How do I make my smoothies more filling?

Options
Hiya,

After some ideas/ advice regarding making a breakfast smoothie that's actually filling? Yogurt in smoothies doesn't fill me up for long enough, has anyone got other ideas?

Around the 250-300 cals mark would be great but if it keeps me going till lunchtime, 400 would also be fine.

I usually eat breakfast at 8.30 then lunch around 12.30 then dinner around 6.30 often with a snack in their somewhere.

Thanks!

Replies

• Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal, chia seeds, or something else with lots of fibre :)
  • wendopia
    Options
    Throw some raw unsalted cashews in there, or almonds! :) Healthy fats, nice and filling.
  • oats , chia seeds, protein powder, cottage cheese, curly kale, peanut butter...maybe not all at once but give them a go
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    if you dont find smoothies particularly filling, have you tried something else for breakfast? An omelette with peppers and onions, etc instead?
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Ground flax seed, protein powder? I always stay satiated longer on veggies than fruit. But I have to have my oatmeal in the morning or I'm grazing all day
  • MyRummyHens
    MyRummyHens Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I also fill up better on veggies.

Try a table spoon of chia seeds, a scoop of vanilla protein powder and a handful of spinach in with a banana and then berries/mango/pineapple.
  • amyfullbrook
    amyfullbrook Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I also put in things like almonds, cashews, oats, flax seed, chia...the list goes on! Get some nuts, oats or powders in there which really makes them feeling. Also, spinach makes them feeling aswell as bananas.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    What others said but also... what kind of yogurt do you use? I like to use full fat. I use the organic European style one from Trader Joe's. So maybe full fat yogurt or Greek style will be more filling.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Oats, chia seeds, flaxseed, or liquid egg whites works for me.
  • candyflosspot
    candyflosspot Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I tend to use oatmeal & protein powder!
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    add vegan protein powder-100 calories per scoop. Chia, flax, quinoa, coconut oil & kale will help fill you up more. If I have kale with these other ingredients along with frozen fruit, it's very filling for me.
  • angelamb1970
    angelamb1970 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    PB2 and chia seeds. bout a teaspoon of each. If you let the chia seeds swell in whatever liquid you are using for the smoothie overnight in the fridge, it turns into a luscious custard like texture once blended. Then in the morning toss in fruit, ice, whatever to finish it up and it's like a milkshake.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    With a side of bacon and eggs....

Or put in a banana
    Peanut butter
    oats
    Use whole milk

My regular is
    1 cup whole milk
    Leanfit chocolate whey protein powder
    95-110g banana
    30g tbsp peanut butter
    30g spinach
    sits just shy of 600 calories - keeps me full from 7am to noon
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I add strawberry protein powder.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal, chia seeds, protein powder (one of them, not all 3!) Fiber and protein will fill you up and make you feel full longer.
  • HonestlyA
    HonestlyA Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I add flax meal. Easy breakfast smoothie (makes 2 servings): 1C milk, 1/2 C yogurt, 1 C fruit (I like frozen), 2T flax meal, 4 ice cubes. Fills me up for hours :)
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    You could also look into adding egg or protein powder. Maybe. Oh and peanut butter! Imagine a banana peanut butter smoothy... mmm.... maybe just a touch of chocolate sauce...
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Add fiber powder, chia seeds, flax or a sweet potato....
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal, chia seeds, protein powder (one of them, not all 3!) Fiber and protein will fill you up and make you feel full longer.

Or she Could add all three if constipated..lol:laugh:
  • Miranda_mfp
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the responses! I have some vanilla & raspberry protein powder which I'll start adding and also chia seeds but probably not at the same time.

I have made a banna & pb smoothie and that was lovely but I have to stay away from pb otherwise I eat the whole jar... usually with just a spoon!

Today I have banana, raspberry & v. & r. protein powder... it's lovely!