Too Much Cardio?

Options
Ok so as I'm nearing my goal weight I have started incorporating weight training (light) into my weekly routine, just started last week.
My usual before this new routine was to run 5km daily which spans 35mins, some crunches and pushups.
Heres what my routine is weekly: run 5km daily along with crunches and pushups, and follow a ABA/BAB (upper body/lower body and core) rotation for my strength training meaning Mon/Wed/Fri are my strength training days and off Tue/Thurs/Sat/Sun. My question is on those days off I want to add in addition to my 5k run and crunches and pushups , 2-3 km walking, and some stationary bike work. Time frame would be maybe 1-1.5 hours. So more of a cross training session on those days off from strength training. Currently I don't feel sore after running daily or sore the day after the strength routines. Any comments on this is appreciated 8)

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Soreness isn't an indicator of a successful workout. You'll get DOMS/soreness when you first start off doing new things or quite possibly when you push yourself harder to increase weight or speed. but if you don't, it doesn't mean it wasn't effective.

And is there a reason you are running so often? What are you goals?
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I cross train the days when I don't run. It isn't tied at all to my strength workouts. I run 3 days a week, do other cardio 3 days a week (swim, bike, mix of gym cardio equipment), and take 1 rest day. I strength train 3x a week (plus whatever homework my trainer gives me over the weekend) and take a Pilates class every other Tuesday which gives a great core workout.
  • FireStorm1972
    FireStorm1972 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    ya I had DOMs when I incorporated HIIT into my daily runs and decided to cut back on HIIT for now. My goal from the start was to loose weight and improve my cardio which has happened. Once my goal weight is reach I hope to cut back on running a bit , but breaking the daily routine may be hard 8)
  • hulkweazel
    hulkweazel Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to cut back on running? What do you mean by "too much cardio"? What do you hope to get from walking/bike that running doesn't give you? Why not just up your running mileage instead? And by up your mileage I don't mean HIIT, I mean steady pace until your endurance is increased.
  • FireStorm1972
    Options
    Why do you want to cut back on running? What do you mean by "too much cardio"? What do you hope to get from walking/bike that running doesn't give you? Why not just up your running mileage instead? And by up your mileage I don't mean HIIT, I mean steady pace until your endurance is increased.
    Currently I had no plan to cut back on running. Still a 5km (7days a week ) but on "off" strength days I want to add cross training to my 5k. So strength 3 days/week, run 5k 7days/week , add in some cycling and a casual walk besides the 5k on those 4 days away from strength. I was running 10k once a week before the new routine, which was ok. And was running 6-7k on some days, but with the addition to strength I didn't want to push running to much as I thought it might hamper my strength program. I guess my question is, is too much cardio work as in 7 days too much. I've read cardio working the same muscle group can actually hamper you and for the reason for cross training on those specified days.

Note:
    My strength training is not to "bulk" up a lot and just get back some upper body muscle I lost and to tone.
  • hulkweazel
    hulkweazel Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Currently I had no plan to cut back on running. Still a 5km (7days a week ) but on "off" strength days I want to add cross training to my 5k. So strength 3 days/week, run 5k 7days/week , add in some cycling and a casual walk besides the 5k on those 4 days away from strength. I was running 10k once a week before the new routine, which was ok. And was running 6-7k on some days, but with the addition to strength I didn't want to push running to much as I thought it might hamper my strength program. I guess my question is, is too much cardio work as in 7 days too much. I've read cardio working the same muscle group can actually hamper you and for the reason for cross training on those specified days.

Note:
    My strength training is not to "bulk" up a lot and just get back some upper body muscle I lost and to tone.
    Ah, I misread your original post, thought you said you ran 3 times a week.

I can't really give you a workout plan, but here's some pointers:

- Nothing inherently wrong with running every day. However, it can cause extra strain to your body if you aren't used to it, which is why many people take 1-2 days off and cross train. This is what I'd recommend doing for the vast majority of non-competitive runners. I wouldn't do walking though since it works similarly to running. Bike is fine, also the elliptical is good.
    - Running consecutive days won't hinder you as long as you aren't working them the same way on those days (ie. speed workouts both days, long runs both days, hills, etc). Vary it so that you have recovery days in between harder days.
    - Running at that distance will have a minimal if any effect on your strength. I have long runs of up to about 10-12 miles (20km) and it doesn't really hurt my strength.
    - Consider weight training. I know you said you don't want to bulk, but you won't really get big from lifting weights unless you want to and it could help you reach your goals faster. Nothing wrong with pushups/situps (I do them every day) but there's a limit to how much they can help compared to weight training.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest lifting heavier weights. You aren't going to get bulky. Toning isn't a thing, really. You either mean you want to lose fat to see the muscles or you want to build your muscles so they get bigger. You can't "tone" them or change their shape. Getting more definition in your muscles entails simply losing the fat that's covering them. So, if you're going to lift, do it to gain muscle or at least to prevent more loss.

I used to run exclusively. A few months back I realized that while I was burning calories, I was also losing muscle. So I cut back to running every other day, lifting heavy two-three days per week and long walks along with some assorted body weight strength (push ups, etc.) on the other days. I'm a huge believer in at least one day of rest to let my body recover and, in my mind, walking is "rest". By the way, the day after your legs workout, if you're doing it right, running is going to be tough.. personal experience. I don't run the day after legs. :)
  • FireStorm1972
    Options

Note:
    Ah, I misread your original post, thought you said you ran 3 times a week.

I can't really give you a workout plan, but here's some pointers:

- Nothing inherently wrong with running every day. However, it can cause extra strain to your body if you aren't used to it, which is why many people take 1-2 days off and cross train. This is what I'd recommend doing for the vast majority of non-competitive runners. I wouldn't do walking though since it works similarly to running. Bike is fine, also the elliptical is good.
    - Running consecutive days won't hinder you as long as you aren't working them the same way on those days (ie. speed workouts both days, long runs both days, hills, etc). Vary it so that you have recovery days in between harder days.
    - Running at that distance will have a minimal if any effect on your strength. I have long runs of up to about 10-12 miles (20km) and it doesn't really hurt my strength.
    - Consider weight training. I know you said you don't want to bulk, but you won't really get big from lifting weights unless you want to and it could help you reach your goals faster. Nothing wrong with pushups/situps (I do them every day) but there's a limit to how much they can help compared to weight training.

I just started weight training. ABA/BAB routine 3 times a week upper body then lower body with core with my home gym. thanx for the info. I will stick to running and bump the mileage a bit and throw the bike in there for variety.
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Options
    Think your fine I love cardio and strength too
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I think you're overthinking it. Figure out what you want to do, and train for it.

If you want to be a runner, train as a runner.

If you want to have some semblance of strength, train for it. You won't suddenly get bulky. Now if you're a dude, muscle will grow at a greater rate than women, but depending on how you train, you can maximize strength or hypertrophy. It's on you to figure out what you want and how you do it.

Essentially though, you need to pick a goal and gofer it.