Should I see a doctor?

Options
I'm a 22 year old female, 5'5" and 120-125 pounds. I'm very active and work out usually 5 times a week. I'll normally do some kind of cardio (usually running) and weight training on most days that I work out.

The past few weeks I have been getting extremely light headed when at the gym. I always thought that it was just because I go after work and usually don't eat a whole lot before I go work out.

Twice within the past week I have been getting a tingly feeling in my left finger tips (like the top inch of my fingers) that doesn't seem to go away when I move my fingers around to get the blood circulating. Sometimes when I run too my toes will temporarily feel numb.

Then today, after my run, I was standing in between sets of ab work and got a shooting pain right in my heart, followed by incredible amounts of pressure in the same area.

Should I go and see a doctor? Any ideas what it could be?

Replies

• sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Yes! Please go see a doctor or maybe even ER if you're still having symptoms.
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I would call the Doctor. At least call your Doctor!!! Have a check up.

I know as for the light headedness I've gotten that. Now I try to eat at least a 1/2-1 protein bar before working out. Also brought some potassium. My toes do go numb on the elliptical. Finger tips....could be a little carpal tunnel.

Could be anxiety? or could be your overdoing it.
  • jessicagrieshaber
    jessicagrieshaber Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I was thinking that it could be anxiety too. I guess I have been extra stressed lately...
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    It very well could be anxiety. I have pretty severe anxiety and have suffered from panic attacks for over 20 years. I get all sorts of weird symptoms when I am stressed, which is pretty much always, lol. But they also ran a lot of tests on me early on to make sure it was anxiety. Please go get yourself checked. If you are stressed, at the very least, this may give you peace of mind when it turns out (hopefully) to be nothing.
  • jstrickler
    jstrickler Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? Do your symptoms go away with rest?
  • jessicagrieshaber
    jessicagrieshaber Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? Do your symptoms go away with rest?
    I drink 10+ cups of water a day. They tend to go away on their own but come back sporadically.
  • JayaNagarajan
    JayaNagarajan Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Call definitely and see if they say that you should come in.

I had similar symptoms for a few days and it turned out I fractured a rib.... I hope you're okay!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Yes, see a doctor. Even if it's nothing it's better to know for sure.

Most of your diary is blank but if you're still eating 1200 calories per day (like the few logged days) that's not enough to support that much activity. Especially since you're in a healthy weight range.
  • NoMoreBlameGame
    NoMoreBlameGame Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert on anything (literally)...but...since this has been happening just the last few weeks and involves lightheadedness, tingling, numbness... and your chest? I think that alone warrants not only a trip to your doctor...but an immediate one at that. I fully agree with the poster who stated "maybe even the ER" if your symptoms continue or worsen.

Anxiety...yes, it could be, but it could be a host of other things too...some more serious than others.

I may sound like a worry wart but if it were me and that happened (even if I was a healthy size like you)....my butt woulda been in the ER on the first occurrence...that sounds scary.
  • 1991Louise
    1991Louise Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Don't mess around with your heart. Go to the emergency room right now and tell them you've been havign sporadic chest pains. They should fast track you through and do an EKG.

I was having chest pressure and felt there were problems with my heart beat during an exceptionally stressful time in my life a few years ago and did the same as above. Medical workers take all complaints regarding the heart very seriously. It turned out to be just anxiety for me luckily and ended up being the gateway to learning coping and relaxation techniques for anxiety and stress.

Don't worry about seeming overdramatic, just go and do it to give yourself peace of mind so that you can move on :)
  • DeeDeeMee
    DeeDeeMee Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Dizziness can be the result of lots of things - dehydration, stress, nutrient imbalance, or it could be more sinister.

Coupled with tingling fingers and chest pain..... It could be anything from dehydration to a spinal injury or a heart problem.

If the problem dissipates with rest and fluid then see your doctor asap. If you feel like that in the gym but still feel like it an hour later, go to hospital. And don't drive yourself there, get someone else to take you or call an ambulance.

Also on the water.... sometimes just drinking water isn't enough. If you've flushed the electrolytes out of your system you'll literally pee out anything you put in, it won't hydrate you. Have a sports drink or some hydralyte or something (something with sugar and salts etc in it - you do seriously need these) and see if that helps.
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    The tingling in your fingers is what really concerns me. You defiantly should contact your doctor. If the days you have recorded in your diary is what you normally eat like on a daily bases you also need to eat more. As much as you are exercising 1000 and 1200 calories is just not enough to fuel your body. Your BMR is around 1350, so you should have that at a minimum. Good luck and hope you are feeling better soon!
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    That's "See a doctor" level stuff.
  • dedflwrs
    dedflwrs Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Usually, when people ask if they should see a doctor they should.
    Be safe and make an appointment.
  • Kazzam33
    Options
    Could maybe have low BP?? Definitely go see a doc though. :smile:
  • milocamolly
    milocamolly Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I think if you need to ask on here you should at the very least call your advise nurse. We are a bunch of strangers who know nothing about your medical history and lifestyle. We can give you some ideas about what it could be but at the end of the day it's just ideas.
  • DeeDeeMee
    DeeDeeMee Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    On second thoughts I'm going to revise my advice. Chest pain and tingly fingers, you should go to hospital. Don't worry about 'wasting their time' or anything silly like that, all the doctors and nurses I know would rather have their time 'wasted' with a minor issue than have you drop dead or seriously injured.

If you're still worried about 'wasting their time' think about it like this: it's much easier and quicker to check you over now than it is to spend hours resuscitating you and treating you for a serious complication later. It's much easier on everyone, including you. Go to hospital.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely see a doctor. I had similar symptoms that eventually progressed into worse symptoms which eventually resulted in diagnosis of a rare brain disorder. Not saying that's what you have, but there's no good reason to leave the doctor out of this one.
  • unapologeticallyemma
    Options
    i had similar things brought on by a drop in blood pressure after exercise

definitely get it checked because it could be something more serious
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    If you have to ask?...probably....