The "dancer body"

Options
I am 18 years old and I am a dancer. Soon I plan to make the big move to L.A. but on my current course with my weight my dream seems to be slipping. I workout almost everyday of the week and during the summer I spent 7 weeks dancing 5 days a week at least 4 and a half hours up to 11 hours a day. Now I am on break and have been taking classes here and there for the past 3 weeks. On days I don't take class I go running and do a lot of xhit stuff as well as my own weight lifting. The problem isn't my workouts it is my eating habits. I eat a healthy base with plenty of fruits veggies and nuts and fish for protein but it is the sugary things that slip me up. Sometimes I will catch myself about to slip up because there is a leftover cookie in the kitchen so I will just throw it out to avoid temptation. Today for example I ate 4 I repeat 4 pumpkin chocolate chip cookies throughout the day and regretted it every time. I am 5'3" and weigh 122. My body fat percentage is 15.5%. I know I am not fat but I definitely know that this is not the healthiest I could be. My mother is 5'4" and only weighs 107 and she looks great. I also have an issue with portions for snacks and often overeat way way way beyond the recommended serving. My questions are how to avoid temptation, any tricks anyone has on how to avoid boredom eating. I don't want a diet or anything I just want to know what a normal healthy human being would do. Oh and please don't leave any harsh comments because I am already harsh enough on myself. All this is is me trying to get control of my body and to lead a healthy lifestyle not obsessing over weight.

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Don't try and avoid junk food. Just try and have more healthy food.

Go ahead, buy that bag of chips. But also but that bag of baby carrots. Eat that first, before the chips.
  • killervogel5
    killervogel5 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Any time you see a snack and want it? Drink water. Keep a large glass in the kitchen and fill it every time you think you want a snack. The colder the better. Stay full :)
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    ...You're seriously complaining about being 15.5% body fat? The "athletic" range for women is 14-19%.

If it truly is just about self control... It's just gonna take self control. I personally find that it's easier to go cold turkey than to try to moderate intake of foods (I also have a sweet tooth).
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I am 18 years old and I am a dancer. Soon I plan to make the big move to L.A. but on my current course with my weight my dream seems to be slipping. I workout almost everyday of the week and during the summer I spent 7 weeks dancing 5 days a week at least 4 and a half hours up to 11 hours a day. Now I am on break and have been taking classes here and there for the past 3 weeks. On days I don't take class I go running and do a lot of xhit stuff as well as my own weight lifting. The problem isn't my workouts it is my eating habits. I eat a healthy base with plenty of fruits veggies and nuts and fish for protein but it is the sugary things that slip me up. Sometimes I will catch myself about to slip up because there is a leftover cookie in the kitchen so I will just throw it out to avoid temptation. Today for example I ate 4 I repeat 4 pumpkin chocolate chip cookies throughout the day and regretted it every time. I am 5'3" and weigh 122. My body fat percentage is 15.5%. I know I am not fat but I definitely know that this is not the healthiest I could be. My mother is 5'4" and only weighs 107 and she looks great. I also have an issue with portions for snacks and often overeat way way way beyond the recommended serving. My questions are how to avoid temptation, any tricks anyone has on how to avoid boredom eating. I don't want a diet or anything I just want to know what a normal healthy human being would do. Oh and please don't leave any harsh comments because I am already harsh enough on myself. All this is is me trying to get control of my body and to lead a healthy lifestyle not obsessing over weight.

As a person who was also a dancer, what a 'normal healthy human' and a dancer would do are generally not the same.
    You are in a healthy weight/body fat range and need not compare yourself with your mother - you are not her!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Professional dancers become anorexic and take drugs and do all manner of unsafe things to keep every ounce of fat off their bodies.

I mention this so that you'll keep it in the back of your head and remember it if you're tempted to do unhealthy things.

Make sure you visit you doctor at least once a year for a physical.

Take care, :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    You're already working extremely hard, physically, there's just nothing left to do but to find a way to stay away from the (I use the term loosely) "junk".

I don't envy your challenge. At that level of dancing, there are some pretty rigorous body composition expectations/requirements. A classic way of making it easier is to mostly socialize with others who have similar tight restrictions - make peer pressure work for you, rather than against you.

Good luck! :drinker:
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Pre- apportioned snacks. You want a cookie? Buy them individually from a bakery and not in large packages. Same for cake. Want peanut butter? Use individual packs.

If you feel the need to stock up, hide them in the cupboard above your fridge. Every time you reach for it you will have to make a conscious decision.

Are those the type of tricks you're looking for, or did you have something else in mind?
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I'm a normal healthy human being, and I would have eaten those 4 cookies without a shred of guilt. Your height, weight, and BF% sound fine, and I'm guessing that you probably have a heck of a lot more muscle than your mother, some comparing your weight to hers is unrealistic.

If you are concerned about your eating habits, consult a doctor or nutritionist. Chances are that a simple shift in your macros, or better meal planning around your dance schedule, could reduce the urges to snack. I find that when I am low on carbs, I tend to snack more, and since you are doing a lot of activity and don't have much body fat to pull energy from, you need to keep your body fueled.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    misty copeland

ac73a6ef9c32b5a3a8955fbae14dfe0305f6de00.jpg

misty-copeland1.jpg?w=420

dont worry about having a dancer's body just be a good dancer. you can't change your genetic code
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    My DD dances at a studio where the girls do competitive dance (ballet, contemp, hip hop, jazz) and some of the girls are obviously under eating. There is still an issue with how dancers seem to feel that they need to be stick thin to look like a good dancer.

You're in an athletic range for body fat. Your weight will invariably be higher than your mother's due to muscles you use in dance and the WATER RETENTION needed for muscle repair.

Eating cookies isn't bad. Overeating is. And it doesn't sound like you're overeating.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    To actually try to answer the question you asked:

My questions are how to avoid temptation, any tricks anyone has on how to avoid boredom eating. I don't want a diet or anything I just want to know what a normal healthy human being would do

Don't try to cut out junk treats entirely. You can't keep it up forever, and eventually you will give in and feel guilty, which can lead to feelings of failure, and giving up entirely (and needlessly).

Instead, enjoy those treats in moderation so you get your "fix." Also, the advice above about water is really good! Lots of times thirst is mistaken for hunger. Good luck in LA!
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I was a dancer too for most of my life and also did kempo and kick line (think the Rockettes) in high school, so I had about the same level of activity. I also ate the way you do (disregarding portion sizes) and stayed slim. The point I'm making is that for such an incredibly high amount of energy you exert, you can afford to have junk food if you feel like having it. Your body needs all the fuel it can get.

Tbh, I think this is the best time to just enjoy being able to disregard portion sizes and eat to your heart's desire. You're probably burning off half of it. You're gonna wish you could still eat this way when you're older and way less active!
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    re "I am not fat but I definitely know that this is not the healthiest I could be"; Excellent. Then keep doing what you are doing, tweak what might need tweaking (eg, eating too much sugar) and do the very best that you can do to stay active, get good sleep and eat well to feed your body in order to sustain your energy and fitness. Any tricks to avoid temptation completely? None that I know of.

And don't worry about what your mother weighs. This isn't a mother-daughter weight-loss competition.

PS I might be the Queen of Boredom Eating. Or is it the Queen of Anxiety Eating? One or the other...
  • norhavic
    Options
    well first good luck following you dreams and second there is the step you should folow well my own oppinion:
    -eat healty breakfast when i said eat breakfast you must eat it it is so important ,it does help to lose wieght
    -drink water
    -do not eat wieght bread it is the worst thing to put wieight . and pasta ..
    -sport
    -salamon for lunch
    - Do a juice cleanse
    - Try the fasting diet
    -most important thing never forgot to Count your daily calories
  • mmd575
    mmd575 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Love Misty Copeland! She is a healthy role model, she doesn't have the conventional super skinny body.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    well first good luck following you dreams and second there is the step you should folow well my own oppinion:
    -eat healty breakfast when i said eat breakfast you must eat it it is so important ,it does help to lose wieght
    -drink water
    -sport
    -salamon for lunch
    - Do a juice cleanse
    - Try the fasting diet

What is wrong with white bread and pasta? Granted I am allergic to wheat, therefore eat substitutes for them, but if they fit in your calorie range, why are they bad?

"Juice cleanses" are just a fad and not needed at all.

Telling a dancer who already seems to have not such a great relationship with food, or any one for that matter, to fast, is dangerous.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    -drink water
    -sport
    -salamon for lunch
    - Do a juice cleanse
    - Try the fasting diet
    Except for the last line and drinking water, there rest is pretty much broscience.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • astroophys
    astroophys Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    You're already working extremely hard, physically, there's just nothing left to do but to find a way to stay away from the (I use the term loosely) "junk".

I don't envy your challenge. At that level of dancing, there are some pretty rigorous body composition expectations/requirements. A classic way of making it easier is to mostly socialize with others who have similar tight restrictions - make peer pressure work for you, rather than against you.

Good luck! :drinker:

This is fantastic advice. +1 on socializing with others who have similar restrictions and goals. (But, keep it healthy!)