1200 calories...more than just veggies & protein?

Options
2»

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Considering the site is telling me in order to lose 2lbs a week I should only eat 1400. I don't see the problem with it. It's not always what you eat. I don't eat junk food. But I do enjoy beer and steak. But last I knew its not the food you make that makes the man.

If your ticker is current, the site is vastly underestimating your maintenance cals. Or alternatively, you are grossly underestimating your actual intake.

As an example, my current intake averaged 2300 last week (the lowest yet) and I weight 173lbs. Strength 4x a week, ridiculously slow LISS on a bike while I watch TV.
  • 1peanutandapumpkin
    Options
    Well I'm only 5'2" so yes, I'm short. My job has me sitting all day 5x a week but I exercise about 3x a week. I have found the only time I lose is when I exercise. (But it comes right back when I don't so I'm on a yo-yo.) So it seems that 1200 is right, but only with exercise. Which led to my question of what the heck do you eat? I can't keep going with just veggies and protein, it's too hard.
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Honestly? Experimentation! And realistic goals. I'd rather up cals to 1300 1400 and get in some good exercise and losses be a bit slower than try to live on the 1200. LOL But there are days I get close even though that isn't my goal (mine is 1600). But it can be done if you are willing to experiment and have a good idea of what you want each meal to be. For me, it's easier to say that MOST of the time, I want each meal and each snack to be a certain calorie amount. Since my cals are 1600, that equals out to 3 meals at 400 and 2 snacks at 200. That means every time I go to make a meal, I measure out the dense foods first to get my numbers. Meats and fats. Then I add on my breads fruits and veg and rebalance from there. So, at breakfast, I know that 3 servings of egg whites are 75. I know I will use butter for my bread and that is 50. I'm at 125. I know my veg (1c mixed) is 60. 2 slices of toast 120. Total is 305. I then have room for coffee with cream (30) and some peach mango preserves (50). 385 of YUM. If I needed to stay at the 300, I could go down to only 1 slice of toast. You can do it; you just have to play with it and experiment with what will work. I don't blame you for not wanting to give up all the good stuff! You just have to take meals you like and focus on what you NEED nutritionally with each meal (for me that's protein typically), and what you NEED taste wise to feel satisfied. Just about any meal can be shaved down or switched around a bit to make it work.