Black Bean Brownies

Options
luckymommy
luckymommy Posts: 11 Member
Has anyone tried this recipe or one similar, but substituted applesauce for the oil? I have made muffins and brownie mixes before subbing the apple for oil, but im not sure it would work in this recipe. I dont want to waste ingredients!!

Ingredients
15oz can black beans (drained & rinsed well)
4 large eggs
1/2 cup granulated Splenda
3 tbsp cocoa powder
2 tbsp strong coffee (or 1 tbsp instant coffee dissolved in 1 tbsp hot water)
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp canola or olive oil
1 tsp vanilla
Directions
Preheat oven to 350*F.
Prepare an 8x8 baking pan by spraying it with cooking spray.
Mix all ingredients in a food processor or blender.
Add the beans last and make sure you blend VERY well.
Bake for 30 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool before slicing.
Brownies are approx. 2"x2" in size.

Replies

• dieselveins
    dieselveins Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Yum I think I'll try this one.. looks yummy.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Wow! Very interesting. Next time I get a kitchen at my disposal, I'm going to try making these. Would they really be chocolaty, though, with only 3tbsp of cocoa?

Oh, and the applesauce vs. oil debate... there's only 2tbsp of oil, so I wouldn't fret it. Follow the recipe once, then decide whether it could use a little more sweetness from applesauce and a little less grease from oil--or if that would make them stale as bricks.
  • luckymommy
    luckymommy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    i was reading the comments on the website i found, and most people said they would add more cocoa to it, so i think thats what i will do.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    a friend of mine has made them and said they are ok... weird texture I think she said..... BUT I would completely recommend NO PUDGE FUDGE BROWNIES!! You make them with nonfat vanilla yogurt.... or actually we use plain yogurt and a splash of vanilla. But they are all natural, nonfat and delish! :-D
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Do you have the recipe?
  • bdavenport62
    Options
    could you maybe do half and half? 1 tbsp oil and the other applesauce.
  • Bmorrow
    Bmorrow Posts: 169
    Options
    This recipe looks yummy, I don't think I'd really let 2 Tsp. of oil bother me...the applesause is usually not as moist as the oil of course. I am definetly trying these. Thanks for sharing!
  • Bmorrow
    Bmorrow Posts: 169
    Options
    a friend of mine has made them and said they are ok... weird texture I think she said..... BUT I would completely recommend NO PUDGE FUDGE BROWNIES!! You make them with nonfat vanilla yogurt.... or actually we use plain yogurt and a splash of vanilla. But they are all natural, nonfat and delish! :-D
    OK...I don't think it's fair to mention a recipe and not share it...I'll be watching for the recipe for these. Sounds YUMMY!
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    Lol no pudge fudge brownies come in a box actually! You can buy them at trader joes, but the other grocers should have them too. The original fudge flavor comes in a pink box with a pig on it...:) seriously worth trying. Sorry guys I should have said that! Oh! And you can make individual servings too, one at a time. Not sure if I mentioned that! ;)
  • jamielr84
    jamielr84 Posts: 545
    Options
    I have made black bean brownies before but it was just a box of brownie mix and a can of beans. You have to make sure the beans are really smooth...use a blender! I thought they were good.
  • sarakaufman
    sarakaufman Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    So in my ww magazine they have this thing to save points. You substitute eggs and oil for Black beans. But thats if you buya box cake mix. just tought I say that. I have a friend and her child is allergic to peants, eggs, and pets. So she has tried this and saids its actually good to her suprise.
    Has anyone tried this recipe or one similar, but substituted applesauce for the oil? I have made muffins and brownie mixes before subbing the apple for oil, but im not sure it would work in this recipe. I dont want to waste ingredients!!

Ingredients
    15oz can black beans (drained & rinsed well)
    4 large eggs
    1/2 cup granulated Splenda
    3 tbsp cocoa powder
    2 tbsp strong coffee (or 1 tbsp instant coffee dissolved in 1 tbsp hot water)
    1 tsp baking powder
    2 tbsp canola or olive oil
    1 tsp vanilla
    Directions
    Preheat oven to 350*F.
    Prepare an 8x8 baking pan by spraying it with cooking spray.
    Mix all ingredients in a food processor or blender.
    Add the beans last and make sure you blend VERY well.
    Bake for 30 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool before slicing.
    Brownies are approx. 2"x2" in size.
  • sarakaufman
    Options
    Lol no pudge fudge brownies come in a box actually! You can buy them at trader joes, but the other grocers should have them too. The original fudge flavor comes in a pink box with a pig on it...:) seriously worth trying. Sorry guys I should have said that! Oh! And you can make individual servings too, one at a time. Not sure if I mentioned that! ;)
    I love those no pudge brownies. You can get them at Super Targets and Cub foods too. The single servings is the best so there an't a whole pan looking at you.
  • SarahStrominger
    SarahStrominger Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    made these the other night. But instead of Oil and Splenda - I used HONEY!!!!!! They are OUT OF THIS WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I took them to work and ppl could not believe what was in them!!! Also - bc beans are SOOO rich in FIBER - you feel FULL after just one of these brownies. I follwed this exact recipe:

http://www.wellsphere.com/healthy-cooking-article/fudgy-rich-black-bean-brownies/904479

I did not do the nuts though, even though I like them. Couldn't spare the cals that day. Hahahaha. And the butter I used was PROMISE Lite butter - so low in calories. ENJOY!!!!!
  • sarakaufman
    Options
    So I made black bean brownies and I love them. and my son could't even tell I did something different. untell I told him.
  • kintegra
    kintegra Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    bump!!!
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CraigIW
    CraigIW Posts: 176
    Options
    Is this the skinnytaste.com recipe?
  • claudiandw
    claudiandw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    These sound good, have you tried the Weight Watchers Brownie made only with black beans and brownie mix........they are awesome!!!! :smile:
  • katie_on_a_mission
    Options
    I make them without oil (or applesauce); the beans themselves will make the brownies moist enough. I also use 4 tbsp of cocoa and don't use vanilla, but maybe I'll try it. I swear by dieting with black bean brownies--enjoy!!
  • katythemommy
    katythemommy Posts: 437 Member
    Options

I LOVE those!!! I make them with Greek yogurt - so good!!