Women's Hiking Gear

Options
My family has decided to start hiking more often -- nothing extreme and not overnight (yet). We'll be doing some day hiking in the wilderness areas (no services, carry in what you need for the day) and much of the year will be hiking in hot, dry Arizona conditions.

If you do a lot of hiking, what kind of gear do you like best?

Women's hiking boots?

Women's hiking pants?

Hydration day pack?

Anything else (besides the obvious first aid kit, etc.)?

Replies

• singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Most important--boots that are comfortable, sturdy, and fit well, and a sock combination that prevents blisters (I use a thin wool sock turned inside out next to my foot and a heavier wool sock over it for cushioning). Take the time to break them in wearing them around the house and in the neighborhood before you head out for a day-long hike.

I like a day pack that has a light frame and a waist belt to help support the load (mine is a woman's pack from REI). It's small enough to carry easily, but big enough to hold a jacket and the 10 Essentials (safety and weather gear).

You don't need special clothes, but I find that quick-dry synthetic pants are better than cotton jeans when you get sweaty from hiking. If your temperature conditions change from the beginning to the end of the hike, you might want to consider pants with zip-off legs so you can have shorts for the warm part of the day.
  • misstweedy
    misstweedy Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I really recommend going to a good outdoor store to buy hiking boots. Mine are Raichle and I'm very happy with them but more to the point, in a good store you'll be able to try them on and walk around in them. My store had a little incline set up so I could try them uphill and downhill. Same goes for a daypack, try it on and make sure the backstraps don't rub on the sides of your neck. Also get one with a hip and breast strap, everything else will get painful after a couple of hours.
  • abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    not a female, but for hiking and stuff in general - Features socks are absolutely ideal in my opinion. I wear them for working out, wore them on my 35 mile+ Rachel Carson Trail challenge hike - and have never had any problems with them.

In terms of hydration, I love my Camelback - there are tons of good hydration kits out there, so I recommend trying them on before you buy.
  • aelphabawest
    aelphabawest Posts: 173 Member
    Options

Women's hiking boots?

Women's hiking pants?

Hydration day pack?

The one thing you shouldn't skimp on is the boots. Splurge if you must. Get good soles, good fitting, boots. If you're in the desert, try to avoid big heavy leather ones.
    I really like prana's pants, but they don't work for everyone and are expensive (I hunt for them on sale).
    I use an REI daypack that I got on sale for $20 like, six years ago, that has a hydration area for my camelbak. I love this pack so much, but they don't make that exact model anymore. REI does tend to make very solid packs though. In a place like AZ, I would make sure whatever pack you got had a separate water holder - you want to be carrying about 4 L of water on you (some combo of hydration pack and bottles) and you'll need that for the bottles. I also really liked nuun hydration tablets when I was in the desert and one of my L was always electrolyte water (also, they're not sugary and only 12 calories).

I really like ex officio for wicking underwear and I find that sort of thing important when hiking.

A bandana that you can wet and then put around your neck was great when I was hiking in the Grand Canyon last month. Also, a hat. Even a goofy one - big brimmed - to have your own portable shade.

Oh, and I really like smart wool for socks. Even in the desert, although wool seems counterintuitive.

Go to a place like REI or your local outdoor store and talk to the people there and actually get fitted for boots and a pack. They're usually really knowledgeable. Yes, they want to sell you stuff - but (like my sister, who works in a local NC outdoors chain) - they're also people who spend almost every free moment outdoors and know their *kitten*.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

Any brands for pants? I'm really not sure which would be the best?

I'm leaning towards a Camelbak L.U.X.E. NV for a day pack and Merrell boots, but I'll look at the Raichle boots as well.

Any more info?
  • aseymour13
    aseymour13 Posts: 765 Member
    Options

Women's hiking boots?

Women's hiking pants?

Hydration day pack?

The one thing you shouldn't skimp on is the boots. Splurge if you must. Get good soles, good fitting, boots. If you're in the desert, try to avoid big heavy leather ones.
    I really like prana's pants, but they don't work for everyone and are expensive (I hunt for them on sale).
    I use an REI daypack that I got on sale for $20 like, six years ago, that has a hydration area for my camelbak. I love this pack so much, but they don't make that exact model anymore. REI does tend to make very solid packs though. In a place like AZ, I would make sure whatever pack you got had a separate water holder - you want to be carrying about 4 L of water on you (some combo of hydration pack and bottles) and you'll need that for the bottles. I also really liked nuun hydration tablets when I was in the desert and one of my L was always electrolyte water (also, they're not sugary and only 12 calories).

I really like ex officio for wicking underwear and I find that sort of thing important when hiking.

A bandana that you can wet and then put around your neck was great when I was hiking in the Grand Canyon last month. Also, a hat. Even a goofy one - big brimmed - to have your own portable shade.

Oh, and I really like smart wool for socks. Even in the desert, although wool seems counterintuitive.

Go to a place like REI or your local outdoor store and talk to the people there and actually get fitted for boots and a pack. They're usually really knowledgeable. Yes, they want to sell you stuff - but (like my sister, who works in a local NC outdoors chain) - they're also people who spend almost every free moment outdoors and know their *kitten*.

This ^^^^^ I would have the same socks that you are going to buy or wear when you try them on. It makes a huge difference. REI, Cabella or one of the good outdoor stores also have great hiking pants. You can also try them on and sometimes find them on line at better prices. Patagonia tends to have great sales on line.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Not a woman but...

Skip boots. 1 - your not carrying extreme weight to need the potential greater stability. 2 - they are hot and your in AZ. 3 - there is studies that show that boots lead to more injuries.
    Wear either running shoes or trail runners.
    I then wear running socks.

Water. Obviously, you'll need lots. I'd skip camelbacks though, I really dislike their reservoirs, even though they are ubiquitous. Hydrapak reservoirs are far superior. They make their own bags, but The North Face, Salomon, and Dakine all use hydrapak reservoirs.
    Platypus reservoirs are good too.

I bring a whole lot on hikes, because I like to push it, so I bring camping stuff just in case.
    But, for just a day hike, I bring food, water, and maybe a map and compass. That's it. If I know the area, I skip the map & compass.
    Here's what I take on a 5 day trip. Yes, I hike in a kilt. http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=10823
  • aelphabawest
    aelphabawest Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Skip boots. 1 - your not carrying extreme weight to need the potential greater stability. 2 - they are hot and your in AZ. 3 - there is studies that show that boots lead to more injuries.
    Wear either running shoes or trail runners.
    I then wear running socks.

I would be interested in your citation for boots leading to more injuries.

Myself, I found the terrain out west to be a bit rough and appreciated the extra stability of boots vs. what running shoes would give me. And I roll my ankle all the damned time, even as an experienced hiker - my boots offer extra support in that regard. I can only imagine injury wearing running shoes.

They do make hiking shoes that would be worth checking out for desert hikes without a lot of weight. This link might also be useful for you, OP - http://www.backcountry.com/explore/how-to-choose-the-right-hiking-shoes-backpacking-boots
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Here is one:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19737037

Here is one saying that high tops do no good or harm. Only taping, etc give any support to prevent injury:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3132864?dopt=Abstract

It's mostly anecdotal evidence though
  • SuperJo1972
    SuperJo1972 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I would always carry a walking pole when hiking. :-) have fun!
  • AlliSteff
    AlliSteff Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I only use tall hikers for overnight treks with a large pack. I have low hikers for day hikesm which I really like. Smartwool socks. A Camelback type hydration backpack that will also allow you storage for food, an extra water bottle, raincoat, etc.

A trip to REI or whatever outdoor store you have should get you geared up. Don't scrimp on footwear. Good socks that will stay dry and hikers are really necessary.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I love my Columbia hiking pants, and the ones with zip-off lower legs seem like they'd be great in the desert (pretty damn handy even in New England). I've learned to hate hiking in jeans now that I've gotten used to wicking fabric.

As an aside, I like pants with enough pocket space I can carry keys, my phone, and my rescue inhaler in easy reach. Even if I'm carrying a pack, which I often don't for short hikes, I like those things where I can grab them, especially the inhaler, without having to fumble in my pack.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I have LL Bean light hikers, which work well for the level of hiking I do and are extremely comfortable.
  • Luna99999
    Luna99999 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've been hiking for a while in just normal workout clothes: running shoes, running capris, and a "technical" fabric shirt (hikes up to 10 miles). I have a Nathan hydration vest for water. I recently switched to Merrell Siren Sport 2 hiking shoes, but I think the improvement is minimal over ordinary running shoes. The stability and thicker sole help on longer hikes or rocky trails, but it's a trade off for the flexibility of the running shoes.

Oh and I have some hiking pants, which can be nice if there's brush and you need long pants to cover your legs. I've never been able to find zip-off hiking pants that are comfortable--the zipper part tends to hit at the fattest part of my thighs and chafe.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    When I lived in the Pacific Northwest, boots were helpful in the mud and I'd wear more heavty duty hiking clothes but living in CA, I just wear workout clothes and use trail runners. Don't forget a hat and a hankerchief or Buff since it sounds like it will be dusty where you are:

http://www.rei.com/product/691367/buff-original-buff

Also - I love these for any activity esp hiking:

http://www.superfeet.com/en-us/insoles-and-sandals/green
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    You only really need boots if the terrain is rough (rocks or mud particularly), you're carrying a heavy pack, or if you have weak ankles. I personally prefer trail runners for hiking unless I'm carrying a pack and my feet have always been happy. Try REI and get some help getting outfitted.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    You only really need boots if the terrain is rough (rocks or mud particularly), you're carrying a heavy pack, or if you have weak ankles. I personally prefer trail runners for hiking unless I'm carrying a pack and my feet have always been happy. Try REI and get some help getting outfitted.

This. I like Salomon's trail runners personally. They have a good tread on them and enough cushion in the sole. Merrell makes a few pairs too. I do have boots, but they are for rough terrain like off trail hiking or when I am backpacking. A day pack really doesn't warrant needing a bulky hiking boot.

Check out women's specific packs though and get fitted for anything bigger than the small standard hydration packs. Your back will thank you later.
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Options
    A pocket folding knife is good. Odds are you'll never need it but you'll be glad you have it when you do. (this might cause some people to laugh because I've just been banging on about this on my wall)
  • farmerpam1
    farmerpam1 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I wear a lightweight Merril hiking boot, I find they grip better on steep rocks and mud than running sneakers. I also wear wicking workout clothes and always bring layers, rain poncho, water treatment kit, and a 2 liter platey puss hydration bag. My socks are called Darn Tough, wicking also. I use a backpack that has hip and chest clips, helps carry the load comfortably. I love to hike and do it all the time, lucky to live in a state with lots of mountains. Enjoy! Oh, bring a map, know your route, and tell someone where you're going, or sign in when you get to the trailhead.