Rowers: H20 and Machine

Options
Hi there,

I am addicted to rowing. I did a tiny amount in college on water just with a friend, not competitively. But, I loved it. She had a machine too in our apartment and I did that thing relentlessly. I could just go and go and go- back then I also exercised racehorses and it just synched in with the whole deal. So, I was in tip-top shape.

Well, I hadn't done rowing in almost 20 years. No one at our gym was ever using it. Figuring that it was a big part of my life when I was my fittest, I sat back down a few weeks ago and remembered instantly how I loved it.

But, I know nothing. I've read up a few articles on good workouts, split times and pace to max a workout. Right now I'm doing 5500m in 30 minutes. I've got the flywheel at 7 and I do a just under 3:00 500m split for 2 minutes then I do a 2:30 split for 2-3 minutes and back and forth. My strokes range from 25-20spm.

Anyone have experience? Point me in a direction? Just say 'hi' and support each other on rowing goals. :-)

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    my trainer just recently introduced me to sprints on the rower.

the basic goal for me is to get 500m split to under 2.5 minutes while reducing my stroke count to under 25. this basically means that i need to pull with more power than i'd normally do and each stroke since get me 10m. i'm still working on it . i usually keep the flywheel at 10
  • Sambo232
    Sambo232 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    make sure your technique is perfect before doing higher rating stuff. Your stroke rate is quite high for what is quite slow rowing - you might find it easier, less injury inducing and more efficient to row at 18-20 for the time being. I would also bring your flywheel down to about 5 (or drag factor 140) as this is the same as what it is on water in an eight. You will find it a bit easier to catch at the speed you are rowing at this setting, meaning your technique will be better and you'll gain more benefit
  • Equus3nMom
    Equus3nMom Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks all.

My technique is really good. I had someone come up to me at the gym the other day and comment on it. What I'm going for is cardio right now. I was running, but I was jogging a horse down trail a couple weeks ago and hyperextended it when my leg slid out on some loose rock. The rower doesn't aggravate it at all, but still gets me a good cardio burn.

Physics speaking, you could essentially do the same split time with different stroke rates--Higher stroke rate would mean more cardio, lower more strength is how I was thinking of it. But, I'll watch out for injury. Also, I'm 5' nothing, so I'm going to have a slightly higher rate anyhow.

I should clarify, the high stroke rate is on intervals. The total "slow" row time is not a product of that high a sustained stroke rate. Just to get my heart rate going otherwise its stuck at about 110.

Not sure I understand why it would be "easier to catch" at a lower setting.... its never hard to catch..... I'm assuming you mean when I come back in on the prior stroke? Its right there to go again and keep a steady rhythm: inhale in exhale as I push. Its right on cue.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I've just started with the diet and exercise. 3 weeks.
    The rower will be my main form of cv as I like it much more than the others.
    Im on the same journey as you, although have more wight to lose.

Everything you need to know is also on the Concept2 site where they have dedicated forums to indoor rowers with all the advice you could need and offer a choice of 3 workouts for the day.

I like watching the dispaly and the feedback, but now I have started longer rows im finding it very very dull. Will start switching to intervals.Currently sorting music out.