Losing Interest

Options
So, I have struggled with depression for about a decade (since I was ten). As a result, I have grown overweight, though not quite obese yet. I'm a musician who has been playing for about seven years, but I sound like I've only been playing for two or three years at most. This is all from getting started on things and not finishing them, or stopping them completely.

I realize this is about more than just exercise. In fact, exercise is what I have seemed to have the most motivation to do overall. I did the 30 Day Shred yesterday and walked today despite being sore. That is great. Still, I feel like it's only a matter of time before that habit goes away, too.

What do you do to get motivated again? This can include fitness or creativity, or anything else.

Replies

• xenu01
    xenu01 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    The only way I have been able to keep this up is by sllloooooowly improving my good habits. If I am not changing too much, I don't get into "punishment and reward" mode, which is what happens when I restrict/exercise too much. So I started out by just taking long walks (used to mean a mile, now it means 2.5-3.5, which isn't a lot for everyone but it is for me!) a couple of times a week. Now that I'm back in grad school and still working, I am finding it difficult to motivate myself so I'm weighing myself every day just to keep an eye on things and making sure to run once a week and go to the gym once a week. That is all I have energy for, and maybe that's terrible, but it's better than stopping altogether and gaining 30lbs in one semester!
  • astroophys
    astroophys Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I think about the fact that time is going to pass anyway. Where will I be in one year if I continue eating well and exercising? Where will I be in one year if I stop eating well and stop exercising? The answer to the latter doesn't look too nice.

I'm with you regarding the childhood depression. It stays with you when it starts so early. And it's awesome that you are doing the 30 day shred -- that's one serious workout!!

I use MFP mostly for tracking and writing on the boards, but this place doesn't really motivate me, to be honest. For outside motivation, reddit and tumblr help me the most.

The implementation of routines helps me, also. For instance, 20 jumping jacks first thing in the morning, every morning. Little changes like that. Making the bed right after the jumping jacks. Etc. I've found that starting my day right is key to making the most of it.

Also, I think about my future. And I take daily action, no matter how little, towards the future that I want. This is what keeps me going. Those daily bits really add up, and every month, even every week, I can see how much closer I am to where I want to be and how my daily efforts are totally worth it. 6 months ago, 3 months before I even thought about losing weight, there was no way I would have guessed that I'd be 6 lbs away from a healthy BMI today, no way. Tiny changes + consistency make the biggest difference.

The best of luck to you.
  • allangirl
    allangirl Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    1 day at a time. Today you can make better food choices. Tomorrow and next week isn't even on the radar. Just think of today. Also, you have conditioned yourself to think negatively. Therefore, a new challenge is to tell yourself, "I WILL SUCCEED." Even if you don't believe it, keep telling yourself you can & will be successful this time.

You can do this.

Anna