good walking shoes?

Options
Does anyone have any info on a good pair of walking shoes? I would love to start walking, yet my feet hurt so bad after grocery shopping. I feel it has something to do with my shoes. Any help would be appreciated. Thank-you

Replies

• Traci_duncan
    Traci_duncan Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I love my Adidas & new balances. Each person is different. I litterly go to the Academy & try on several before I buy them. Right now I am very over weight so I plain to start walking short distances till I can do more cause my feet hurt due to me being so overweight.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    I love New Balance for running.

Go to Academy or ****'s Sporting Goods. Get fitted for some walking shoes. Once you do that, it should resolve the issue.

I guess you will have to guess the name of the sporting goods store - it rhymes with Rick's. LOL, MFP - never change!
  • FFSL
    FFSL Posts: 2
    Options
    I am using Sketchers go walk with the memory foam sole. I have arthritis in my feet & I find these really comfy.
  • JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I've always worn New Balance, until after an ankle injury, when I needed something low on the sides. I'm currently wearing Skechers Actives.
  • epido
    epido Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I've worn Saucony and currently have a pair of Brooks that I am wearing. I went to a runner's store (Blue Mile, Runner's Forum, etc) and had them fit me. They did a gait analysis to determine what type of support I needed and had me try on several different pairs of shoes with that type of support in them. It was totally worth it to have a good pair of shoes that were comfortable!
  • cm4ccd
    cm4ccd Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies. It's so wonderful to know so many are willing to help in so many ways.
  • nmcknny
    nmcknny Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Go to a store where there is a variety of brands and styles, and get fitted. You can get shoes that are made expressly for walking, or cross trainers could work. Walking shoes give you support and room for your feet to move properly as you walk through a stride.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Sketchers shape- ups with the rocker soles are the only ones I use to go on walks. Comfortable, makes the walk easier. Love 'em.

p.s. I have arthritis in my feet and ankles... these shoes help.
  • FoogooFish
    FoogooFish Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    New Balance. I've used that brand for almost eight years now, and I love it!
  • Scythe5
    Scythe5 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I tend to lean towards Brooks for running shoes, Asics for cross training etc.

Since you want to start walking, you'll definitely want a good pair of shoes. Look for a sports type store (Sports Chalet, Lady Foot Locker, etc.) where people are trained to fit your shoe properly (there is more to it than just size).
  • jenschroll
    jenschroll Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    When I started my fitness regimen, I was super happy with the New Balance brand of shoes. Definitely hit your local running store and get fitted properly for a shoe that suits your activity. Good luck!
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I can't recommend a brand because feet are different shapes. I would find something with enough space and length for my toes in a pair fine and a pair of thicker socks to help to avoid blisters, with support for my foots natural arch and grip at the heel, also an opening which is long enough for you to easily fit your foot in and a lacing or closure which readily adjusts to your foot, without the sides touching when new. It can be difficult to find all these in one place. It is important to have your foot supported as it rolls through its natural reflexes as you walk. Then break them in gently, a few short walks before you go for the big stuff. I would also say the most expensive are not always the best for you, neither are the cheapest. Hope you find happy feet.
  • NoMoreBlameGame
    NoMoreBlameGame Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    My recommendation is Vasque brand....paired with the Polysorb brand insole labeled "cross-trainer" (they take up quite a bit of room so I wouldn't buy the shoes first, I'd try everything on, regardless of brand...with insoles if you want to use them). I think the latest is the Grand Traverse with regard to Vasque (but I haven't used that particular style). I've worn Vasque for years now, though...including when I used to walk a lot (before my hips went kaput).

I worked for Red Wing Shoe Co. for several years and we were in constant communication with several podiatrists in the area. We fitted all the EMTs and firefighters in the city (eye candy job, lol). Anyway, podiatrists have LOADS of awesome information and most of the time they (ours anyway) happily shared that info.

Regardless of what brand you choose, the best advice I can give is to make sure:

* you have *ample* room in the toe box. Happy toes make happy feet, and your toes need lots of wiggle room. People would be surprised at the leg problems, back problems, gait problems that can occur by something as simple as getting shoes that are snug in the toe box. You should be able to wiggle all of your toes all over the place in a shoe, believe it or not. You shouldn't feel any part of the shoe on your toes when you walk, run or jog....except the insole.

* hug your transverse arch and heel... Whether it is for work purposes, casual purposes or walking/running purposes, a new shoe should fit snug at the transverse metatarsal arch and snug in the heel. *Not* tight, mind you...but snug. Your bones and/or any bunions you have there shouldn't feel squeezed, but "hugged". This allows the shoes the fit needed to adjust to the natural movement of your individual feet.

*Always, always always try *both* shoes on, because 100% of the people I personally fitted...had two different sized feet; everyone has different sized feet in length if nothing else. Sometimes it's barely a smidge and sometimes it can be an entire size. Don't try the right and say you wear an 8 because your left foot might need an 8.5 or 9 even (in which case buy the 9s unless you can talk the sales clerk into letting you mix-n-match).

* The widest part of the shoe should be at approximately the same location as the widest part of your foot (the transverse MTH zone). Not doing so can cause issues with your arches, as the insoles of the shoe and other insoles you may place in there...won't be aligned with your actual arch...it'll be aligned with the arch of the shoe, and that's not pleasant.

....I just wanted to help. I'm not an "expert" by definition, but I think working for one of the most well-known and well respected shoe companies in America for many years, and fitting literally thousands and thousands of feet...makes me a little more experienced than the average bear if nothing else. :)

Whatever brand you decide on...I hope they're the best walking shoes you've ever had! :D
  • judeveg
    judeveg Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Sketchers go walk are very comfy I've had mine for a few weeks and I love them.
  • Vic8893
    Vic8893 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    New Balance for sure! If you go to an actual New Balance store (as opposed to a Foot Locker etc.) they will usually fit you for the sneakers to make sure they are perfect for what you need.

Maybe you need orthotics as well to help with the pain?

Good luck in your search!
  • squishycatmew
    squishycatmew Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Go to a dedicated running store/sporting goods store with a dedicated, educated shoe dept. and have your gait and arch analyzed, then start looking at shoes that work for your particular gait and feet. If you still have problems, you might want to see a podiatrist - I have pretty wonky feet (genetics, woo!) and I wear prescribed, customized orthotic inserts in all my shoes other than heels and sandals, including my sneakers, but I also specifically buy stability/motion control running shoes (for walking and working out, running flat out is actually painful) for additional support. (That doesn't mean that's what you need - it depends on your arch and gait.) Right now I have a pair of Asics Kayano, which are on my doc's list of recommended shoes (http://www.saintfrancismemorial.org/stellent/groups/public/@xinternet_con_sfs/documents/pandp/2014_athletic_shoes.pdf) - I was lucky to find them at Sports Basement for $45 less than list price.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    4 years ago I broke my ankle and leg the shoe I wear is Skechers Walker they feel great. I over weight also a lot.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    They're hideously ugly and not good for indoor walking on floors like they have in malls and hospitals, but Crocs are amazingly comfortable, keep your feet cool (or warm, with the liners) and are like walking on air.

People make fun of them because they really are hideous, but if you've reached the point in your life where you'd rather walk on air than care what people think, try them out. They need a little breaking in. I wouldn't wear a new pair on a long walk first thing. But they're so wonderful.
  • cm4ccd
    cm4ccd Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much...a lot of useful information.