The weird/scary part of weight loss.

Options
I dislike comments on my weight. I just do. Telling me I'm too sensitive is really not going to change that.

I wonder if my dislike of weight loss comments is directly related to the fact that I spent 10+ years of my life (before I moved away from Philly and before I gained 50 lbs) being cat-called a lot and often cornered in deserted subway stations, sometimes even followed for blocks at a time. So maybe there is a direct relationship for me. I have been having a lot of complicated feelings as I lose weight because in many ways, my weight was a safety cushion. It kept me invisible.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone has any similar experiences, or feelings, to share?

Also, I'm 100% sure that at least one person is going to tell me I'm lying about being catcalled, or that it was a compliment. But let me tell you, I am really and truly hoping that no one does that, because sometimes these forums are really awesome.

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Uh, well. I am neutral about comments, I enjoy them when they are compliments or something.

But having once been 200lbs at a high body fat %, I do hold a fat-card where I still have that fat-girl mentality sometimes. I'm guessing that the lower my body fat gets, the less this will affect me. It's affecting me less now that I am working on losing fat instead of losing weight, as last time I was skinny fat and still felt fat sometimes.

And maybe I'm weird or something, but re: catcalling.... it has actually never bothered me when it has happened in the past. I usually find it funny actually or just don't think about it at all. But I also know that how I view/approach sex and similar topics is not how the conventional/stereotypical girl approaches them, so that probably affects that for me. I'm very hard to offend or gross out or make uncomfortable when it comes to sex/sexuality/flirting/cat-calling/etc stuff lol.
  • northbanu
    northbanu Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I don't like those short ankle length socks.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    You were probably younger then. You are older now. With work you can change your mental state about this, feel safe, confident, and strong. Maybe even enjoy a little attention. I have had my fair share of bad and good experiences. Now, I feel strong. And I enjoy compliments (even if they do cause me to feel awkward at times). But, this is just me. I think it's worth making a shift in perspective and enjoying life. Sometimes people cross the line and I have to say no. I'm trained in self-defense also and I lift weights.
  • Cheyenne_K_
    Cheyenne_K_ Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I didn't gain that much weight after kids, but having gone from being athletic and/or very skinny my whole life it was a hard adjustment. I threw in the towel for quite some time. And your right, there is some advantages to having some extra fluff. Women don't size you up as much. Men don't stare. I like that. I find catcalls offensive. It may sound crazy, but I like being written off as just some mom and not a sex object.
  • xenu01
    xenu01 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I didn't gain that much weight after kids, but having gone from being athletic and/or very skinny my whole life it was a hard adjustment. I threw in the towel for quite some time. And your right, there is some advantages to having some extra fluff. Women don't size you up as much. Men don't stare. I like that. I find catcalls offensive. It may sound crazy, but I like being written off as just some mom and not a sex object.

Yes, this exactly! Thank you.
  • LaReinaDeCorazones
    Options
    As a female who had a nice shape, and worked in a male jail ad a guard I heard cat calls all day long 6 days a week for years, plus I've had males hitting on me since I was twelve so I guess it no longer bothers me. ..but I loooove compliments. ..and knowing how I looked at a healthy weight as compared to extremely overweight I know I didn't look good then. ..but I'm working my way back to being healthy.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    You can be both sexy and a woman of substance.
  • sparklefrogz
    sparklefrogz Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I wonder if my dislike of weight loss comments is directly related to the fact that I spent 10+ years of my life (before I moved away from Philly and before I gained 50 lbs) being cat-called a lot and often cornered in deserted subway stations, sometimes even followed for blocks at a time. So maybe there is a direct relationship for me. I have been having a lot of complicated feelings as I lose weight because in many ways, my weight was a safety cushion. It kept me invisible.
    Jeans and a baggy t shirt will also make you invisible after you lose the weight. But an even better shield is standing straight, walking with a purposeful gait, and being alert and looking actively at your surroundings.

Seriously. People can sense your lack of self confidence/insecurity in your posture, gait, and facial expressions from a block away. I used to get leered at, followed, etc. by the creepiest men until I figured this out. Maybe try taking some self defense classes? Pepper spray?
  • nykismile
    Options
    I posted part of this to a different topic.

Interestingly enough, I tend to receive more compliments about my weight from both friends and family (who know about my past struggles with an ED) and strangers alike when I am medically underweight.

So when someone compliments my weight loss, I thank them because I never turn down a compliment, but part of me feels sad.

I don't want people to be concerned or anything. But their comments are just a reminder that I look better underweight than when I'm at a healthy weight.

I guess that's just how it goes. But the thing is, I prefer the attention. I don't know why, maybe it's because I'm young. I didn't like being invisible before, but I can understand why someone would prefer that. It's just a matter of preference.
  • Janetplanet440
    Options
    I understand what you're talking about. Cat calls can be very unsetting when you have body image issues. I have heard before about extra weight being a safety cushion, so to speak. I lost some weight a couple of years ago and enjoyed noticing men looking at me appreciatively (I think it also had something to do with me being 39/40 at the time). I gained 10 pounds the first year after the weight loss, but was still comfortable with my size/shape, then put on another 40 pounds last winter. I got a wolf whistle a couple of months ago at the swimming pool and it made me feel very uncomfortable and suspicious, then I realised it was genuine, and that feeling bad about it was because I felt bad about my bigger figure.

I know that is not the same thing you are feeling - more, you are a little anxious about attracting that sort of attention as you get slimmer. I'm not sure what to suggest to help with these feelings. I do think you need to think about it, and find a way to assure yourself that it is safe to be slim and sexy. Once you can feel safe in your changing, shrinking body, hopefully you will be able to enjoy the changes, your body and maybe even some of the attention you receive (as long as it's positive, of course).
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I have always gotten lots of attention. Except for when i was severely underweight, and then I got looks of horror.