Annoyed.

Options
I have a habit of weighing myself everyday (bad I know) and on Saturday I was so ecstatic that I'd lost 2lb. Well today it's saying I'm a pound heavier! I've been exercising quite a lot and my water intake on Saturday was awful and on Sunday wasn't the best, do you think it could be water retention?

Replies

• KittyKat213
    Options
    I think this is why you are advised against weighing every day!! Weight can fluctuate massively from one day to the next and even during each day, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Maybe just get weighed once a week, same time each week! So long as you are seeing a downward trend overall thats the important thing. Good luck :smile:
  • phover
    phover Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh myself too often.....don't beat yourself up about it, and try to weigh yourself once a week at most. This way your day to day fluctuations won't get you down. Go by how your body feels.....less annoying sometimes....:smile:
  • caroarcia
    caroarcia Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes definitely!! It happens to me too... any time I have a bad water day I gain one o two lbs and feel terrible, just remember that water is key!
    Good luck and don't let it get you down :)
  • Fliegenschwein
    Fliegenschwein Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Fluctuating that much can only be water weight I reckon. I know if I slack with the water it can affect what the scales say too. I wouldn't worry too much about it and as the above poster says, maybe try and weight yourself once a week as its far easier to see the general trend that way. Good luck :smile:
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I'm horrible about weighing myself every day too. I bet it's just water retention like you said. I had a couple high-sodium days where I gained from one day to the next but once I upped my water intake, it went right back down. :) Good luck!!!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I wanted to see how my weight fluctuated. So my weigh in day is Saturday. I weighed 230.4. On Sunday I weighed 228. This morning I was 229. Tomorrow I might be back at 230 or 231. It happens. Just pick one day to weigh in and stick to that day if you can't deal with the highs & lows of the scale. Water retention is apart of diet and exercise.
  • Lacole216
    Options
    I know what you mean I weigh myself daily too. I came down consistently the week before last losing 4 lbs. but last week I was "see-sawing' up & down all last week and only dropped one pound :( I made the decision today to only weigh once a week as suggested. Good luck on your weight loss journey :flowerforyou:
  • BakingGranny
    BakingGranny Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Definately not good in weighing every day. Your water retention will fluctuate daily and even hourly. I try to weigh myself once a week. THEN if I gain,there's a problem. Then I go back and see what I did different. That's why I start out slower. I try to weigh myself on Sunday mornings right after I Relieve myself.Same time. Just try it. You'll be happily surprised. Just don't get discouraged. That's what the devil wants. He loves us to be unhappy with ourselves.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    if its going to get you upset don't do it!
  • LauraMcGanity
    Options
    I've made the decision to only weigh myself every 4 weeks, because I know, from the past, how disheartened I get when the scale doesn't go down. I will be measuring myself every week though - upper arms and thighs as well as bust, waist and hips.
  • yepratt
    yepratt Posts: 26
    Options
    yes! you can be retaining water. also be aware of what you eat because you may have eaten something high in sodium and where there is sodium there will be water, and that's how we retain water weight. the solution is a) watch out for high sodium meals, and b) if you know you are eating a high sodium meal drink lots of water and than drink more. so that your body will say high too much fluid in here lets pee it out to get it back to a normal state. and c) stick to weighing yourself on saturday mornings only.. good luck!
  • daisabelle
    daisabelle Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I had fajitas yesterday for dinner and there was quite a lot of seasoning in the vegetables and the chicken so I think it must have been pretty sodium rich. I'm upping my water intake this week and i'm going to try and not weigh myself again till next Monday :-) evil scales! Hehe.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Yup. I went 3 days without exercise and lost. After two days of exercise, I'm up a little bit. I'm not letting it get me down though.