Would you do P90X or P90X3?

Options
I've done Tony Horton's other stuff (Power 90, P90 Master Series), as well as some other Beachbody workouts, and am considering doing P90X. But now there's also P90X3 with its 30-minute workouts. I wouldn't want to "short" myself by doing P90X3 if there's more to be gained by going through the original P90X with its lengthier workouts. Can I get some opinions on which of these two I should do, and why? Thanks!

Replies

• Beckylynn380
    Beckylynn380 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing a hybrid of P90X3 and Insanity. I can definitely say the 30 minute workouts are good workouts, but I like mixing it up with the intense cardio of the Insanity workouts. My husband did P90X3 only prior to me, and he had great results. The workouts might be shorter, but they are tough and give results! :) Good luck!
  • BrownEyeAngel
    BrownEyeAngel Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am getting really to do the P90X program. My 1st time ever doing any of Tony Horton's workouts. I have done Insanity, hip hop abs, Rocking Body, and several of Julian Micheal's programs. I am to believe that the original P90X gives amazing results in 90 Days depending on how much weight needs to be lost. When I did the Insanity program my body did change but not the way that I wanted. I should have did it again to get the results that I was aiming to get in the 1st place, but the program was hard and it was hard to see myself doing another round. So I gain a few pounds back and several months later I decided to buy P90X and hoping that I change my body for good and learn to eat healthier because that is key to get a healthy and strong body. So I am waiting for the program to arrive so I can dive into this program that I was told is long and challenging. Well if it is as hard as Insanity that I have in for a treat. My I would consider doing P90X3 later but I think for me right now I would like the extra time that the original P90X gives. Hoping that I get more leaner and stronger through this program. Wish me luck I start in a week!
  • LunaGreen
    LunaGreen Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    p90x3 also has a "doubles" schedule... If you have an hour each day for it I would suggest that over the original p90x
  • iamMLH
    iamMLH Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I finished a round of P90X3 earlier this year, and I was very impressed with the results. I've also done P90X. I'd take a few things into account when figuring out which program may be better.

Honestly, I was really impressed by the P90X3 results I had. I was really able to see my body transform week to week. I was also sticking to my macros pretty strictly, and I had hit a really nice sweet spot with them that was probably also making a big difference.

A few years ago I saw similar results with P90X, with two major differences. I don't think my diet was nearly as good as it was with P90X3. I weighed about 10lbs more with a smaller waist. So, I do think had my eating been where it should have been, my results with P90X would have been much more notable.

The thing I really enjoy about doing P90X is that I feel like there is a lot of lifting in there. I like lifting weights and pushing and pulling. It's hard, and I was sore, but I felt like there was a lot more building happening when I had weights in my hands through most of the exercises. X3 gets rid of a lot of the downtime, and has a higher cardio component to it because you are filling your time and constantly working (most of the time).

I'm on my second round of X3 now and I'm trying to do the Mass schedule which has a lot more lifting. I'm also throwing in Insanity because I enjoy the cardio component and plyometric workouts are just fun for me.

The other main reason for doing X3 is that the time really does make a difference. I really prefer the 30 minute workouts. I can fit that in no matter what is going on in my day. There really are no excuses for me.

I hope that wasn't too much rambling. If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a message or post on here. I'll try to keep an eye on the thread.

I also want to make some more friends who are doing beach body programs.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    If you are willing to devote 60-90 minutes a day to your workout the original will serve you better in the long run.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    p90x3 also has a "doubles" schedule... If you have an hour each day for it I would suggest that over the original p90x

The format is not as good for varying goals. X3 is more specific to weight loss and the circuit training format the workouts follow don't lend themselves as well to muscle gain. All you get from doubles is more calorie burn. That's it.
  • CarmineDeMarco
    CarmineDeMarco Posts: 39 Member
    Options

Can you tell me why? Thanks!
  • CarmineDeMarco
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who responded. I think I've learned more now about X3 as compared to the original. I too enjoy the weight-lifting aspect of Tony's workouts, and already commit to lengthy daily workouts, so I think the original P90X is the way to go for me. Thanks again, all.
  • vms4evr
    vms4evr Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I've done all of Tony's stuff. P90, Master Series, P90X, X+, X2, X3. Don't bother with X2. It has too many crazy balance moves that just ask to cause injury. If I had to pick only 1 of his routines I would pick P90X every time.

It is more basic and geared towards strength and conditioning. You lose weight more likely from the intensity, especially the plyo routine. The Ab Ripper in it is still the best and meanest one to do. I like the 60 minute workout. I also like his Yoga routine in that one better, but it is almost 90 minutes. You can short that down to 60 quite easily.

The second choice would be X3. I think he tweaked things from X2 that don't make the most sense or are the safest ideas. Cut the time down. Removed the whole foam roller that was in X2. I'd still do the foam roller though. It does help with knotted muscles.

Legs and Back from the original X is still my favorite workout.

If you're trying to get in better overhaul shape and focus on a clean diet I don't think you go wrong with either.
  • CarmineDeMarco
    Options
    I've done all of Tony's stuff. P90, Master Series, P90X, X+, X2, X3. Don't bother with X2. It has too many crazy balance moves that just ask to cause injury. If I had to pick only 1 of his routines I would pick P90X every time.

Thanks so much. You've confirmed my overall feeling on this. I'm looking to progress to the next level of fitness from the Master Series, so it certainly looks like good-old original P90X is the way for me to go, then to subsequently supplement that with X+. Thanks again. P.S. - You haven't done the "One on One" series by any chance, have you?
  • joansjourney
    joansjourney Posts: 110
    Options
    I love x3 more but my reasoning is simple, I'm a cardio girl so as someone already said it has a large cardio component with weights which is perfect for me. I still LOVE Ab Ripper X and still make it a part of my workout routine. From what you stated I think X would be perfect for you. Good luck!
  • joansjourney
    joansjourney Posts: 110
    Options
    I've done all of Tony's stuff. P90, Master Series, P90X, X+, X2, X3. Don't bother with X2. It has too many crazy balance moves that just ask to cause injury.

I knew there was someone else in the world that's as crazy as me. I've done them all too.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    I just want to reiterate what I said before because I think it's important: X3 is more or less strictly a weight loss/fat burning program. The workout format doesn't do much for people who may have other goals (such as actually building muscle). The original X is better because it follows a format that allows you to achieve different goals other than just weight loss if you wish. X3, you really can't do that. Also I think you're a lot less likely to injure yourself than X3 or X2. They both consist of very awkward movements that require a lot of motor control and coordination.
  • paragme
    Options
    I did 2 weeks of P90x3 and didn't feel much. I had to go back to original P90x. This is my first time and it is tough. Difference between P90x3 and original P90x is night and day. The only reason to do P90x3 is maintain your fitness. Personally I am loving original P90x. Now going back to p90x3 feels like a hack.
  • JonnyQwest
    JonnyQwest Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who responded. I think I've learned more now about X3 as compared to the original. I too enjoy the weight-lifting aspect of Tony's workouts, and already commit to lengthy daily workouts, so I think the original P90X is the way to go for me. Thanks again, all.
    Sounds like you were able to figure out the answer I was going to give......I decided on P90x because of this as well.....the p90x3 is shorter because they emphasize cardio more.....I would rather do a longer workout and emphasize lifting as well. Good luck to you!
  • Dragonflag07
    Dragonflag07 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I haven't done P90X3 so this comment comes with a disclaimer. I did the original P90X and its a good starter program, the problem for me is that it's way too 'chatty'. I did Body Beast and you literally work harder in their 30 minute Bulk workouts than you do in the 60 odd min P90X. Not only did I think the workouts were more efficient, I got way better results from BB. Just my 2 cents - I thought the P90X classic workouts were good but way too long. Esp if you are adding an extra 15 mins 3 x week for Ab Ripper and doing a 90 min yoga. Good luck whatever you choose to do.