Does just counting calories really work?

Options
13»

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Short answer: create a calorie deficit.

Long answer: figure out what you can sustain to lose weight and maintain to keep the weight off. If that's calorie counting, great. If that's being paleo, or being on south beach, great. Do what works for you.

And, yes, creating the deficit is easier when you move more. Walking is a great way to burn more calories day in and day out.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Yes. Sort of.
    The real key is losing weight in a healthy way and then maintaining that weight loss. Right?
    I could never stick with something that didn't actually nourish my body properly. Weight loss would happen --I lost 50 pounds three times over 15 years on Weight Watchers-- but each time I put it all back on because I couldn't stick with it.
    A little over two years ago, I began eating a lot more nutrient-rich, less calorie-dense foods in abundance (green veggies, fruit, colorful veggies, LOTS more vegetables) and adding in beans, good fats (like heavenly avocados and nuts/seeds) and whole grains. Not only did I open my taste buds up to a whole lot more veggies I'd never tried before, but I actually got healthier and felt better than ever. The weight loss is great but the added benefit of just plain feeling good again, without being hungry all the time, is a real plus!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Yes. Sort of.
    The real key is losing weight in a healthy way and then maintaining that weight loss. Right?
    I could never stick with something that didn't actually nourish my body properly. Weight loss would happen --I lost 50 pounds three times over 15 years on Weight Watchers-- but each time I put it all back on because I couldn't stick with it.
    A little over two years ago, I began eating a lot more nutrient-rich, less calorie-dense foods in abundance (green veggies, fruit, colorful veggies, LOTS more vegetables) and adding in beans, good fats (like heavenly avocados and nuts/seeds) and whole grains. Not only did I open my taste buds up to a whole lot more veggies I'd never tried before, but I actually got healthier and felt better than ever. The weight loss is great but the added benefit of just plain feeling good again, without being hungry all the time, is a real plus!
    GREAT POST!
  • christhenix
    christhenix Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    It's working for me. I trry not to exceed the calorie count everyday, but don't cane myself if I go over a little. I combine it with 15-30 mins of gentle aerobics 6 days a week, and a 3 mile walk 3-4 times a week. So, nothing too extreme, and I am down 30lbs in three months, :smile:
  • malcolmjcooper
    malcolmjcooper Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't work for you I'm thinking you are not counting acurately enough it's simple maths
  • candidcamster
    candidcamster Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    What I've learned is calorie counting in general does work, but it is a little more complicated than that. Sometimes what you eat can have a huge impact even if you're getting exact amount of calories as you were prior to your journey. For example I noticed when I switched out my 100-calorie Milk Chocolate bars for Vitamuffins (also 100 calories each) I lost more weight, the Vitamuffins have nutrients (namely fiber) that the milk chocolate bar doesn't have, and that can make a difference over time.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Yes, if your problem is that you don't know how many calories you're eating in a day, and you're willing to swap out some foods for lower calorie ones or eat a little less.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!