Advice needed to break mental block

Options
So I have never been a fan of movement relating to one foot in front of the other, otherwise known as running/jogging. Before last fall, I would have just declared easily that I'm out of shape and my lack of any kind of fitness activity is why I can't run. Now, a year later I'm realizing my battle is less about fitness and more a mental block I struggle to break through. In the past 2 months this is what I have been able to accomplish - swimming 1.6 miles 3 nights a week after about 6 months of avoiding the water due to complications with a mole removal, resulting in completing the swimming leg of a sprint triathlon in 21 minutes. Then this weekend I biked 13 miles around my neighborhood after not being on a bike in over 10 years (during my college days). So I have the ability to mentally and physically push myself to sweat it out when it comes to anything other than jogging/running. I've tried the C25K app and I just wimp out from boredom/frustration/various other mental block excuses. I've completed 4 5k races at a turtle slow pace of 50 mins of races on average. Any suggestions to get to the point of just enjoying a jog and get out of my head? The reason I care is I'm itching to try a triathlon in full, not just as part of a relay team, and I don't want to be competent and efficient in everything but the run.

Replies

• hulkweazel
    hulkweazel Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Running, swimming, and biking use very different muscles. Running is also a weight-bearing exercise which can make it difficult if you have any extra pounds (Not saying you do, just stating a fact). Sounds like you are a strong swimmer/cyclist, so it is awkward for you to do poorly at running, even though everyone has to start somewhere - For example, I can run for miles, but I can barely swim across a pool.

Set small goals for yourself. Run, or run/walk a short distance, then slowly build that up. Have you tried the elliptical machine? It mimics running movements while minimizing the weight-bearing aspect of it, which could help you get used to running.
  • Vonikins
    Vonikins Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm only modestly overweight - 152lbs where my ideal is closer to 126, so I don't think my weight is as much of a factor. I'm not a great cyclist but I was able to push myself to at least keep going even on the modest hills around the neighborhood. I have used elipticals in the past and can cruise on it for 30-45 mins easily but it seems to never translate to foot-to-ground success. I also have a treadmill in the basement and in the winters I can force myself on there but my head keeps triggering my body to wimp out long before I would in the pool, or as I discovered today, on a bike. zero time in the pool to 1.6miles and only 2wks of prep for triathlon relay proved I know how to mentally push - I just wonder if there is something I'm missing in translating it to jogging. When I run my biggest issue is thinking I don't have enough breath. On a side note, I'm a trained vocalist and technique-wise know about breath support but all mental and physical training seems to evaporate when I head outside in an attempt to jog.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    When you were trying C25K were you following the directions to run slowly during the jogging portions? And by slowly, I mean "able to carry on a conversation" while running? At first, that's pretty slow and most of us start "running" by thinking we have to go all out during the run. You're going to increase your endurance by running slowly, speed will come later.

If I get what you're saying, boredom is part of the problem, right? Have you tried a fun C25K app like Zombies, Run! 5K? It's an app for your smartphone that uses your music between the story portions. It's a little different than C25K but has the same goal. It definitely keeps me interested. I know other people use books on tape or just plain music while they run.

ETA: I can't run on a treadmill without wanting to slit my own throat after the first 1/4 mile. If I had one at home I could use in front of the TV it might be different but in the gym there's little to keep me interested in it.
  • Vonikins
    Options
    When you were trying C25K were you following the directions to run slowly during the jogging portions? And by slowly, I mean "able to carry on a conversation" while running? At first, that's pretty slow and most of us start "running" by thinking we have to go all out during the run. You're going to increase your endurance by running slowly, speed will come later.

If I get what you're saying, boredom is part of the problem, right? Have you tried a fun C25K app like Zombies, Run! 5K? It's an app for your smartphone that uses your music between the story portions. It's a little different than C25K but has the same goal. It definitely keeps me interested. I know other people use books on tape or just plain music while they run.

ETA: I can't run on a treadmill without wanting to slit my own throat after the first 1/4 mile. If I had one at home I could use in front of the TV it might be different but in the gym there's little to keep me interested in it.

yeah I'm pretty slow on the treadmill for running - like maybe up to a 4.5 pace so I'm not attempting to be a sprinter out of the gate. To combat the boredom I usually cue up an episode on Hulu or Netflix to occupy my thought. Right now my work outs don't start until after 8pm so outside even in the summer is hit and miss and usually I resort to a machine - I just wonder if I need to just suck it up, and wait for the weekends to hit pavement and leave the treadmill behind. I'm wondering if my issues stem from the fact that 99% of my running history is coupled to a machine.
  • Vonikins
    Options
    bump
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    You just have to do it.

Get over it, and realize that at the start, some things are not fun.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

yeah I'm pretty slow on the treadmill for running - like maybe up to a 4.5 pace so I'm not attempting to be a sprinter out of the gate. To combat the boredom I usually cue up an episode on Hulu or Netflix to occupy my thought. Right now my work outs don't start until after 8pm so outside even in the summer is hit and miss and usually I resort to a machine - I just wonder if I need to just suck it up, and wait for the weekends to hit pavement and leave the treadmill behind. I'm wondering if my issues stem from the fact that 99% of my running history is coupled to a machine.
    If the only place I had to run was on a treadmill I wouldn't want to do it, either. Get outside as much as you can. I get up early to beat the heat and run before work. I can't run at night here as there's no lighting and I don't want to risk a turned ankle or worse.

I usually do two shorter runs on weekday mornings (evenings in the winter when the weather is much cooler than now) and then a longer run on the weekend. Perhaps you can try doing shorter runs on the treadmill indoors and save the longer, outdoor run for the weekends? Mix things up a bit and see if that helps.
  • All4Me2014xx
    All4Me2014xx Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    If they are excuses, then only you can find the ways to overcome those.

But...if you really don't enjoy any part of running or jogging, would it really be that bad to just accept it? Yeah, that means giving up on the triathalon dream. Would you be a failure if that happens?
  • betsastormborn
    Options
    Running outside will make a huge difference. I agree with mixing it up. For me running outside is adventurous. I have ran with no music, with music, and sometimes even a book on tape. You'll be amazed at all the cool things you'll notice around you while running that you might usually miss while driving or cycling. It can be exciting if you want it to! I personally can't handle being on a treadmill for more than a couple miles but outside I can go forever. I say give it a try!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I agree with the hit the pavement, and even more fun than that is hit the trails. Running on the treadmill helped me to learn to stay a consistant pace when I first started but once I got to where I was going for more than 2 miles its just too boring for me.

Some people find that music helps. I used to be one, but recently switched to quiet running and for some reason have a new appreciation for the thinking time that I didn't used to.

Zombies run is pretty cool, basically its an audio app that you play while you run. You are in a post zombie apocalypse world and are a runner for a town where you have to go on missions for supplies or other various reasons. You have a handler who is talking you through you mission and every once in a while you have to outrun a zombie hoard.

I have heard of people doing different mental games while they run, trying to spot certain things or counting objects.
  • MelAb8709
    MelAb8709 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    The only running I can do on a treadmill is intervals. Because it's so incredibly boring, no matter what music I'm listening to or what is on the TV. So if I'm stuck on a treadmill, I either do speed or hill intervals.

Be sure to always set the treadmill on a tiny incline, btw.

I find outdoor running is much more enjoyable. Especially if you've got a pretty park or lake to run around, or a quiet trail, taking in the fresh air ... it's a great way to clear your head. I never listen to music on an outdoor run, I just don't need it.

I agree with the advice to suck it up for 2 short sessions on the treadmill during the week and then on the weekend do one outside.
  • Vonikins
    Options
    thank you everyone for your input. I'm just going to have to find time to hit the pavement outdoors on the weekend and give it another go. I am just hoping to get up a little endurance and do a 5k at a comfortable, continuous jog. There are some decent trails I've started cycling on, hopefully I can get some time before the weather turns towards winter.