Crohns disease, colitis and losing weight

Options
I am 21 years old and have recently been diagnosed with crohns disease. At a size 16 and when people find out about what I have I am constantly judged and considered a lier as I'm not stick thin. Also with medication making me sick I am finding it really hard to work out as any exercise is making me ill. I would really like to chat to anybody who can relate to this.:smile:

Replies

• meg312
    Options
    Hi Annmarie!

I just came across your post, and I completely understand what you are going through. I have been diagnosed with Crohn's for 10 years, but I seem to flare most with stress and have had a fairly decent time with it. A year ago, I was a size 24. I wasn't at my highest weight, but very close. I decided to get into the gym and was LOVING it, then I also went to a hypnotherapist, and currently have lost over 50 pounds. I was excited about the healthy weight loss, but around Christmas I had to be hospitalized because I got a bad flare (emotional junk). I'm so frustrated now because I'm having a hard time getting this one under control. I can't walk too far because of the horrible pains in my stomach from inflammation, and I definitely can't lift weights. I feel like I'm flabby and sick, and I still get the stares from the doctors because of the weight (even though I've come so far). With the medication and the exercise making me sick, it gets so frustrating!!!!! I understand, and if you ever want to talk I'm here.
  • amrluvarr
    amrluvarr Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just saw this as well and I've been through the same thing! It took 7 years and finally reaching a breaking point before I had a doctor listen to me. Right before I was put to sleep for my colonoscopy the doctor told me he didn't think he would find anything because of my weight so don't be upset if it's just IBS. He was shocked afterwards and diagnosed me with crohns, this was a little over a year ago. If anything I think I struggle more to lose weight. I never have a lot of energy, I always feel bloated and health foods like fruit and veggies put me in so much pain. I ate a salad a few days ago and I'm still paying for it today. I have about 100lbs to lose and lost 16 so far. I've struggled the last few weeks as I seem to be in a flare but I have an appointment with my GI Friday. May need to switch up some medication!
  • meg312
    Options
    That's what is so crazy about this stupid disease. Everything that we have been told is "healthy" goes out the window when you flare. I had to start eating white bread because of the lack of fiber...I hadn't eaten white bread in years!!! I do really miss salads though. I know it'll be better once the flare settles, but this one has lasted so long. The journey can be very disheartening. It helps to see how others are making it through though! :smile:
  • pinkprincess3082
    pinkprincess3082 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed about 15 months ago. The worst flare I had left me bedridden for weeks and I lost over two stone. Once I recovered (took about 6 months) I was actually really happy with my new figure - I had NEVER been that slim. Plus the nature of crohns meant I could eat what I liked and I would never put on weight. I was still suffering a lot though.

I started having regular infliximab infusions and the difference is amazing! Unfortunately the weight started to pile back on again! I am trying to get back to the weight I was happy with but the lack of energy I suffer from makes it so hard. I have to force myself but I know it's worth it.
  • ammeg1234
    ammeg1234 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've just come across this post.. I was diagnosed with Colitis last year and feel like I am the only person struggling with this disease who is overweight!! I am currently a UK 16, the largest I have ever been EVER. A lot of it is to do with anxiety and depression which I think were lurking inside me for a while and have now come out in full force since my diagnosis. I am feeling positive now and have done for the last couple of weeks but I am finding the weight is coming off so slowly, much slower than ever before.

I hope you dont mind if I add you!
  • sarahs8705
    sarahs8705 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It is very comforting to find this post and that I am not the only one that is overweight with Crohn's. I just recently found out that I have this disease and while looking for advise on what to eat or avoid to reduce flares up it seems to be all food that you wouldn't consider healthy. Before I found out what was causing my issues I was trying to eat healthier by eating more veggies, fruit, milk products, and whole grains.

Does anyone have any tips for what healthy foods to eat that doesn't cause the Crohn's to flare? I have been trying to research online, but stop after reading terrible stories and not getting any real dietary advise.
  • Wyantan
    Wyantan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I have found this group. I was diagnosed with Crohn's for 23yrs. I went 10yrs without any flare ups. Then 3/4yrs ago, starting having flare ups. Now I was hospitalized twice this year already and the Dr have told me there's no way I can continue unless I start taking Humira, which I have been avoiding due to the side effects. Anyway, I've resigned myself to start it next week.
    I'm currently on steroids and my weight since May has gone up over 50lbs. Needless to say it's depressing. But I'm determined to get my weight under control and have starting a new exercise plan. Would love to be friends who understand the frustration of living with Crohn's and still trying to lose weight
  • BuddhaMom74
    Options
    I had no idea I had it, then last summer I went to the ER as I had pretty severe pain in my stomach for a few weeks that wouldn't go away. As it turns out, I had such a raging infection in my bowel that I ended up having to have emergency surgery where they removed about a quarter of my bowel and about a foot of my small intestine - talk about a shocker!! Again, because of my weight, I think everyone was a little shocked. To add insult to injury - I actually gained 40lbs in the last year since my surgery - I feel like the only person in the world who GAINED weight while eating gluten free / dairy free!!

After a recent colonoscopy, I got a clean bill of health and have been told to go back to normal eating (except when/if??) I have a flare up. I had a bit of stomach issues last week along with runny stool, but I laid off all the raw veggies for a few days and it seemed to subside.

So, I'm still kind of learning to navigate eating and how to recognize a flare up - because clearly I didn't the last time!! :)
  • siobhanmoo
    siobhanmoo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys,
    I'm a proper noob at this and this is the first thread I've posted in - kind of close to my heart I guess.

I've got chrohns, diagnosed when I was 21 (I am now 39) - I was REALLY sick for 10 years or so, in my case not so much flare ups as constant, and I had awful abcesses and surgical problems. I had a total colectomy in 2005 - removal of large intestine, rectum and *kitten* (sorry, TMI), and quite frankly it was the best thing I ever did - not a day's sickness since. My chrohns was only ever in the terminal colon, I guess I'm lucky.

Anyway, I stopped by to offer some diet advice, having had to live with constant chrohns for so long I've pretty much been through it all :) - but this is only my opinion!

Food to avoid - anything with a skin on (including potatoes), anything with nuts or seeds in (like bread etc), anything massively fibrous (sadly a lot of fruit and veg fall into this category, especially green beans - dont even go there). Dont even think about popcorn or citrus fruit. Or coconut. Wholemeal/seeded bread or pasta is probably not a good idea, nor is muesli. Try to avoid anything thats 'bitty' like corn or nuts, because chrohns causes little pits in the wall of the bowel, and things like that can get lodged in a pit and cause problems.

Try fairly smooth, easy to digest foods, like noodles, pasta, potatoes, a few soft salad leaves like lambs lettuce, the top of brocolli (stalk is a bit fibrous), cauliflower in small portions, soft cheeses, mushrooms (chew 'em well though), soups, yoghurts, smoothies in small portions. Chicken is GREAT, eat lots of that. And fish. sausages are OK. Cereals are good - cornflakes, rice crispies, cheerios, porridge.

Things I used to eat a lot of when my chrohns was bad: roast chicken with a few bits of salad or some new potatoes (the skin isnt so bad on them but dont eat too many), baked spuds with creme fraiche and chives (didnt eat the skin of the spud), mushrooms on toast, chicken wraps (in a tortilla thing), noodles with some kind of chicken or fish and soy sauce and mushies, sausage and mash, toad in the hole, macaroni cheese, lentil soup (heinz). Loads of cereals.

Having said all that, I was really thin while I was ill, but now I'm healthy (and trying to drop a couple of lbs) I still have to be a little bit careful of what I eat due to my *ahem* altered mechanics. I still eat all those things, just in small portions if they're a bit lardy!

Everyone is different, but I hope you find something useful here.
    Good luck to you all
    x
  • LEJ2015
    LEJ2015 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I just found this post and I was wondering if you were all still active on MFP? I am new to this website/app and I have Crohns Disease and I would love to have some friends on here who understand what I am going through. I sent friend requests so hopefully you are all interested in adding me. Thanks!