WATERMELON CALORIES

Options
Why do watermelons contain so many calories!? (nearly 1,400 calories in one melon!)
I love watermelon and I typically eat a quarter to a half of a watermelon in one sitting, but it always throws off my calories limit :(

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing out on a food scale the melon you're actually consuming? Because I'm looking at about 4lbs of watermelon at 540 calories - are you putting down 4-5 lbs of melon a day?
  • graciiekim
    graciiekim Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Oh, I eat watermelons that are quite big. Most of mine tend to be around 10-15 pounds!
  • arumping
    arumping Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Is all that 10-15 lbs the edible fruit of the melon or the whole melon, rind and all. Obviously you are not eating the rind so you probably should go with weighing the actual fruit you cut to eat to get a more true count of calories.
  • Jackiedhb
    Options
    Just burn it off, it's way better than candy and filled with water..
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    LOL....that's all I have....
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    LOVE my watermelon too, I was very surprised at the calorie content in it when I started logging for sure. I can have 300 grams (a nice size bowl) for 90 calories. I'm thinking it has got to be the natural sugars in it that give it so many calories. My suggestion OP is to weigh and log it properly, and enjoy it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Me too.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    There are few things you can eat 5-7 pounds of without it being a serious calorie hit
  • RAWR1202
    Options
    Share it out with family, friends, neighbours, etc. You won't get the chance to eat so much of it that way.
    Or you could just wear a tight belt around your waist.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options

I'll raise you a WTF
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Me too.

I tend to agree
  • MyRummyHens
    MyRummyHens Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Wow and I thought I ate a lot of water melon! I usually have 500g (150 calories) which is approximately half of a small water melon for breakfast and I am so full of all that juicy fruit that I am struggling to comprehend how someone physically manages 350 calories worth in one go!

In terms of volume of food for calories I really don't think they are that bad!
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    As above, with pretty much everything we eat it comes down to portion control, watermelon is high in natural sugars (as with a lot of fruit), just because it's a fruit and a natural food, doesn't mean we can eat unlimited amounts of it.
    I really like watermelon but I couldn't eat 3.5kg of it every day (I love chocolate more and would struggle to eat 3.5kg of chocolate in a day), I've just cooked a whole chicken that weighs less than 3kg and it's doing me for lunch for the week and 2 dinners.
    You need to start preparing the watermelon and weighing what you're actually eating and then look to portion control (assuming you want to stay within your calories and macros, if you don't, just keep eating)!