Attempting to go Gluten Free... Help!

Options

Replies

• ninavalentine
    ninavalentine Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Celiac disease isn't something to play with. If you have it, you need to know. My niece was diagnosed by stomach biopsy when the doctors were doing a series of GI tests trying to figure out what the heck was wrong with her. She has had many, many health issues -- including thyroid cancer -- which the doctors believe are related to her celiac disease. Also, if you think you may have it and have children, they should be tested immediately. One of my niece's sons has it and the other doesn't. The sooner a person/child with celiac disease removes gluten from their diet, the less risk of long-term complications.

I don't doubt that there are some non-celiac people who feel better when they avoid wheat, etc., and more power to them. But those who avoid gluten just because it's trendy really raise my ire. They're the ones who make it dangerous for real celiacs to eat in restaurants, etc. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a server's eyes glaze over when my niece says she and her son can't have gluten because waiters are hearing it all the time these days. My niece has to go into a long narrative about how they've been tested and the effects gluten has on them, etc., to be taken seriously (not always, but often). But I guess gluten-free eating being on trend is a mixed curse/blessing because at least restaurants are offering many more gluten free selections now.

Anyway, if you think you could have celiac disease you need to figure out a way to get tested. Seriously.
  • pradamary
    pradamary Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    In Wheat Belly they suggested not substituting gluten free products. I have been eating a few gluten free products to help me make the transition. Gluten free rice cakes with almond butter, UDI's gluten free bread for toast. There is so much conflicting information out there. But according to the book, eliminating Gluten is really good for glucose intolerance. I have been eating lots of salads, lean meats, hummus, etc. My stomach started acting up about three days into it and I'm still having diarrhea. It hasn't been a week yet, so I think I will just hang in there and hope the healing of my gut will relieve discomfort and side effects. Thank you. Mary
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    I just want to add (not having read others' replies) that I went gluten-free over 4 years ago because I had terrible IBS/digestive issues that were very uncomfortable. I did not go to a doctor to get tested, I simply eliminated gluten entirely (meaning not just eliminating bread and pasta, but anything glutinous) and after like 2 weeks my issues went away. Prior to this I did about a month or so of eating dairy-free, there was no change in my symptoms.

So, basically, there's no harm in eliminating gluten for a few weeks to a month. if improvements are made, then you can try introducing things again and see if they bother you. If they do then... eat whatever way makes your body feel its best. I eat lots of GF junk food, so for me it's not an issue with the nutrition of the food. I only have bloating now if I'm dehydrated and eating too much salt, but it's no longer a painful or uncomfortable bloat (it's just in size/retention of water).

I am strict with my eating though, I have a list of safe and not-safe ingredients/foods printed out on the side of my fridge. Been there for 4 years now, I usually don't need to refer to it anymore unless I pick something up where I do not recognize the ingredients.
  • laurasuzanne2006
    laurasuzanne2006 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    im in a similar place and i recommend getting tested first. I was off gluten for 3 weeks decided i want to be tested and going back to eating it i'm having huge digestive issues. The reason to be tested are that celiacs is an autoimmune disease that can have severe implications. For example one of the reasons i want to be tested is because of the specific pregnancy complications i had with my daughter that are linked with celiacs....
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    So I recently discovered that about 95% of my health issues match the symptoms of gluten sensitivity.
    What about the other 5%?

I once had symptoms that matched bubonic plague. I went to the Doctor and guess what I didn't have it. Don't self diagnose go and see a doctor it could be something totally different that if left un diagnosed could cause problems
  • DailyGroomer
    DailyGroomer Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your feedback and input! I've made it to day 2 with no gluten! I don't have celiac because I am not significantly ill. I have been living with this for 31 years and just been uncomfortable or always with a migraine. I've had every test under the sun done for stomach issues and migraines and nothing ever came back to explain my problem. So I've made the executive decision to just stop eating it and either I'll feel better or I won't feel better but I won't be eating nearly as much processed food so I think it's a win-win.

I won't be taking the test so I do not need to worry about eating gluten again.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    So I recently discovered that about 95% of my health issues match the symptoms of gluten sensitivity. I am going to attempt and try my hardest to go gluten free. However, this is coming from a girl who loves bread, and sugar in any form of bagel, cake, cookie, etc so from my current standpoint it seems almost impossible.

Does anyone have any tips to help me out with this? SHould I get a breadmaker and make my own treats?

Any success stories would help me in this journey as well.

Day 1 & counting!

Process of elimination is not a bad thing to do to see if you are a bit sensitive to gluten.

With that said it is NOT as simple as "I just won't eat bread, pasta or wheat!" because gluten is hidden in many ingredients. Carmel Coloring has gluten in it for one. Also when you go to a restaurant you need to find out how they prepare their food. For example is the oil that they fry the french fries in the same oil they fry breaded chicken in? If it is then guess what? You can't have french fries. Will they prepare your burger on the same grill that they heat the buns on? Yes? Guess what? You can't have a burger. Love to dip your sushi in soy sauce? Sorry. Can't have soy sauce since it contains gluten. Also there is gluten in make up products as well.

A "short" list of items that contain gluten:

Barley (flakes, flour, pearl)
    Breading, bread stuffing
    Brewer's yeast
    Bulgur
    Durum (type of wheat)
    Farro/faro (also known as spelt or dinkel)
    Graham flour
    Hydrolyzed wheat protein
    Kamut (type of wheat)
    Malt, malt extract, malt syrup, malt flavoring
    Malt vinegar
    Malted milk
    Matzo, matzo meal
    Modified wheat starch
    Oatmeal, oat bran, oat flour, whole oats (unless they are from pure, uncontaminated oats)
    Rye bread and flour
    Seitan (a meat-like food derived from wheat gluten used in many vegetarian dishes)
    Semolina
    Spelt (type of wheat also known as farro, faro, or dinkel)
    Triticale
    Wheat bran
    Wheat flour
    Wheat germ
    Wheat starch

These other ingredients may be less familiar to you, but they also contain gluten:

Atta (chapati flour)
    Einkorn (type of wheat)
    Emmer (type of wheat)
    Farina
    Fu (a dried gluten product made from wheat and used in some Asian dishes)

Gluten Foods

Double-check the ingredients label on these items, as they're possible sources of gluten:

Beer, ale, lager
    Breads
    Broth, soup, soup bases
    Cereals
    Cookies and crackers
    Some chocolates, some chocolate bars, licorice
    Flavored coffees and teas
    Imitation bacon bits, imitation seafoods
    Medications (check with your pharmacist)
    Pastas
    Processed foods
    Salad dressings
    Sausages, hot dogs, deli meats
    Sauces, marinades, gravies
    Seasonings
    Soy sauce

Energy bars/granola bars – some bars may contain wheat as an ingredient, and most use oats that are not gluten-free
    French fries – be careful of batter containing wheat flour or cross-contamination from fryers
    Potato chips – some potato chip seasonings may contain malt vinegar or wheat starch
    Processed lunch meats
    Candy and candy bars
    Soup – pay special attention to cream-based soups, which have flour as a thickener. Many soups also contain barley
    Multi-grain or “artisan” tortilla chips or tortillas that are not entirely corn-based may contain a wheat-based ingredient
    Salad dressings and marinades – may contain malt vinegar, soy sauce, flour
    Starch or dextrin if found on a meat or poultry product could be from any grain, including wheat
    Brown rice syrup – may be made with barley enzymes
    Meat substitutes made with seitan (wheat gluten) such as vegetarian burgers, vegetarian sausage, imitation bacon, imitation seafood (Note: tofu is gluten-free, but be cautious of soy sauce marinades and cross-contamination when eating out, especially when the tofu is fried)
    Soy sauce (though tamari made without wheat is gluten-free)
    Self-basting poultry
    Pre-seasoned meats
    Cheesecake filling - some recipes include wheat flour
    Eggs served at restaurants – some restaurants put pancake batter in their scrambled eggs and omelets, but on their own, eggs are naturally gluten-free

I get what you're trying to do but just understand that it's not as easy as just saying no to bread and pasta.
  • SpectacuLaura
    SpectacuLaura Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I've been gluten free for a year and a half and I'll just be honest- it sucks. Even though I kinda knew I always had it (runs in my family) and have been absolutely ill every time I eat anything since age 12, I put off dealing with it until age 29. I did opt for the formal medical test at my doctor's office, but my doc also told me that just eating a gluten free diet for 3 weeks would have a significant impact on anyone suffering from Celiac/gluten intolerance/whatever you want to debate it's called. And it definitely did for me. Like, night and day. So if you feel better, go for it.

As for HOW to do that when you love bread more than anything in the entire world (like me), that's another story. My advice is to generally steer clear of all the "gluten free" hyped products because they are usually loaded with fat and calories to make them taste even semi appetizing. Not worth it. The Pillsbury tubs of ready-made gluten free pizza dough are amazing though when you just have to have pizza. Stick to corn noodles if you want some pasta (the rice kind are not as good and you notice more of a difference). Mexican food (corn tortillas) can be the answer to your prayers when you just want to eat like "normal" people, and just know that it does get easier over time. (It still sucks, but eventually you won't be rage-crying over the fact that you can't have an entire loaf of french bread for dinner anymore...or maybe that's just me...)
  • Snugglebunny217
    Options
    If you can't afford or don't want the test, there is no harm in trying the diet. If you can't afford the test, the doctor will just put you on an elimination diet anyway (where you also take out gluten, lactose, certain nuts, and other items that are likely to cause problems and slowly add them back in one at a time and see when symptoms start).

As for how to do it? If you find you feel a bazillion times better after one week, then decide to eat a cupcake for your birthday <<cough cough>> and spend the next three days in incredible pain...you will never want to eat it again. If it is highly correlated with extreme discomfort, it becomes its own deterrent.

My favorite GF brand is Scharr. And the trick for making the rice pasta have a good consistency is that you have to shock it with cold water to stop the cooking when it's done.
  • beckyhaa
    beckyhaa Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've been gluten free to try to help with migraines for about 2 months now. I try to stick with fruits, veggies, meats, nuts, and cheeses. I do like gluten free crackers made with nuts, or lentils. (Blue Almond Diamond has some good nut ones). I also like Kind bars and Larabars for easy snacks.
    It has not been as hard as I thought. I even had a delicious gluten free pie at my wedding. Going out to eat can be challenging, but doable. Mexican (corn tortillas), and some Indian and Asian food can be good but you need to check the sauces.
    I haven't noticed an extreme, immediate difference like some people do, but my dr. told me it can take time for your body to "fix its gut."
  • CorrieLA
    CorrieLA Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I found this thread looking for people who are wheat-free, like myself. Although I'm not sensitive to gluten, through the process of elimination I discovered what was causing most of my symptoms (no thanks to my doctors, by the way). Because wheat (or, more specifically, what passes for wheat in North America) is in, like, EVERYTHING, I end up eating gluten-free 95% of the time. I would love to have more MFP friends who have similar dietary restrictions as I do.
  • CorrieLA
    CorrieLA Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've been gluten free to try to help with migraines for about 2 months now. I try to stick with fruits, veggies, meats, nuts, and cheeses. I do like gluten free crackers made with nuts, or lentils. (Blue Almond Diamond has some good nut ones). I also like Kind bars and Larabars for easy snacks.
    It has not been as hard as I thought. I even had a delicious gluten free pie at my wedding. Going out to eat can be challenging, but doable. Mexican (corn tortillas), and some Indian and Asian food can be good but you need to check the sauces.
    I haven't noticed an extreme, immediate difference like some people do, but my dr. told me it can take time for your body to "fix its gut."

Eliminating wheat from my diet had the unexpected result of cutting down on my migraines significantly. Although it wasn't my only trigger, it turns out that it was probably one of the biggest ones. I still get them from time to time but nowhere near as often. :)
  • DailyGroomer
    DailyGroomer Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    So I'm reporting back after almost 7 full days of going gluten free. I have been way more diligent than I thought I would be but I'm at the point that I just want to be free of it all. I've been checking sauces and downloaded Gluten Free Freedom app (thanks to serendipityskye) that helps out tremendously when shopping for food. Gluten free stuff is way more expensive which I expected but I have so far only tried Udi's GF pizza which was ok and GF coffee cake that I made that was really good. I had my first out to eat experience where the waitress was actually incredibly helpful and nice. They even made me a "pina-colada" with frozen pineapples and pineapple juice instead of the mix typically used. delicious!

As far as how I'm feeling, well my stomach is no longer bloated and gassy all the time, my headaches are small if at all where I used to have to take prescription migraine medicine all day & my energy levels are a lot better. All this in only 6 days, so I can only imagine how much better I will feel over more time!

Thank you all for your support :)
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    (meaning not just eliminating bread and pasta, but anything glutinous)

Just FYI... the word glutinous means sticky or resembling glue in texture. It has absolutely nothing to do with gluten. Glutinous rice (aka sticky white rice popular in Asian cuisine) is one of my father's favorites -- and he has celiac disease.

Gluten is just a protein and it lurks everywhere in prepared/processed foods.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    If you are just going to switch from unhealthy processed wheat products to "gluten free" baked goods, processed foods, etc I don't think you'll get the results you are hoping for. Yes, my life is much improved since I quit wheat, but avoiding processed foods in general have been the big win.

I've been wheat free (grain free except for very rare organic popcorn) for over two years. The health benefits have been absolutely amazing for both me and my child. I eat: meat, fat, eggs, avocado, coconut, veggies, and limited fruit and nuts. I don't make gluten free baked goods except for special occasions.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    If you are just going to switch from unhealthy processed wheat products to "gluten free" baked goods, processed foods, etc I don't think you'll get the results you are hoping for. Yes, my life is much improved since I quit wheat, but avoiding processed foods in general have been the big win.

I've been wheat free (grain free except for very rare organic popcorn) for over two years. The health benefits have been absolutely amazing for both me and my child. I eat: meat, fat, eggs, avocado, coconut, veggies, and limited fruit and nuts. I don't make gluten free baked goods except for special occasions.

Piggybacking on this, I believe when you eliminate gluten from your diet, you are supposed to avoid processed gluten-free products and oats when you first start out, in order to give your gut time to heal. If you are eating foods like that and not having issues, it's possible that gluten was not the cause of your issues.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I don't have celiac because I am not significantly ill.

My dad made it to his senior years without knowing he had celiac disease. He never had any of the hallmark digestive issues. His symptoms flared up after undergoing minor surgery on his esophagus. The stress of the surgery was probably a tipping point for his immune system in the expression of symptoms. And even when he did start having symptoms, they were not digestive. It was just a patchy, itchy rash on the back of his legs. He thought he had poison ivy from hiking. It turned out to be dermatitis herpetiformis - which is the skin expression of celiac.

He was never significantly ill (and really not even *mildly* ill) - BUT, when he had the formal diagnosis made, the biopsy of his small intestine showed many years of cumulative and serious damage to the villi. You don't have to seem seriously sick to have serious damage.

OP - I would encourage you to get a real diagnosis instead of guessing and treating something you may or may not have. Eating gluten free is expensive, challenging when you travel, and life changing. It's become easier as gluten-free eating has become trendy, but personally, it's not something I would do unless I had to!
  • missinmybiscuits
    missinmybiscuits Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as "gluten-sensitivity". You either have celiac disease or you don't.

False. Just because you read some pop article about its non-existence doesn't mean people can't be allergic or sensitive to wheat, barley or other grains and not have celiac. It's very hard to determine non-celiac gluten allergy, but if it makes someone's health improve to cut out gluten or grains, then there is no reason to discourage someone from doing that. As someone with Celiac, it makes me MENTAL to think that people are discounting possible allergies/sensitivities just because some stupid celebrities said they weren't real. There is plenty of medical literature to support non-celiac gluten allergy/sensitivity if you look in respected journals. Stop reading HuffPost.
  • missinmybiscuits
    missinmybiscuits Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I don't have celiac because I am not significantly ill. I have been living with this for 31 years and just been uncomfortable or always with a migraine. I've had every test under the sun done for stomach issues and migraines and nothing ever came back to explain my problem.

I wasn't diagnosed Celiac until I was 29 and my blood tests were negative the first two times I took them. I have never been "significantly" ill, but my biopsy results were horrifying to my GI doctor - it was almost completely destroyed. I STRONGLY suggest that you get tested before you cut out gluten completely, because I thought I was just sensitive to it (I had identical symptoms to yours - migraines, mild stomach issues and other small signs it could be gluten), I cut it out, and then had vitamin deficiency issues 2 years after I cut it out and had to start eating it again in order to have the biopsy. That was over a year ago, and I'm STILL healing. I am overweight and fairly healthy, definitely not the "typical" celiac, and all doctors fought me, saying it was "impossible" that I had celiac... but here we are. Gluten-free when you're a celiac is TOTALLY different than gluten-free when you're not, so please be careful! Best of luck - paleo is probably the way to go if you have migraines, because until I cut rice/corn/beans out, my migraines didn't go away. Hang in there!
  • marciamuse2
    Options
    It will be easier than you think. The first time I went GF was the Virgin regimen getting rid of the 7 most common allergens. Foods I like are Food for Life Brown Rice tortillas and English muffins. This year I did the food sensitivity testing. I had some pleasant surprises (not allergic to peanuts or soy), items not surprising--sensitivities to wheat, dairy, eggs, etc... and several real surprises. Here's the upshot of my experience:
    1) the body is just not designed to eat the same things every day
    2) most food sensitivities can get better--I'm hoping my testing in a year or two will indicate less sensitivities
    3) less processed is better
    I would suggest committing yourself to a time period. My first time was 21 days. Then you add back potential problem foods and see what happens.
    You can do this!