Protein Powder in Coffee?

Options
AndyBee
AndyBee Posts: 171 Member
I can't stand the powder in water alone, but I font want the extra calories from a glass of milk every time. In the morning I drink a cup of coffee, and thought it might be a good sub for cream and sugar. Has anyone tried this? Am I insane?

Replies

• emily007
    emily007 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    yuck,
    sorry but the idea of clumpy protien powder in hot coffee?
    I say get caffine tablets if its the hit your after, and have the shake seperate. OR have coffee instead of the shake. and use milk not cream!!!
    and if its good quality well made coffee you wont need the sugar either :)
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    I do 4 oz. water and 4 oz. skim milk. 60 calories is not that much. I also use the drink as an opportunity to add 1/2 tbsp. ground flax seed which is a good source of EFAs omega-3 and -6.

To avoid the clumpiness use a mini hand mixer.... 5 seconds of mixing and you rinse it w/ water.

I'm not sure whether it is good to take caffeine and protein in the same drink. No info on that, just MHO.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Try it and see if you like it. I add it to oatmeal instead of artificial sweeteners or sugar and I think it's great. Some people may think it's weird, but then again, I like it so I keep eating it. :flowerforyou:
  • halejr23
    halejr23 Posts: 294
    Options
    I do 1 scoop of chocolate whey protein in my coffee every morning before I work out. I like it. I reminds me a little of putting hot chocolate in coffee.
  • ckoerwer
    ckoerwer Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried that. But, I really like the protein powder in a smoothie: 1 scoop powder, 3/4 cup water and 3/4 cup frozen fruit. You get hardly any additional calories and mixing it in the blender it tastes like a fruity milkshake! Yum!
  • chrysnel
    Options
    I love my Protein Coffee in the morning! I put about 1/2 oz of almond milk (you could use skim, or whatever) and 1/2 oz of hot coffee in my mug, add a scoop of protein powder and whisk like crazy (I have a nice small whisk that is perfect for this) until the powder is dissolved (the milk cools down the coffee a bit so it doesn't curdle the protein powder). Then I fill up the cup with coffee and keep whisking until it is all mixed. Turns out perfect every time and tastes like a yummy mocha! :)
  • AndyBee
    AndyBee Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Todat I tried 4oz of skim milk with 8oz of coffee with 1 scoop vanilla powder. Not bad, but not very strong in coffee flavor. Tomorrow I'll try the 1 oz skim milk and coffee ratio. Thanks everyone!
  • marianmaj
    marianmaj Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    yes sometimes i use a little of my leftover coffee in my protein drink but i use water and a cup of vanilla almond milk which has 40 calories per cup (LOW!) try it...most chains like stop and shop and shaws carry it ( refrig section dairy)next to the soy milk now.
  • marianmaj
    marianmaj Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    yes sometimes i use a little of my leftover coffee in my protein drink but i use water and a cup of vanilla almond milk which has 40 calories per cup (LOW!) try it...most chains like stop and shop and shaws carry it ( refrig section dairy)next to the soy milk now.
  • vero_1
    vero_1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I do 1 scoop of chocolate whey protein in my coffee every morning before I work out. I like it. I reminds me a little of putting hot chocolate in coffee.
    sounds good! Gonna have to try it tomorrow morning.