way under calories

Options
Hi guys,

The last two days I have been hiking in the mountains for 2+ hours and burning a TON of calories. I know that I need to eat them back but MFP is wanting me to eat 1200 more calories today and it's 8pm. I'm only netting like 300 calories. It was like that yesterday too. I plan to get into hiking more and doing it much more often as I have really enjoyed it and living in the mountains, we have the most fantastic views. My concern is that I can't eat nearly enough to compensate for what I have burned. Is that going to negatively impact weight loss? I know you should net at least 1200 calories a day but I can't eat that much.....

What do I do?

Replies

• tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Scratch that, I'm netting 68 calories today.
  • z_bra
    z_bra Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    What are you basing your calorie burn on?

You dont need to eat those calories back..
  • tara_means_star
    Options
    I have checked a few online sources to make sure that I'm in the right ball park because I know MFP overestimates calorie burn. I'm doing this until I get the chance to buy a heart rate monitor to know more certainly. I was just worried that netting so few calories might be unhealthy or impede weight loss.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter!
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    MFP WAY overestimates hiking calories. Unless you are literally running up a mountain, I would just log it as walking briskly.
  • Wenchiness
    Wenchiness Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    If you are a fit and healthy person at your desired weight, eat the calories back. However, if you are trying to lose weight and you feel full and satisfied with what you consumed today then don't eat them back. Estimating calorie burn is a tricky tricky deal.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    A little preplanning is something you need to work on... Don't wait until 8 at night to force feed yourself, spread those calories out over the course of the day especially if you know you will be doing a 2 hour hike in the mountains that day.... Due to my workouts and being at maintenance I am consuming 4000 calories a day and even though I am a firm believer in there being no such thing as meal timing I know that I need to spread some calories out over the course of my day.... I tend to get a good start with breakfast (1200-1400 calories). Eat more calorie dense foods... Peanut butter is your friend in situations such as today... A Peanut butter sandwich with a glass of milk could net you 600 calories easily and isn't a whole lot of food.... best of Luck
  • tara_means_star
    Options
    we were hiking trails consider very strenuous up the side of a mountain...so yes.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I don't buy those calorie burns. Have a little snack, if you want. But if you aren't hungry, don't eat.

You may be reaching a point where you can start paying attention to your body - eat when hungry. :)
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    If you are a fit and healthy person at your desired weight, eat the calories back. However, if you are trying to lose weight and you feel full and satisfied with what you consumed today then don't eat them back. Estimating calorie burn is a tricky tricky deal.

I disagree to an extent here... Being overweight doesn't mean your body still doesn't need fueled properly especially if you are doing strenuous exercise.... It is a good habit to form early on to make sure your calorie deficit is not extreme. A modest deficit to lose weight while eating enough to fuel your workouts is in my opinion the best way to go... It is how I lost the vast majority of my weight... But to each their own.... Again Best of Luck OP
  • phyllb
    phyllb Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I have spent the lady 2weeks hiking. I find that you can't eat all your excercise calories. I typically eat 30 to 40 percent of them but I am gosling for slow steady loss and am post menopausal so my burn rate will be different. Trial it for yourself to see where u should be
  • hhumphries578
    hhumphries578 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You don't need to eat them back at all. Just stay eating your typical 2000 calories or whatever, it'll be fine.