Natural Weight Loss success?

Options
I'm wondering if anyone here has struggled with weight loss previously and has now found success with weight loss naturally? I don't intend to judge or put down people who are using prescription meds or surgery but for me that is not an option right now and I just need to know that I can do this. After failing so many times over and over, I'm feeling like this is impossible!! I'm so tempted to go and get a prescription but I'd rather do this naturally right now.
This is my attempt so far:
August 1 to current (jogging and walking 30 minutes every weekday morning; 1 hour hike on the weekends)
June 1 to July 31 (walking 60 minutes 6 days per week)
March 1 to Mid May (Jillian body revolution 30 minutes 4 days per week and walking 30 minutes 1 weekend day).

I didn't track my calories religiously but my typical day was (breakfast fruit and almond butter or oatmeal or fruit or 3 eggs or 2 turkey sausage patties or yogurt and nuts) Lunch (left overs meat and veggie with occasional pasta or rice or an adkins protein bar which is most often ). Dinner (meat and veggie (often two servings) every now and then a pasta or rice with the meat and veggie. On most days stove top popcorn with truvia and occasionally with butter. About 4-6 x month going out to eat (no fast food)-yuck no mcdoanlds) but places like village in, ihop, kneaders, pho, pizza)

Currently I'm tracking all calories I put in my mouth! I bought a fit bit last week and am doing my best to get my 10,000 steps in. I've managed that over the past several days but it's not so easy on work days and I have a desk job on most days with some days where I"m driving a lot.

Any insight or encouragement would be great!

Replies

• babedow77
    babedow77 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Also, I've lost about 4 lbs since beginning in March but that is from 8 lbs that i lost while eating Paleo over two weeks for 4 days of the 7 each week). I've gained 4lbs back and have kept 4 lbs off. No other weight loss noted . I've been tested for thyroid, insulin. I have some form of anemia but not sure exactly to what extent yet.
  • z_bra
    z_bra Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Its good to exercise for fitness but make sure you count your calories... that is eating out quite a lot and it doesnt really matter if you are eating mcdonalds or ihop its still high calorie- make sure it fits!
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Most of the people who have lost weight on MFP have done it naturally ( no drugs, no surgery ). I think the common advice for you will be to set healthy, realistic weight loss goals (read = relatively slow) and treat MFP like a lifestyle not a diet. Good luck! I've just been cutting back on junk food, reducing portion size, exercising a bit more (nothing crazy), and logging. So far, so good.
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I lost 101 lbs with diet and exercise.

Just NEVER give up!
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    Options
    Most of the people who have lost weight on MFP have done it naturally ( no drugs, no surgery ). I think the common advice for you will be to set healthy, realistic weight loss goals (read = relatively slow) and treat MFP like a lifestyle not a diet. Good luck! I've just been cutting back on junk food, reducing portion size, exercising a bit more (nothing crazy), and logging. So far, so good.

This. Track all food accurately, set a reasonable calorie goal - not overeating but not starving, and make an exercise plan that you can stick with. It's taken me nearly 3 years to lose just on 150lbs but I did it with no drugs, no surgery. Just consistency and patience.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit = weigh loss. Start tracking and logging accurately, and you will lose. Exercise is an added benefit for your health, with strength training (in my case), to help to reposition some icky areas around the body.
  • Luuvy
    Luuvy Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to weigh or measure all of your food so you can log it properly. This way you can make sure your not eating more than what you are logging.

I definitely struggled in the beginning, lol honestly I still struggle. It has been a slow journey for me but it is not a diet. It is a new lifestyle and it is something that I can maintain. Find what works for you, it will take time to figure out but it will be worth it.

Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • cookmtn
    cookmtn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have struggled most of my adult life with my weight. I have even used calorie counting sites in the past that didn't last. Now I'm commited to this and it is working. It is a lot about your mindset. Read all the stickies at the beginning of the getting started forum over and over. Get a food scale, eat back 1/2 to 3/4 of your exercise calories. It is simple if your willing to put in some effort. Learn as much as you can and Good Luck.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    No pills, no surgery. Well, I take a hormone, but everyone else has that naturally, so it just evened me up. :)

You can do it. If you're committed to doing it, if you're determined to stick with it no matter what and if you're patient enough to keep going when the results are slow - you'll be skinny! :D

A lot of people learn their TDEEs and so the math and it really helps. I started losing before I ever heard of that, so I decided to dance with who brung me. :)

Good luck!!
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    That definitely seems like a lot of calories, but maybe for you it's more normal. I'd start eating less restaurant foods and more things that are better for you; you may be surprised :)

Mostly, it's just move more, eat less!
  • chilly1470
    chilly1470 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    It's simple, and has already been stated, track your calories and stay within your daily calorie number. That's it. Oh, and keep exercising, that hastens weight loss. Keep eating healthy stuff. You can have goodies, but once again, keep in your goal. I read you should eat healthy 80% of the time, with treats and things for the other 20. Sometimes I don't have treats but once a week. And I am talking about a piece of cake, an extra slice of pizza, ice cream etc. I have grown accustomed to fruit and veggies and whole grains. I do eat whatever I want, though, and I stay under my goal. I was a diet freak in the past, with little to no success. Surgery and pills are not an option for me. It has to be natural or I just won't do it. In two months I am down 30 pounds, and it has been fun and a learning experience. The best I have ever done.!