Beginner Gains? How Heavy is Heavy?

Options
Are beginner gains a real thing that happens? Because I'm a gal and I've just started lifting 3-4x a week with a barbell. It's been about 2 weeks since I started, and I have NEVER lifted anything in my life before! It would be nice to have realistic expectations as to when I will start seeing results. I have been eating at a slight deficit, and am doing minimal cardio, but haven't been checking the scale at all, just want to look better and fit my clothes better too. (I'm 5'3, 118lb by the way!) I had some muscle to begin with, so I guess I can't be considered completely skinny-fat, but my body fat percentage is just a little high for my liking. I want to be less jiggly haha! Does anyone have any personal experience or advice to offer? What else could I be doing? My main focus is my upper arms, since I'm very self conscious about them being too big from the fat/muscle.

Oh, and, how heavy is "heavy"? So far I've just got a bar and a 10lb plate on each side. Sometimes I don't even use the plates for certain exercises.People always tell me to lift heavy, but 20 ish pounds doesn't seem like a lot.

Thank you!

Replies

• Wanderer1234
    Options
    To find out how much weight you need to put on your barbells. You need to choose a weight you can lift 16 times but make sure it's challenging your body. How much weight will vary for different exercises for different parts of the body. If you are a beginner, begin with 1 set of weight and work your way up to 2-3 sets. After you have built a foundation, for example, after 6-8 weeks, add more weight so that you can only do 8-12 reps. Continue to progress by adding a rep each week until you reach 16, increase the weight and drop back to 8-12 and continue to repeat.
  • Fit_Jesus
    Options
    You look perfectly fine as you are! You are not skinny fat at all! Just wanted you to know that first off...

When it comes to weightlifting first find a workout program you want to follow and then youtube each exercise on how to properly do them and also read how to do them and then practice in a mirror to match the form in the videos. Make a mental checklist on the key points you read on how to do the exercises.

Have a notepad to keep track of the weights you used and how many sets and reps you did. Every workout try and increase either the weight, sets, or reps done since last workout. Have patience, stay consistent, and keep learning!
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Heavy is a relative term. If it is heavy to you, then it's heavy. And it's less about the number and more about a percentage of what you are capable of. And if you are just starting, you'll be gaining strength fairly fast. There is quite a bit of freedom in rep ranges, but it's pretty safe to say that once you're getting about 10+ reps with a weight, you might as well put a little more on the bar for next time. I personally like going for somewhere in the 6-8 range. Your goals might dictate what kind of rep ranges you'll want.

I'd suggest looking into something like Stronglifts or Starting Strength that focuses on compound movements. You mentioned focusing on upper arms and I would steer you away from that and instead encourage you to be working your entire body. Even if you are doing only a few compound lifts, you'll be working a great deal of your body.

For lowering your body fat percentage, a slight deficit and lifting heavy is a good plan. Getting plenty of protein will also help you keep muscle.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I'd say I'm a beginner.

Been lifting consistently since May.

I did a 425# deadlift today. I'd say that's heavy.
    My squats are at 250#.
    My bench press is at 175#
  • Fit_Jesus
    Options
    I'd say I'm a beginner.

My squats are at 250#.

425 for deadlift is pretty damn good for a beginner! I'm at 415 and I've been deadlifting for a few years!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    OP it doesnt matter where you start just that you consistently progress
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    As heavy as you can manage with good form for 8-12 reps.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I'd say I'm a beginner.

My squats are at 250#.

425 for deadlift is pretty damn good for a beginner! I'm at 415 and I've been deadlifting for a few years!

Almost pissed myself in happiness from it. Chalked, no belt or wraps. My shoulders and glutes are REALLY feeling it this morning