gain gain from an office job?

Hey i need some advice, i start a new job tomorrow and its a desk job. My fear is that i will gain weight from sitting for so long. I teach fitness and i attend my own classes but i feel like that wont be enough. I will pack my lunch instead of going out plus i eat Graze snacks and those are healthy. Any other options?

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Just lower your caloric intake if you start gaining weight or stop losing/maintain. Lowering by 50-100cals a day for a few weeks should be enough to let you see whether the lowered amount is low enough for your new energy needs.
  • bjderemer
    bjderemer Posts: 4 Member
    I made that transition a few years ago. I found the hardest part was all the treats that get brought in by other employees or office birthday's. It seemed like every time you turned around there was birthday cake or there were leftovers from someone's picnic they had the weekend before. I just needed to keep walking past and stay focused on my goals. I did indulge from time to time, but just be careful not to let one cookie lead to 6 cookies.
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Keep doing what you're doing and you should be fine. I have a desk job as well but I haven't gained any weight. I exercise 2-3 times a week and eat well.

Just be mindful of your snacking and don't order too much takeout.
  • steveyinasia
    steveyinasia Posts: 121 Member
    In two recent posts you have mentioned these Graze snacks, obviously you are benefiting from the promotion of this stuff. Most of us are participants on the boards to help people, not for financial gain. Whereas I appreciate the advice here, unwanted sales promotion is not acceptable.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    In two recent posts you have mentioned these Graze snacks, obviously you are benefiting from the promotion of this stuff. Most of us are participants on the boards to help people, not for financial gain. Whereas I appreciate the advice here, unwanted sales promotion is not acceptable.
    +1
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Well, you don't gain weight from sitting, but if that means your energy expenditure is lower than it usually is, and you are eating just as much, you might gain weight. Just adjust your estimated activity and have MFP recalculate your TDEE. You may have to eat a little less or commit to some more activity through the week.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member

Why aren't you the sleuth. She is in fact promoting her own referral link. I think I'm going to report the posts because I'm bored lol.
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Hi
    Do you just need to change your settings so you are secondary? which will adjust your calories?

Did you have a lot more active job before?

Also I think the graze boxes are pretty healthy but often have a lot more calories than I would have as a snack so guess you just need to watch your calories?