sugar free syrup

Options
ouryear002
ouryear002 Posts: 325 Member
:sick: Gross. I bought some becasue we like to do breakfast for dinner about once a week and I was horrified by the amount of calories in regular syrup. But the sugar free stuff I bought was vile. Uber sweet and thin. Any other suggestions for pancakes and waffles that don't break the calorie bank?

Replies

• annie_p
    annie_p Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Berries
  • mjcrothers
    mjcrothers Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Fresh lemon juice and a sprinkle of sugar is really nice. Fresh berries and yoghurt. Small spread of jam. Frozen yoghurt (instead of ice cream) with fruit.

Have fun!

Oh and drizzle some honey over the fresh berries and/or bananas. Yum.
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I don't know what brand you tried but Cary's and Smuckers sugar free syrup is pretty good and more of the consistency of regular syrup.
  • jedday
    jedday Posts: 119
    Options
    I have found only one brand of syrup to taste good. The rest are gross. Cary's Syrup if you want to try that.
  • JoJo1953
    JoJo1953 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I don't know what brand you tried but Cary's and Smuckers sugar free syrup is pretty good and more of the consistency of regular syrup.
    I agree with Cary's
  • duffylinn
    Options
    Try some fruit preserves.... (you can choose either organic, sugar free or regular). Get a few spoonfuls and put it in a heat safe container (I use a coffee mug) and then I zap it in the microwave for a few seconds until thin. Pour over pancakes, waffles or french toast :)
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    this is going to be counter to what you're asking for, but what about real maple syrup? it does have a lot of sugar, but you need such a small amount of it since it's so full of flavor!

otherwise, berries! so yummy. maybe also making different types of pancakes? i am in love with lemon ricotta pancakes made using fat-free ricotta :)
  • frogmama
    frogmama Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Cary's is pretty good.
  • sbusch21
    Options
    I really like Mrs. Butterworth's sugar-free syrup.
  • Jess21684
    Jess21684 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    whenever i go to IhOP i get one of the "fit" selections the harvast gran n nut pancakes (to die for!) and saw how much reg syup is OMG! Ive been using the sugar free stuff and i agree its really thin and watery almost! i feel like it absorbs so fast and i hafta keep putting more on all the time so by the time im done its prob still too many cals then i wanted from syrup!
  • ouryear002
    ouryear002 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I going to pick up some Cary's, fruit preserves, and berries the next time I go shopping!
  • Tomlette
    Options
    I just use real maple syrup. It requires less to taste good, and actually has less calories than most "regular" syrups. It's more expensive, true, but still very good.

I've heard a berry compote is really good on pancakes and waffles, too.