push-ups and plank poses in my work outs anyways......

(Note: my treatment plan as of right now includes glucosamine and MSM, Omega 3s, antioxidants, and lots of water. Massage with olive oil and heat have also been suggested.)
  • Tori1205
    Tori1205 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've had de quervains for about a month now. Left wrist. Icing, exercises, stretches, splint wearing, ibuprofen....doing all of it. No improvement yet and it's so discouraging. I'm in tears often. I'm doing everything they say to do and nothing ever changes. I'm scared I won't be able to do my job too. I hate this. My dr saw me and did confirm that's what I have. I kinda knew before I went from my research. I don't know what to do. My quality of life is suffering. Injections and surgery don't sound all that great either....I've heard of complications with both.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,156 Member
    Options
    @Tori1205 - I've had it in both wrists and had both surgically repaired with no problems. My right one was done when I had carpal tunnel surgery at the same time (nurse with lots of repititive motions pushing women's legs back when they deliver babies). I did try a cortisone shot in my left one years later and it wasn't as bad as I thought pain-wise. It lasted for 7 or 8 months. Then I did the surgery and it's been fine ever since. Scars are about an inch long. I was out of work two weeks with the left handed one and 4 with the right one - because of the carpal tunnel part. No regrets, complete recoveries on both.