Getting to 10,000 steps a day

Options
I've been wearing my fitbit flex everyday for the past 2 weeks. I noticed that I take anywhere between 1200 and 3000 steps a day, although most days are somewhere around 1800. I don't want to jump straight into 10,000 steps because I can not afford to get injured right now (new job). I read a few different places that recommend using your current average as I starting point. Since my average seems to be around 1800, would 2500 be too high of a starting goal? And in terms of increasing, should I aim to increase it weekly or biweekly?

Replies

• FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    weekly
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I worked up to doing about 15 - 20k steps a day from totally sedentary and my advice is to ignore the step count completely. And do what you feel you are able to do. At your level honestly 3000 steps is almost completely sedentary. I get that walking around the town center. Start by adding a 20 minute dedicated walk to whatever you do every day. The key is regularity. Do not miss a day. After a week add 10 minutes to the walk. And keep going in this fashion. Your step count will increase naturally. Eventually you will find a natural place where you don't get too tired.

I know it seems weird but 10k isn't really an achievement it's the minimum you need to do to really have a good walking habit. To most people this is an hour ... hour and a half on their feet. Personally I usually hit between 16 - 18k steps a day. And I have seen people who hit 20 - 25k mark on the walking forums. And believe me I used to be a couch potato. It can be done just build up slowly at your own pace and never spend a whole day sitting on the couch. There is never any reason but laziness for that.
  • dazwan
    dazwan Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    As you haven't commented on your general health/fitness/activity/weight etc. or your aims its hard to give advice as to what you should do. There's all sorts of little things you can do in the day to add steps though (its amazing how they can add up).

Here's a few I can think of
    :
    * If you can get away from your desk at work, get up and go for a short walk, this isn't a full on stroll but, every hour or so, just get out of your chair and stretch those legs, even a walk to the coffee machine/water cooler at the OTEHR end of the office should be enough even if you don't need anything make the effort to get up. We have a canteen that is a few minutes walk or a machine right outside my door, I prefer a stroll to the canteen (plus it wakes me up a bit in the afternoon).

* Park at the far end of the car park, as well as getting a few extra yards in, I often find it's generally quieter and so you aren't struggling to squeeze the car in somewhere.

* Get out at lunchtime and take a walk rather than sitting at your desk.

* Have an evening walk after dinner, nothing strenuous just a 30 minute stroll. If you can, get to a local park and just enjoy the fresh air, do a few laps if you need to.

* Stand rather than sit, the minute I sit down in the evening I know I aren't getting up for a while, so sometimes I just resist the temptation and go busy myself somewhere.

* If you can, WALK! that 2 minute drive to the local shop can be a nice 30 minute walk (plus it saves on fuel).

As you sound worried about too much too soon, your body will tell you that, don't worry about building up a sweat (I sweat just walking to the end of the street) but keep an eye out for any pains or sores. Get some good quality comfy shoes/trainers (or sneakers if you're on the wrong side of the pond) for walking in and only do as much as you feel capable of. What works for one person may not work for you, don't push too hard and don't expect instant results.

Personally, I use the 10k steps thing as a guide, from the number of steps you'll get a more accurate estimate of the number of calories burnt, I had a jawbone up and that used to offset these calories against my allowance in MFP so I had a better idea of how many calories I had for food (the more steps I do = more food I can eat! BONUS!!!).
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    10K isn't too hard when you get into the swing, it's just moving as much as possible, my job gives me about 13-14000 in a 9hr day.
    10K is just 7.62Km's or 90mins of walking at a decent pace..

as for getting injured, how would you risk getting injured walking anymore then you would doing any other task?

and if you have a lower day you can make up for it on another, it doesn't have to be 10K a day. for instance on weekends i intentionally go for long walks on both days. but i like my average to be 100K steps a week.

as above said just start small, 60mins of walking will get you up around 7000 depending on your speed and stride length.
  • brandnewsnickerpuss
    Options
    I find it helpful to wake up a bit early and get a walk in first thing in the morning. If I do that, then I know I am in good shape for my step count for the day. If I leave the walk until later in the day, the chance of me taking said walk diminishes as the day wears on...
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Largely a question of time commitment - 10000 steps takes me about 1h30
  • HappilySingle
    HappilySingle Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have trouble getting to 10,000 but I do walk 3 miles daily so I don't sweat not getting to 10,000 steps.
    The 3 miles takes me about 1 hour 15 minutes, but I walk at varying speeds
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Going from 1800 to 2500 should be easy and upping that weekly should be easy, too. I figure about 100 steps per minute, so from 1800-2500 is only going from like 18 total minutes moving all day to 25. I think you could go up 1000 steps each week. That's only 10 minutes a day in added walking.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I set the silent alarms on my fitbit to remind me to get up during the work day. I have one in the morning and one in the afternoon (I use it as my 15 min breaks). It has helped me go from 3000 steps in a work day to 6000 steps in the work day. That way when I get home, it's not such a huge task to get the rest of my steps in.
  • Mohana94
    Options
    I walk 8 km everyday to hit 10000 -12000 steps and take about 1 &1/2 to 2 hours. Sometimes I hit it with 6km because most days I take the public transport so I tend to walk more like to and from the train station. 1800 -2500 steps a day is not bad. I think you could slowly increase it weekly. Spend around 20 minutes walking everyday and then increase it to 30-35. You don't have to brisk walk or walk super fast. Even a leisurely stroll at your own comfortable pace everyday is fine. I'm assuming you've got no health problems btw. Good luck. you can definitely do it and increasing from 1800 to 2500 sounds reasonable.
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    We recently got a dog, and I walk him about a mile twice daily, that has really helped me get my step counts up. Also I've changed my mindset about chores. Instead of doing everything in the most efficient manner possible, I try to make each chore into a mini workout. For example laundry: Squats to unload the dryer 1-2 pieces at a time, rather than bending over and grabbing as much as possible. Then I fold the one piece of laundry and walk it across the the kitchen to the table to set it down. And then instead of again loading my arms with as much as possible to carry upstairs, I'll take one small group at a time (just the socks, just underwear, just pants, etc.). Also instead of using the bathroom closest to me, I'll go up or down the stairs to get to the farthest one. Walk up and down every aisle at the grocery store, whether I need to or not. Lots of little ways to add more steps to your daily routine, just gotta get rid of that mind set of efficiency
  • Mohana94
    Options
    I know it seems weird but 10k isn't really an achievement it's the minimum you need to do to really have a good walking habit. To most people this is an hour ... hour and a half on their feet. Personally I usually hit between 16 - 18k steps a day. And I have seen people who hit 20 - 25k mark on the walking forums. And believe me I used to be a couch potato. It can be done just build up slowly at your own pace and never spend a whole day sitting on the couch. There is never any reason but laziness for that.

Actually that's not true... some people have foot problems which can make walking extremely painful as too much pressure is put on the foot. There are always alternative exercises to walking though.
  • Mohana94
    Options
    We recently got a dog, and I walk him about a mile twice daily, that has really helped me get my step counts up. Also I've changed my mindset about chores. Instead of doing everything in the most efficient manner possible, I try to make each chore into a mini workout. For example laundry: Squats to unload the dryer 1-2 pieces at a time, rather than bending over and grabbing as much as possible. Then I fold the one piece of laundry and walk it across the the kitchen to the table to set it down. And then instead of again loading my arms with as much as possible to carry upstairs, I'll take one small group at a time (just the socks, just underwear, just pants, etc.). Also instead of using the bathroom closest to me, I'll go up or down the stairs to get to the farthest one. Walk up and down every aisle at the grocery store, whether I need to or not. Lots of little ways to add more steps to your daily routine, just gotta get rid of that mind set of efficiency

Oh that sounds like a great idea! I should do that. I tend to do exercises while relaxing. for example, doing weights while watching tv, doing sit ups during advertisements and reading a good book while on the treadmill etc. It makes exercising seem less of a chore and more fun as well
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I've been wearing my fitbit flex everyday for the past 2 weeks. I noticed that I take anywhere between 1200 and 3000 steps a day, although most days are somewhere around 1800. I don't want to jump straight into 10,000 steps because I can not afford to get injured right now (new job). I read a few different places that recommend using your current average as I starting point. Since my average seems to be around 1800, would 2500 be too high of a starting goal? And in terms of increasing, should I aim to increase it weekly or biweekly?

No, 2500 would not be too high. It is high enough to challenge you but is also very doable.

As far as increasing, how do you feel on the days that you do closer to 3000? If nothing hurts (maybe a few aches, but no actual pain) I would say try increasing by 500 weekly.

Congrats! I started at 2000 in March and am now up to 7000. I had to increase slowly because of hip, knee, and back issues

ETA: I see my goal as a minimum, not a final goal I need to reach
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone.

To answer some points:

Unfortunately I don't have a desk job. I job back on sept 12. I work in an ambulance in a really busy area, so the steps I get there are from responding to calls. I can't just take a walk at any time :(.

As for the person who asked how I could get injured, it has happened before. Last time I got too enthusiastic about exercise I ended up injuring a muscle and it was no fun. I want to push myself, but not to the point where I get Injured again.

Oh and calling someone lazy when you don't know their circumstances is kind of off putting and makes you seem like you believe you are holier than thou.

I need to start slow since at this weight I have back pain when walking too far. I know after I lose about 20 lbs it will fade because it usually does. However, for now it is very hard to walk for long periods of time. I have been using a stationary bike instead to get exercise.

Thank you everyone again :)
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    It's completely reasonable to start out slow, especially when you have back issues when walking to far at once. My suggestion would be to set it at 2,500 to start and increase when you see your able to do more, with NO PAIN. Instead of trying to do a 30 minutes walk, do it 5 steps at a time to increase your steps. For me while my number is higher I fit the extra steps I need in with simple things. If I am watching TV, during the commercials I go up and down my staircase, when i drive somewhere I park in the spot the farthest away from the store as I can. When I go out to get the mail, I first walk to the end of the block (about 6 houses down) before coming back to the mail box (which is right in front of my house). If you would like to feel free to friend me on Fitbit (or on here as well). My link is: https://www.fitbit.com/user/2G5XJP
  • Mohana94
    Options
    Thank you everyone.

To answer some points:

Unfortunately I don't have a desk job. I job back on sept 12. I work in an ambulance in a really busy area, so the steps I get there are from responding to calls. I can't just take a walk at any time :(.

As for the person who asked how I could get injured, it has happened before. Last time I got too enthusiastic about exercise I ended up injuring a muscle and it was no fun. I want to push myself, but not to the point where I get Injured again.

Oh and calling someone lazy when you don't know their circumstances is kind of off putting and makes you seem like you believe you are holier than thou.

I need to start slow since at this weight I have back pain when walking too far. I know after I lose about 20 lbs it will fade because it usually does. However, for now it is very hard to walk for long periods of time. I have been using a stationary bike instead to get exercise.

Thank you everyone again :)

A stationary bike is an excellent alternative. I can relate because walking used to be difficult for me too so I used the stationary bike until it felt less painful to walk. You can do it. walking is not the only way to lose weight. Cycling can get you there as well. However in my experience, the pedometer does not record cycling activity.
  • kyach
    kyach Posts: 17
    Options
    Nice steady increases are great, and bicycling is excellent exercise
  • phyllb
    phyllb Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Take your time working up. It has taken me over two months to achieve that type of walking because I have feet and knee problems. I got really good shoes and a very high quality workout mat and also mixed walking barefoot to build up feet muscles. I get injured very easily so am very cautious about moving up.
    For those of us with desk jobs , we may get extremely low counts. So hitting 10,000 is a huge time commitment, it's all a balance between calories in out. And improving cardio. Don't let anyone put u down about being cautious and steady. Listen to your body.
    I have finally managed to pass 10,000 without pain and am going up steadily.
  • phyllb
    phyllb Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Take your time working up. It has taken me over two months to achieve that type of walking because I have feet and knee problems. I got really good shoes and a very high quality workout mat and also mixed walking barefoot to build up feet muscles. I get injured very easily so am very cautious about moving up.
    For those of us with desk jobs , we may get extremely low counts. So hitting 10,000 is a huge time commitment, it's all a balance between calories in out. And improving cardio. Don't let anyone put u down about being cautious and steady. Listen to your body.
    I have finally managed to pass 10,000 without pain and am going up steadily.