IF or Calorie Cycling?

Options
I am almost in the home stretch of getting to my goal weight. I am at 175lbs, aiming for 150lbs. I am 5'7inches tall.

Anywho...I track by going off of my TDEE. I have recently went from a 500 calorie deficit to 250 calorie deficit, with no changes in the last 2 weeks.

So...Now What?

I want to remain in a deficit, wondering if IF would be more helpful or calorie cycling (going from a 250 deficit, to 750, to 250, etc)

Any insight, suggestions, would be helpful.

Replies

• dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Ill try this again.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Drop back down to where you were when you were losing.

I mean, do whatever you want! If you want to eat between certain hours, do that!

I'd just go back to where I was when I was losing.

I'm a bit taller than you and at 183 (today) and it's getting even harder than when I was at 200. The more you lose, the harder it gets!
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Why did you change it if you were still losing?
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Neither eating protocols will do anything different if your daily average intake is still TDEE. Not saying you are running into this either, as maybe you need another week to see a change, but if eating at TDEE - 250 calories (by whatever eating protocol you choose) daily average is not working for you and TDEE - 500 calories was, then maybe go back to it and come off of it a little slower. So TDEE - 400 for a few weeks, then -300, etc... Or take 50 calorie deductions instead...but run each change for a few weeks (2 weeks might not be enough, maybe 3-4 if you are not seeing any movement) to find the "sweet spot" you are looking for in regards to weightloss.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    neither will do much difference tbh, total weekly deficit is most important
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    People love to suggest that 250 deficit here but the problem is it leaves very little room for error. Most people would rather aim for 500-1000 deficit and hit 250-500 than aim for 250 and hit maintenance. It doesn't matter how careful your tracking is, when working with estimates (including your TDEE and the calories in a chicken breast), 250 is going to be difficult to achieve in practice. And with 25 lbs. to lose, there's no reason you have to aim so low. You have enough body fat to fuel a much higher deficit.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I use a form of IF but that is more because it leaves me easier to get along with than the whole eating a lot of little meals things so recommended. It works for me, but you should do what works well for you.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Calorie cycling, whether done in an IF-themed manner or not, is more about recomp than straight up weight loss.
    With 25lbs still to go and what seems to be some sort of time pressure, you're probably better off sticking with a traditional weekly deficit.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    People love to suggest that 250 deficit here but the problem is it leaves very little room for error. Most people would rather aim for 500-1000 deficit and hit 250-500 than aim for 250 and hit maintenance. It doesn't matter how careful your tracking is, when working with estimates (including your TDEE and the calories in a chicken breast), 250 is going to be difficult to achieve in practice. And with 25 lbs. to lose, there's no reason you have to aim so low. You have enough body fat to fuel a much higher deficit.

I actually stopped losing at 500, which is why I figure I would change it up. This was the first thing I noticed, that with only a 250 deficit it would be very easy to end up hitting maintenance if I could not measure/weigh something completely accurately. I guess it would make most sense to aim for 500-250 deficit.

There is no time pressure - I dont mind waiting a life time, though I find it more motivating when I continue to lose. I guess at times, I do get eager to hit my goal because I feel like I am soooo close but it is harder to keep losing. At 175lbs, I figure it would not be this hard yet.