Do calories burned include BMR?

Options
So I burned 260 calories at the gym this morning (according to the machines)......Does this number include or exclude my BMR?

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Exercise and activity calories burned are calories on top of your BMR.

So... I guess no? It means that on top of your BMR, the machine has calculated that you burned that many extra calories. Although it's likely inaccurate.

ETA: I don't eat back calories, I just use TDEE, but either way whether it does take into account your BMR or not, the estimations are not really that accurate. Which is why I prefer TDEE.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    So I burned 260 calories at the gym this morning (according to the machines)......Does this number include or exclude my BMR?

Yes, the machines typically include your BMR/RMR in their numbers (and then multiply by 2, but that's another subject).
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Most machines, online calculators, and HRMs provide gross, not net, caloric burns.
  • jonathandavid_t
    jonathandavid_t Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Almost always INCLUDE.

It becomes a problem if you do, say, two hours of low intensity exercise, and think you've earned an extra 600kcal to eat, but actually your body would have burnt say 200kcal anyway even if you were watching TV on the sofa.

Hence suggestions about only eating back about 50% of exercise calories.

That's not so important for higher-intensity or shorter-duration exercise.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, but it's just a guess anyway.

Don't sweat it.
  • catcalledjinx
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I don't normally calculate calories burned (mainly because I don't often 'exercise') but was very curious to know the answer as it had been playing on my mind since I joined a gym and the machines give a value!

I like to call them ' the machines' and interestingly the very nice young woman who provided my gym induction was called 'Florence'. Seriously!