Water Intake

Options
I was reading an article in womens health magazine an something caught my eye.

A lady asks, "How much water is too much? I'm petite ( as so am i) and I drink three liters a day."

The answer, by DR Keri Peterson: The amount of H2O depends on how much you sweat, not your size. If you're a jogger in Miami, 3 liter might be perfect. But if you live somewhere cold and slack on exercise, it could be excessive. Keep an eye on your pee. Dark yellow : you're not getting enough. (DUH!) But if its clear, you may have gone overboard.

She goes on about how you should drink 8 glasses a day but not chug them all at once, yada yada yada.

I guess I just found it interesting cuz my pee has been clear! I'm petite, but I drink AT LEAST 8 glasses... sometimes less. Views and opinions? I feel like my water intake is just fine even tho i pee all the time, and it seems like its sped up my progress losing water weight.

Replies

• heatherw7
    Options
    I should also put that I think I do pretty good on my exercise. At least one to two hours a day. Mostly cardio, some strength.

I dunno.. its cold here, but maybe I'm worring for nothing! :)
  • ajwall3
    ajwall3 Posts: 187
    Options
    Good post... Yeah I try to drink as much water as possible - despite hating it.... I feel like I pee ALL the time! At first when I started this weight-loss plan, I wasn't taking in enough water and I think my body was holding on to it because I looked bloated... did the article say anything about water-weight gain?
  • jedday
    jedday Posts: 119
    Options
    In the Military they no matter what had us drink water. The goal was to keep your pee clear. If you peed clear you are well hydrated. Also the would tell us that the water you drink today is not just for today but it is for tomorrow too. Your body will get rid of the excess water naturally. As long as you are not drinking gallons a day you will not over work you kidneys. So I have always been taught you are all clear when your pee is.
  • pieconspiracy
    Options
    Interesting! I've never thought people could overload on water without realizing. But now that you mention it, I could see it happening.
    I'm sorta on the opposite end , though. Before I started losing weight, I barely drank anything. I just never really felt thirsty. A glass or two of juice or milk a day and I was good. (In the summer, I'd have a large iced cap though) but now I'm really trying to remember to drink about 6 a day. I don't think I could ever to too much water, since I'm not used to drinking at all. :\
  • heatherw7
    Options
    In the Military they no matter what had us drink water. The goal was to keep your pee clear. If you peed clear you are well hydrated. Also the would tell us that the water you drink today is not just for today but it is for tomorrow too. Your body will get rid of the excess water naturally. As long as you are not drinking gallons a day you will not over work you kidneys. So I have always been taught you are all clear when your pee is.

This exactly! My husband is in the military and we have talked about this. And my pee is crystal clear, so this is why I was like... HUH? when i read this.

Its working for me i suppose, so ill stop worrying.

Thanks guys. I figured Im not the only one that would be confused by this article.