Post Mastectomy Exercise

Options
HI! Anyone else trying to work out after a mastectomy? Man its hard, I'm experiencing some weird feelings and would love to compare. BTW I am 28 and have gone through reconstruction too!

Thanks!

Replies

• yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'm 7 years out, so I am probably not a good comparison. I lift heavy weights successfully, but there are some exercises I have had to either change or just give up entirely. For example, front squats are not going to happen and my bench press is poor because of my total lack of chest strength. In fact, my plastic surgeon informed me I'd never bench press again (he was wrong). But push ups are never going to happen!
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Male survivor here. I had limited range of motion with my arm after surgery (modified radical). I had 'banding' in my armpit (they removed my lymph nodes) which caused pain when trying to extend my arm. I literally started lifting with a broom stick and performed progressive stretching to regain range of motion. I believe getting to the gym during chemo was key to help with fatigue. Anyway, I'm 4 years out now and I'm lifting heavy like I did in my 20's with full range of motion. I occasionally get twinges in my chest (feels like a cramp, but only lasts a few seconds). The recovery takes time, but you can come back better and stronger than ever.
  • eponine1976
    eponine1976 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm a survivor of stage 4 inflammatory breast cancer.

I had a bilateral mastectomy in April. The left side they removed lymph nodes from and on that side I don't have as much flexibility in my arm as I did before. The surgeon says I have more flexibility than most of his patients though so i guess I'm doing alright. I did not get reconstruction.

i didn't really start exercising again until 6 weeks post-surgery. At that time I started slow walking while I went through radiation. I found my endurance was way worse than before I got diagnosed last November but that is probably mostly because I was very inactive during my 6 months of chemo and lost a lot of strength. I also was still pretty anemic from the chemo even though I stopped the Taxotere in March. I still get Herceptin and Perjeta to help keep the cancer from coming back since I was stage 4 and at a high risk of it coming back. I know those drugs cause me to be fatigued too on the weeks I get the drugs (every 3 weeks). It certainly presents a challenge. I can't do cardio on the weeks I get the drugs. I'm too exhausted just trying to go to work and chase after my 1 yr old and 4 yr old.

About two months ago I added yoga to the walking. The yoga is helping with the flexibility in my arm and makes me feel better in general. My aerobic fitness is coming back okay. The yoga is also helping with my strength. I tried regular strength training and didn't like it. The yoga is working my muscles and is much more enjoyable for me.

Good luck with everything!
  • Hi, I know you posted this ages ago but iv only just come across it, I'm 29
    And 10 weeks ago had a mastectomy with reconstruction, I'm just thinking about exercising now bit am a little worried as I still get some strange feelings in my back from the reconstruction. Am interested in anyone's opinions and when you felt you could exercise
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Great to see survivors here :-) my mom is a 30 yr survivor, and I know they do surgeries and treatments way different now. One thing that sticks in my memory, tho, is she went on a "camping" trip with other women, and they all learned how to fly-fish, for the range of motion exercise! Good luck to you all
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    9 year survivor here! Stage 3- right mastectomy with reconstruction- 10 lymph nodes removed. It took me a little while to get back in the groove (19 months of chemo and 36 rads), but was working out slowly after 4 weeks. Take it slow, but be consistent. You will gain strength and believe it or not, you will not think about it every day or when something feels "off". Welcome to the survivor's club! Friend me if you would like!

I think the funniest story I have is when I was going thru reconstruction...they put in an expander..when they said I could get back in the water to swim, I hopped in and started to swim...and kept flipping over. I laughed so hard. The damn thing floated and made me roll over on my back! so every stroke, I would roll over! Too funny! You have to laugh at yourself and don't lose you sense of humor!
  • beaudrydasha
    beaudrydasha Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've had similar surgery to watchillgirl. I lost a lot of upper body strength and arm/shoulder motility after the surgery. It's been 6.5 years now and I can finally follow my kids across the monkey bars and even got up to two pull-ups at the gym. I started with just a dead hang, which was a great stretch, and built up with lats and free weights. I have noticed that I can't do lat pulls in front of me (seated, bringing the bar to my chest) because it moves around my new, under the muscle breasts.
  • Darrelkun
    Darrelkun Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I have also had a mastectomy (double lateral). Take the 2 months off they recommend and just try to recover the best you can.

When I was finally over the 2 month probation period for exercise I returned to doing my normal exercises. But when it feels like the incisions are sore I slow down. You could consider doing more leg exercises (squats, lunges, kicks) and less arm exercises (push ups, burpees, planks) until your chest feels better.
  • Jenn3073
    Jenn3073 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy to have found this post. I had a bilateral mastectomy on 2/11 (radical on right side w/ removal of 3 lymph nodes) and I finally did yoga last weekend. It helped me a great deal because I'm dealing with the "tightness" of the tissue expanders and it helped alleviate the soreness. When it's nice outside I like to walk but have to make sure not to pump my arms or "bounce".

My frustration is with the weight gain. I don't need chemo and radiation (very lucky) so I don't think this is hormonal. While I've always been one to carry more weight in my mid section, it seems like now everything is going there. As if I don't already have body image issues having been through this, now I cannot even fit into my clothes. I've always been an emotional eater so none of this is helping with weight loss. Having a hard time pulling it together when it comes to eating healthy.
  • ReneeDawalga5100
    ReneeDawalga5100 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy to have found this post. I had a bilateral mastectomy on 2/11 (radical on right side w/ removal of 3 lymph nodes) and I finally did yoga last weekend. It helped me a great deal because I'm dealing with the "tightness" of the tissue expanders and it helped alleviate the soreness. When it's nice outside I like to walk but have to make sure not to pump my arms or "bounce".

My frustration is with the weight gain. I don't need chemo and radiation (very lucky) so I don't think this is hormonal. While I've always been one to carry more weight in my mid section, it seems like now everything is going there. As if I don't already have body image issues having been through this, now I cannot even fit into my clothes. I've always been an emotional eater so none of this is helping with weight loss. Having a hard time pulling it together when it comes to eating healthy.
    My surgery was March of 2013 and I am just now starting to work on the weight gain. In June I had my last surgery replacing the expanders with implants. I waited until I was comfortable doing anything.
  • srlmartin
    srlmartin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am so happy to see this thread. I had a bilateral mastectomy 5 weeks ago with immediate reconstruction. I am also trying to figure out how I'm going to be able to work out again. I figured I'd start just moving my lower body: walking, squats, stair climbing. I am starting very very slow, because I have also found that my stamina is almost non existant. Just going up one flight of stairs leaves me winded. I wonder if that is a byproduct of the surgery, or being immobile for so long.

I am interested to hear everyone say there are certain moves they cannot do. At this point I can't even imagine putting my arms straight over my head. My plastic surgeon said that I might not have as much strength in my chest as before since my pec muscles are over my implants.

Thank you to everyone has shared here. This is so helpful to me.
  • iBarbie007
    iBarbie007 Posts: 1
    Options
    I, too, just came across this. I am four weeks post double mastectomy due to positive BRCA 2. I have tissue expanders yet also am still experiencing pain. PS told me I could start doing any of the workouts after tomorrow I used to do. I am walking daily and have always done Yoga in the past, just wondering hat type Yoga you ate doing?
  • BEVERLYSTEEN
    BEVERLYSTEEN Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    53 years old & Double Mastectomy in November 2011, I lost ALL my upper body strength and the pain and healing went longer than expected after the tissue removal surgery, that and the extremely long winter with no activity put me behind in my weight loss goal. Obviously my 'feel sorry for myself' eating was what made me gain the weight in reality.

In the spring of 2014 it was so beautiful outside that I grabbed a rake and decided to do light yard cleanup, who would have thought that I would have to rest every few minutes of raking? Anyway to make a long story short I now know what my parents feel like not being able to do stuff they loved to do in their younger days.

My last fill before the reconstruction process will be this Monday, what will be the down time after the next surgery?
  • esthergrub
    esthergrub Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm 52, had a single mastectomy with reconstruction on my right side, 3 years out from my initial surgery. Last surgery (had three) was March 2012. I'm actually considering having yet another procedure to switch out the implant for a smaller one, since I've lost quite a bit of weight these last couple months, and the discrepancy is getting to be rather noticeable. Range of motion with my right shoulder has never been very good, since I had previous issues there. Strength has returned, but nowhere near the same as my other side. Like another poster said, pushups will never be the same again, but honestly that doesn't interfere with the quality of life as much as having symmetry in my body.
  • lauramblair
    lauramblair Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm approaching my 1 year anniversary from my bilateral mastectomy with immediate DIEP flap reconstruction on July 9. I was in the hospital for a week, but I took my doctor's orders to WALK WALK WALK very seriously. I was making (very slow) laps in the ICU. haha. I just kept up with my walking when I got home, almost every day. By 4 weeks out I was walking about 2 miles per day, and by 6 weeks I was at 3 miles per day. My doctor cleared me to run again at that point and I just picked it back up slowly. Taking my time, going as slow as I need, taking breaks to walk, etc. I ran a half marathon 5 months after my mastectomy.

I felt too weak in my arms and core to do much of anything for the first 3-4 months. Around the 4 month mark I started attending a boot camp and just modified the exercises to my comfort/tolerance level and gradually grew stronger. I got to the point this spring where I started a heavy lifting program. My arms and core are now stronger than they've ever been before. I've lost close to 45 pounds since my mastectomy! I used the surgery as my kick-off to start my new lifestyle. Active and healthy.

The key is, just take it slow. Don't use it as an excuse to be lazy. You still have to push yourself. Know the difference between pushing and pain. Go a little further/harder than you think you can (of course within your doctor's recommendation!) and you'll find yourself slowly building strength and gaining steam.
  • theresea1231
    theresea1231 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    The key is, just take it slow. Don't use it as an excuse to be lazy. You still have to push yourself. Know the difference between pushing and pain. Go a little further/harder than you think you can (of course within your doctor's recommendation!) and you'll find yourself slowly building strength and gaining steam.

That's really good stuff right there! I've started running again but have not returned to strength training after a bilateral mastectomy 1/13. I heard myself whining yet again this morning about how I don't have the upper body strength that I had pre surgery and finally decided to research which exercises I may be able to do. Push-ups were my go-to exercise but after a couple of bad experiences with them post surgery I guess I just kinda wrote off strength training. :cry: but this thread has reawakened my hope!
  • missinmybiscuits
    missinmybiscuits Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I honestly haven't read through the entire thread, but has anyone else that had a straight-to-implant reconstruction had extensive nerve damage and chronic pain as a result? I know post-mastectomy pain is FAR more common than the surgeons report to patients, but I truly wasn't prepared to give up my fairly active lifestyle! I walk my dog ... and then I have to take a nap. I clean the kitchen floor...and then I have to take a nap. God forbid I vaccuum - I'm down for hours after just two floors!

I'm 31, two years out (this past March) from my Bilateral Mastectomy, and desperately hoping hoping to hear that there's still a chance things might improve. Like a lot of you have mentioned, my feel-sorry-for-myself occasional binges have resulted in some unwanted weight gain of late, and I try hard to stick to a healthy diet (I also have Celiac and several vitamin deficiencies/food sensitivities, so I eat semi-paleo with some rice and legumes added in every once in a while), but I'm missing running and swimming and things that get my heart pumping. Anyone here make a miraculous recovery from a botched BMX?
  • ReneeDawalga5100
    Options
    missinmybiscu (and others)- I still have random pain, like if i were to lay on my tummy or get a gear hug. But I can do anything that I was able to do before. I chose not to have he straight to implant because i heard that it can be a little more difficult to hone in on problems during the reconstruction process.

That being said, if I were to do a lot of yard work, my muscles would ache. I don't have much feeling up there but I know my under arms still burn from nerve damage (hate shaving because of that).

At times I still have the feel-sorry-for-myself moments, but I think I would of had it regardless if I had the surgeries.

Feel free to friend me, I can chat through email is easiest (have it on my phone). I know where you have been and maybe we can figure something out.

Renee
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I finished chemo the end of August and am talking to a surgeon this afternoon to schedule bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction. I anticipate going in for surgery sometime within the next 4-6 weeks. I've been trying to walk and excercise since chemo ended but the fatigue and muscle aches are really difficult to deal with. I was pretty active before chemo but between the inactivity for the last few months and the side effects of chemo, I'm wiped out after an hour walking. I'm trying to improve my strenght before the surgery. To date, I've not been able to get any clear answers about the recovery time from surgery. I have an office job, so I'm anticipating not being gone from work too long but my hobby is dancing and I'm wondering how long it will take me to get back to it. For those of you that have been through it, I'd appreciate any insight or advice that you might have.

Note: I'm stage 4 and will be place on hormone therapy after the surgery. My understanding is that there are no significant side effect like chemo. Has anyone any experience?
  • ReneeDawalga5100
    Options
    I finished chemo the end of August and am talking to a surgeon this afternoon to schedule bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction. I anticipate going in for surgery sometime within the next 4-6 weeks. I've been trying to walk and excercise since chemo ended but the fatigue and muscle aches are really difficult to deal with. I was pretty active before chemo but between the inactivity for the last few months and the side effects of chemo, I'm wiped out after an hour walking. I'm trying to improve my strenght before the surgery. To date, I've not been able to get any clear answers about the recovery time from surgery. I have an office job, so I'm anticipating not being gone from work too long but my hobby is dancing and I'm wondering how long it will take me to get back to it. For those of you that have been through it, I'd appreciate any insight or advice that you might have.

Note: I'm stage 4 and will be place on hormone therapy after the surgery. My understanding is that there are no significant side effect like chemo. Has anyone any experience?

I have an office job also, and I was out for 17 work days for the bilateral mastectomy and expanders. I didn't take any time off for any of the fills. Mastectomy was in March and July I had the exchange to implants. That one I took one day off (day of surgery was a Friday) and returned the Monday. When my husband would come home, we would go to dinner, or shopping or out and about. I still got my child ready for school. I did sleep in a recliner for a VERY long time.

The reason I was out for my mastectomy- I was still on pain killers at night, and truthfully I couldn't imagine wearing anything on top for 8 hours and I had so many doctor apts. They say you can go back to work ONCE you get the drains out. Well I had 3 out of 4 drains out quickly, but they kept once in for longer. The girls hurt if you messed with them, even a tank with a shelf, so I did without them. Embrace scarfs LOL. If you go the expander route (resulting in bigger implants if you want) they can be lummpy, especially with scaring until you do the exchange. The tissue expanders will never be comfortable, I repeat never. They will always feel like "period boobs" but it is temporary. I feel like once I got the exchange a cloud lifted from my life, I felt normal, I looked normal, and it was awesome.

I had to get my ovaries out before my mastectomy, and me and my husband will both say that recovery from the ovaries was much worse than the mastectomy.