Tomato Overload - Need Recipe Ideas!

Options
jenschroll
jenschroll Posts: 162 Member
My mom just gave me a ton of tomatoes out of her garden. Romas, Pink Ladies, Grape tomatoes, and a boatload of other varieties I just can't remember or identify. I'd really appreciate some tomato-heavy recipe ideas. Thanks!

Replies

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Roma tomatoes! Homemade Salsa... mmmm

Do you can?
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Homemade tomato soup.... Do you can???? Then it's stewed tomatoes, juice, chili sauce..... Pinterest is another good source. Lucky you!!!!!!

Below is a chili sauce that can be frozen if you don't can....this is great for sloppy joes, meatloaf, add on top of hamburgers...

YOU WILL NEED:
    16 cups chopped cored peeled tomatoes (about 16 medium)
    6 onions, chopped
    6 green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
    2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
    2 cups white vinegar
    1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
    1 clove garlic, finely chopped
    1 Tbsp. freshly grated or drained bottled horseradish, optional
    1 Tbsp. celery salt
    1 Tbsp. mustard seeds
    1 Tbsp. salt
    1 tsp. ground allspice
    1 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1 tsp. ground mace or nutmeg
    1/4 tsp. ground cloves
    7 (16 oz) pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands
    DIRECTIONS:
    COMBINE tomatoes, onions, green and red peppers, vinegar, brown sugar, garlic, horseradish, if using, celery salt, mustard seeds and salt in a large stainless steel saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring occasionally, for 1-1/2 hours, until sauce begins to thicken. Add allspice, mace, cinnamon and cloves. Continue to boil gently, stirring occasionally, until thickened and sauce begins to mound on a spoon, about 30 minutes. WATCH IT HERE SO IT DOESNT BURN..
  • jenschroll
    Options

Do you can?

I don't can, unfortunately. I wouldn't even know where to start!
  • jenschroll
    Options
    Homemade tomato soup.... Do you can???? Then it's stewed tomatoes, juice, chili sauce..... Pinterest is another good source. Lucky you!!!!!!

Below is a chili sauce that can be frozen if you don't can....this is great for sloppy joes, meatloaf, add on top of hamburgers...

That will come in quite handy, especially when work picks up for me this winter. Thanks!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I just made a huge batch of gazpacho with a bunch of garden tomatoes and other garden goodness...you could also do a fresh tomato soup.
  • jenschroll
    Options
    I've seen gazpacho recipes that use either a food processor or a blender. I only have a blender, but I'm wondering if the results are any different?
  • fanaledrinks112
    Options
    The tyranny of tomatoes is upon us. Legions of gardeners spent spring coaxing plants into fruition, feeding them, weeding them and thrilling at each pointy, yellow bloom. Come August, we're wondering what to do with all these darn tomatoes. Turns out, the options are endless.

We combed more than 50 cookbooks old and new, perused magazines, hounded local chefs and home cooks. Then we settled on 10 tomato-centric recipes to help tamp down the tyranny.

Fanale Drinks
  • Mary8812443132
    Options
    Hi Dear,
    Visit this social network: www.Foodeaser.com
    This link have many recipes with tomato...
    http://foodeaser.com/en/recipes/?s=tomato
  • MaddyT122
    MaddyT122 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    When I have an abundance of tomatoes, I cut the cores out of them and freeze like that. Then I have them all year round for tomato soup and tomato sauce. :smile:

Forgot to mention...when I need them, I just take them out of the freezer and run under warm water. The skins come right off.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Gazpacho in a blender is just fine.
    You can dry some to have dried tomatoes on hand through the year, great in pastas.
    You can freeze whole as pp said, or I like to puree and then freeze to put in soups or sauces.
    Or you can just make a ton of caprese salads... that what I've been doing with mine.
    Enjoy!!
  • Ke11er
    Ke11er Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Salsa, canned,frozen, pico de gallo all good...and, we love to just slice and spritz with olive oil spray then top with dried Italian Seasoning (or basil and oregano) and sprinkle on grated Parmesan cheese yummy!
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    If you are tenacious you can make home made tomato paste! Basically evaporating down, and down more, and more, until all you have left is concentrated tomato goodness. It's an all day project, but a good way of using a large amount of tomatoes and storing in a small space.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Marking for more ideas.

Fresh salsa

Simple sliced tomatoes with salt, pepper and fresh basil.
  • badbradley
    badbradley Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Make basic tomato sauce and freeze it. You can then use it later for a variety of different dishes.

South of the border ? Add chilies and cumin. Italian ? Basil and oregano. Tomato soup in the middle of winter ? Thin with a little chicken stock, make polenta or bread croutons, garnish with sour cream and herbs. Authentic Spanish ? Add hazelnuts, garlic, peppers, olive oil, fresh bread crumbs then puree and you're doing the romesco, baby. Slice and bake in the oven at 250 degrees for about 5 hours, cool, mix with some olive oil and herbs and store in the fridge for 3 months. Almost all cuisines use a basic tomato sauce for something...

Canning is really, really easy. More than likely you already have most the equipment you need. For a few bucks you can get some pint jars and lemon juice and can your fresh tomatoes away. Ms. Wages makes a ready made salsa mix that is very tasty and easy to compile and is available almost everywhere.

I had BLT pasta for dinner tonight. It was added to the definitive list of things that do not suck.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/blt-pasta-50400000136546/
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,626 Member
    Options
    When confronted with a glut of tomatoes, I normally dry/roast them in the oven and then freeze. Great defrosted in pastas and salads, or blended with some sauteed onion and garlic for a lovely tomato sauce.

Slice the tomatoes in half in the latitude direction. Direction of slice is important because the tomatoes lose more moisture this way. Place in a baking tray, cut side up and spray or drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with herbs if desired. Roast at 165C or 325F for about two hours.

Serve as a salad or on toast with some crumbled feta. Keeps about a week in the fridge or 6 months in the freezer.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Something else we do us cook them with onions, peppers. Cook down till thick, strain larger pieces through a food millpour into ice cube trays . Freeze them put into freezer bags so in the Winter you have a wonderful addition to hot dishes, etc.