Weight & PCOS Battle

Options
Anyone else out there who needs to lose mayor amount of weight while dealing with PCOS? Does anyone else find it harder to lose weight while having having PCOS? Anyone have tips and advice to what I can do to lose the wight faster? I feel like I but my but off all week only too lose a pound or two. I've heard low cal or low sugar diets can be helpful; has anyone tried it?

Replies

• kimamw
    kimamw Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS in my early 20s. I have battled my weight for all of my life. I am turning 40 this year and am so tired of being overweight (by about 100 lbs I might add). My sister lost about 70lbs last year with the help of a MD who specializes in weight loss. I started to see him this year. He did blood work and I found out that I am pre-diabetic and have a condition known as insulin resistance. If you have ever researched PCOS, you will find that both obesity and insulin resistance are signs and symptoms of PCOS. My doctor told me that most women who have insulin resistance also have PCOS. He started me on Metformin and I have already lost 11.5 lbs in 2 weeks. You can check out this website for more information http://www.medicinenet.com/insulin_resistance/article.htm. Talk to your doctor. Your situation may not be the same as mine but it is worth a shot.

Good Luck!
  • Caper88
    Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Thanks and I tried Metformin but I was taken off it because my body was going to long with the side effects.
  • jensadzewicz
    jensadzewicz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Right around my wedding I found out why I was steadily gaining weight with no change in my diet, I too was diagnosed with PCOS. It almost seemed like knowing that had it made it harder to loose weight, after the wedding when I found out what to do, I started on a diet of low sugar and low complex carbs, I found out it was the hardest thing I ever had to do. It is true when they say people can have an addiction to sugar and carbs. I did all this without MFP. After a long journey of loosing 30+ lbs, I had gotten pregnant and had my beautiful boy, I put almost a lot of that weight right back on. I just recently started MFP, I know this may sound strange but I started in late November and I made sure that I started it right around all the holidays to prove to myself that I could do this!!! But Until yesterday, almost 3 months later I completely forgot that I had PCOS all together, I am down 18lbs!! Now less than what I was before pregnancy, some times I think that it is our own minds that hold us back from doing things that can be done. PCOS is just words to me, I don't let it define who or what I can be!!

Ive found that I really like fresh fruits and vegetables, I completely stopped drinking soda, (I would drink coke like it was the air i needed to breath!) All I drink now is water, and one small cup of coffee in the a.m. Lots of fresh salads, lots of lean protein, Ive also stayed away from red meats, not only did the grease get me but after I would eat a steak the next day I could feel it sitting in my intestines, (maybe in my head...). Almonds is another good snack!! And of course my George Foreman grill comes in handy alot!!

But also remember that you can still eat the things you love, just in moderation!! Some people need to think of this as a life style change not a diet, some times that word (diet) can hold us back to, it has a negative effect.

Another goal of mine, some days when I feel like I'm gonna fail and I cant do this, I kick my own A** in a good cardio work out, afterwards I'm tired and I feel good, like I just proved myself wrong, that I can do this!!! Ive really grown to love Billy Blanks and his TAEBO workouts especially the older cardio videos, lets just say we have a love / hate relationship, but he always pushes you one more when you think you are gonna fall on the floor. Sorry if this is so long, but for the first couple of yrs of battling my pcos, it was discouraging so I know how you are feeling!! Vitex is also a good supplement to take, its a natural herb.

Like I said before now you know that you have it, now is the time to forget about it and go on about your business of making a great life style change!! :flowerforyou: :smile:
    Jen
  • Caper88
    Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice jensadzewicz