I can't stay motivated.

Options
I really need help with losing weight. I am only 19 years old and i'm 16 stone. I have been over weight my whole life so I know everything about food/exercise and so on. I once lost around 3-4 stone by only eating breakfast and pasta. It was dangerous and I wont do that again. I won't lie.. I have tried to do that again but I just can't. I'm addicted to pizza and take aways. I'm always trying to find an excuse to have a take away. Cause i'm happy/sad/unsure/nervous. I can't seem to stick at eating healthy and I don't know why. When I do eat healthy I absolutely love it! I just can't do it. Does anyone know any websites where I can get physical help?

Replies

• alydar42
    alydar42 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    As someone who travels, I can relate to the pizza and take aways. If I know I'm going to have to 'dine out' I adjust to low-sodium, low-fat, high protein foods during the day, so I can 'reward' myself with dining out. If I stick with it, then pizza/take aways. If not, I take away a salad with protein (f.i., grilled chicken, guacamole, no dressing). It leaves me in control of the situation. Portion control is the key. I never eat more than 2 slices of pizza in a sitting -- usually one balanced with a side salad. If you want to lose weight to be happier with yourself, see the take aways as a treat (in moderation) when you meet your goal for the week. My real weakness is Ben & Jerry's. If I can fit it in at the end of the day after tracking everything I eat, I allow myself one serving. If not, I don't. Rather difficult task, but it feels so good when I can. =) If I start to feel 'snacky' and it's not in my daily game plan, I drink water and take a brisk walk. Exercise curbs my appetite. Ultimately, being/staying at my healthy weight and fit will make me happier than cheating on my diet and delaying reaching goal.
  • Ump78
    Ump78 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Stand nude before a mirror, completely relaxed. Do you like what you see? That should be al the motivation you need.
  • Msbarnes91
    Msbarnes91 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My motivation came from health problems. Being told you have high cholesterol and will have to take a pill for the rest of my life did not sit well with me. Then, I saw the results and I got this boost of energy and passion to lose the weight. It has changed my life for the better! Hope you get the motivation to lose the weight! You can do it!!! Rooting for you!!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    If you know everything about food/exercise etc., then why would you be overweight and have a problem with it?

Some tough love here: You don't know as much as you think you do.

As for motivation, that's an internal thing. It's going to come down to how important it is to you. The less important, the more you'll find excuses not to excel or achieve. And vice versa.

Probably help if you wrote down your pros and cons of why you want to do this and look at it objectively then decide on what plan of action you put together to achieve it.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • HisStrengthCounselor
    Options
    First of congratulations on your effort to try to lose weight. It's not easy and it sounds like you know what to do but just don't do it. What is underlying the reason you don't do the things you are supposed to do. You have to figure what that is if you are to have any success. You have to evaluate your relationship with food. What are you thinking about, what are you feeling when you eat. Are you eating to cope with emotions? Struggle with low self esteem? Emotional problems need to be dealt with by other means than food.
  • r41nb0w7
    Options
    I guess I eat junk food because i've ate it my whole life. Its a comfort to me. I feel like a part of me is missing whehn I dont eat junk food, which is why I can never stick at it for more than a week. I don't really have any emotions when eating junk food. Its just going in. On one hand I know I need to stop eating like this and I want to, more than ever. But on the other hand I can't. I can't let go of junk food... Its a port of me. Ugh
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    I guess I eat junk food because i've ate it my whole life. Its a comfort to me. I feel like a part of me is missing whehn I dont eat junk food, which is why I can never stick at it for more than a week. I don't really have any emotions when eating junk food. Its just going in. On one hand I know I need to stop eating like this and I want to, more than ever. But on the other hand I can't. I can't let go of junk food... Its a port of me. Ugh
    Well you don't have to give up junk food entirely ( I personally eat it at least 2 times a week), you just have to learn how to control how much of it you eat. Weight loss is about calories in/out first and foremost.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • pennyk54166
    pennyk54166 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I can understand. I wasn't taught "healthy eating" growing up. So I am trying to teach myself. One day at a time. One meal at a time. You can do this. You just have to figure out your reason "WHY"
  • gonzanab
    gonzanab Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You don't have to give up junk food entirely to lose weight. I like to have a cheat meal once and awhile. The key is moderation. I do think you should use MFP to log in what you eat and count your calories too. The way you will lose weight is gradually which is something you should remember.

As for the motivation part, take it a day at a time. I like to write in a journal and write every positive decision I made throughout the day. This helps me stay on track and not feel bad if I do slip up.

I hope this helps. I know you can do it!
  • parmeshta
    parmeshta Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have had the similar struggles as you. The struggle will go on, but you can reduce it to a large extent.

1. Don't try to stop eating pizza or whatever you like to eat. Bad habits cannot be eliminated by thinking about them. Instead, start eating healthy food first and then eat pizza. That's the first step to getting healthier. Eat a big salad and then eat pizza. You will not be able to eat as much. If you like to drink coke with your pizza, it's ok. Don't order the coke or pour it for yourself until you've eaten most of your pizza. Then pour an 8oz glass and drink it. No more.

2. Start researching on the hazards of eating processed food. Knowledge is power. Research deep and look for how soda can be bad for your health. Read about everything you eat. Find out detailed nutritional information about all the food items you love to eat today.

3. Start exercising a little bit EVERYDAY. 15 minutes on the treadmill - just walk for the first 2 weeks. Then maybe increase it to 20 minutes. Develop good habits.

The only way to fight bad habits is to start replacing them with good one's, a little bit at a time. If you simply try to eliminate bad habits, it doesn't work! It gets worse. Trust me you can win! You may fail multiple times, but it's ok as long as you keep coming back and trying again. One day, could be years from now, but if you keep at it, you will finally overcome the bad habits.
  • r41nb0w7
    Options
    That is the first time someone has told me to eat something healthy before junk food and I think it would work. I get full up so easily. The only problem is, I never stop when i'm full. Thank you so much for that advice, I really think it will help. Beat one bad habbit at a time! =)
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options

It's comfort eating, you need to find something else that makes you happy instead of eating. It could just be using the computer and not snacking or chillin outside I suppose. You can still have junk food, my whole diary is made of junk food lol, but you gotta do it in moderation. I sometimes go over, but usually it's not substantial like Saturday, but those days happen too.

My old motivation when I was younger was watching Supersize vs. Superskinny, it's more of a shock thing than motivation I suppose? Made that hunger go away.
  • soyosoy
    soyosoy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Just wait for the moment you feel are ready to change.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Get some friends who can provide you with support plus what the others said.

You are only 19, bit its still old enough where you cna make a decision as to whats good for you and why.

I like the ideas of incorportaing a little fast food, but it has to fit with your deficit and has to be workable. Id focus on the eating well and sensibly first. It probably means eating smarter than the crash diet you described earlier. You need a different approach form previous efforts and understanding your own motivation and reasons will help you focus.

Baby steps first just keep going and make sure its in the right direction.
  • CrunchyDad
    CrunchyDad Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Bad eating habits take a long time to break for good. Personally I've been at it for 6 years, because it's not just the food you have to change, it's yourself. I'm still nowhere near perfect, I have cheat meals every week. But it gets a lot easier, just take it one day and one step at a time.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    "I can't stay motivated" = "I can't be bothered" :drinker:
  • stevenlcopeland
    stevenlcopeland Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Take a good look at other people when you walk down the street waddling and limping due to being over weight. Do you want to end up like that ? You need to realize that being obese can and will have an affect on other people. Don't believe me well about 3 years ago I had 2 weeks vacation scheduled over Christmas planned and had it planned for nearly 10 months. My daughter came in from out of state. My co-worker had lived a life of fatness and was successful in destroying his body. Due to him having hip replacement surgery and complications TOTALLY due to being fat, my vacation was cancelled and I worked the holidays that I was so looking forward to with my family. I'm committed to not being fat because of the affect it will have on other people. If you can be happy being fat knowing that someday you will have an affect on somebody else and that affect on that other person may not be pleasant, then I wouldn't worry about it. If you do not want to adversely impact other people's lives being over weight, then you need to start today by stopping the lame excuse of being addicted to food. That does not fly with me, you are either all in or all out. Is this tough love on you ? I guess you could say yes. I do care about other people wanting to lose weight and here to help anyway I can but I'm not going to tell you stuff you want to hear. I'm telling you stuff that you need to hear
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I believe in starting where you are. Start by logging whatever you are eating - regardless of how many calories. Expect it to be over the set goals. Just start there and then find something you can change to make it better. That's where I started.

I am far from always motivated. I've even quit twice for up to 2 weeks and resumed. I've built the plan that I can live with - not the one somebody else thinks I should do. It's slow and comfortable. I think we make big mistakes when we think it has to be hard to work. I don't believe it's all or nothing. I don't believe I need to be perfect or quit. I believe I'm in it for the distance. I believe I will make more changes - as I go. I know sometimes I have to relax and sometimes I get more rigid, but it keeps me on the path in the end.

Friend me if you like.
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    "I can't stay motivated" = "I can't be bothered" :drinker:

I was thinking that, but you can't say it out loud..
  • bramble345
    bramble345 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Maybe make your own pizza? I sometimes buy premade bases, cut in half and just load up that with pretty virtuous stuff. That way theres no other half left all cooked and yummy to tempt you when you're really full and you can weigh and log all the ingredients, reduce cheese etc to keep under your limits. I agree with the eating something low cal first too, i've used homemade veg soup or salad to take the edge off the munchies. The thing thats really got me off the takeaway junk food is realising that though i really enjoyed choosing and ordering, after the first few mouthfuls it was never all that great, yet i'd keep eating and then feel overfilled, horrible and guilty. And make sure you've got healthy food in at home thats ready to eat so easier and quicker that reaching for th etakeaway menu. Good luck