Anyone do Overeaters Anonymous?

Options
I'm looking for folks who work an OA program and would like to help one another. I've tried lots of diets and found that I am a compulsive overeater (eating over feelings) and diets are not the solution for me. I've been in and out of OA for a long time...always leaving to try to control my eating, which always got worse. It is progressive for me. I'm not religious but have found a higher power that works for me.

I have been abstaining from my problem foods and following a specific food plan for over 2 years (no sugar or wheat). I weighed 232.5 and am down to 177 at the moment and would like to eat down to 145.

Best wishes to all!
Melissa

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    There was a post the other day:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1288414-oa-but-not-religious

ps...well done on your weight loss to date!
  • MelissaChambers1972
    Options
    Thank you!
  • RossTexas
    RossTexas Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have attended OA for about 5 years. I originally lost about 100 pounds using a program at the famous Cooper Clinic. I did not want to continue to pay the $2,000 for 8 weeks, but I still wanted a support group. OA has worked for me at $2 / meeting.

I have not lost much more at OA, but I also have not gained it back! That was one of my main goals ... no matter how far I got down, it would be a one-way street!

I am religious, a Born-Again Christian, so I find the spiritual nature of OA helpful as well.

In addition to the weekly conversation on food issues, I have found it helpful to eliminate some of my trigger foods. Basically, there are just some things that are Not My Food. This makes their attraction disappear!

A minister once said, giving up something 95% is a Beating, giving it up 100% is a Breeze. This has held true for me.

Best wishes with your journey toward a healthier you!
  • MichelleOnWheels
    MichelleOnWheels Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm stealing your minister's quote.
  • blunderwhere
    blunderwhere Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Friend of Bill sitting in back of room here. So grateful those 12 steps work for the rest of us.