Super new! Would love some advice! :)

Options
Hey everyone!

I've been thinking about losing weight for quite some time now- I am 170cm or 5"6 (I believe) and weight 68kg - not really overweight on the bmi charts, but that weight is practically all fat! My goal is maybe 57-60kg, but I'm not hugely fussed, as I would just really like to get rid of a substantial amount of fat, and put on some lean muscle.

I started following a plan of eating 1200 calories per day, which usually comes from, say, an egg with two toast pieces for breakfast, some carrots as a snack, a bowl of rice, chicken and a lot of veggies for lunch, some kind of fruit when i get home from work, then rice, broccoli, and either turkey or lean beef for dinner.
My exercise is 5 days a week walking 7km to work, and then either going up the local mountain (which takes about 35 minutes if you quickly climb the stairs and run down) or walking the 7km home. This usually burns anywhere between 700-800 calories. I've been doing this for three weeks now, and have lost 3.4kg. This brings me great joy because it's nearly exactly how I planned - 1kg per week.

I've been lurking the mfp forums for some time now and decided it was time I got my own account!

Recently though, a friend told me that what I was doing was very unhealthy, and that I was starving myself of nutrients by doing this - I was shocked, as I really thought i was being super healthy, but apparently I'm not? I just wanted to double check with people who really know what they're doing and would love some advice, I have a completely open mind and would just really like to do what's best for my health and lose weight at the same time! :)

Also, if this is unhealthy for me, would someone mind out maybe giving me some good deficits etc..? Because mfp gave me 1200 calories as well, so I'm not sure on how many I would really need! I'm pretty sedentary other than those two exercises, sometimes I'll get up, maybe go to a zumba class during my break or walk down to get a coffee, but that's about it.

Thank you heaps for reading!

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Add four or five hundred calories to your 1200. You will still lose weight.
  • Thedutchesss
    Options
    Hi Kawacy!

I don't think with 1200 calories you are underfeeding yourself. I think it is a fair amount and not under the 1000-1200 the health authorities advice us to eat when trying to loose weight.
    Your friend prob means that with your outgoings yoru overall daily intake is a bit low, but then again 7km walk is in my honest opinion nowhere near 800 kcal. I used to do a 90 min session in the gym working myself to sweat running for this amount of kcal so walking for 35 min gets you nowhere near this. This is however hard to measure though. This is a good thing though in your case, cause otherwise you might experience some hunger.
    All I would say is that as long as you loose about half a kg a week, and you don't experience extreme hunger feelings and you don't see black spots or feel like you have no energy, I don't think you are overdoing it.

xx
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    1200 calories for your height/weight isn't appropriate for you, and even more so since you don't have much to lose. I'm guessing MFP gave you 1200 calories because you told it you want to lose 2 lbs/week and/or you're sedentary. 2 lbs/week with your weight loss goal is too aggressive. You should aim to lose no more than 1 lbs/week. Also, sedentary. You are clearly not sedentary. If you were sedentary you would be sitting/laying pretty much all day. You're not, so you're not sedentary. You should set it, to the very least, to lightly active.
  • kawacy
    Options
    @RodaRose really? that seems like a lot, but if it's necessary I'm willing! do you think it would still be around 1kg per week? or is that overkill?

@thedutchesss Hiya!
    Oh I see! Haha sorry, I meant both the 7km walks so to and from work was 800cal, around 400 cal each is what my tracker told me :)

but thank you so much for the advice! I feel fine in terms of energy, and I do get quite hungry, though when I do get a break and eat it satisfies me for at least 2 hours! I've always been a very hungry person though, and only recently gained a bunch of weight from this, so that's probably the case going on there.
    I've been losing at a rate of a whole kg per week, though that could be waterweight, so do you think that is ok?
  • kawacy
    Options
    @Ninkyou oh yes, I set it to lightly active at the start! I just mean when I'm not doing those few things, I am literally always on my butt! no even getting up to walk around, I stay in the same place for hours! Hmmm ok, do you maybe have a recommendation of how much I should be getting then? :)
    Also, in weightloss per week terms, though it's an aggressive goal I am managing to achieve it, so I'm not sure if this counts as healthy/manageable or not? but if it's not healthy then I will certainly slow it down a bit!
    thank you for your help! :)
  • olong
    olong Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Hey Kawacy.... now that you've joined MFP, drop in those numbers and see what comes up. You aren't interested in losing a lot of weight overall, so maybe a goal of losing 1 pound a week is a better fit. Walking more than 8.5 miles a day is great!!! I am working on maintaining and I ran last night about 4.4 miles in 50 minutes and my heart rate monitor calculated I burned 635K. Your estimate of 800K for 14km does not sound unreasonable. I also suspect, based on your original post, that you're resting on the weekends -- or at least not walking 14km back & forth to work.

Your friend might be concerned as MFP and members knowledgeable say that it is not healthy in the long run and might cause your body to go into fasting mode if you create a deficit greater than 500 calories on a daily basis. When you enter your calories, eat those exercise calories back.

Congratulations on your progress so far. You're doing great! With a smile on your face tell your caring, well-meaning friend Don't worry, Chicken Little, the sky is not falling!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    @Ninkyou oh yes, I set it to lightly active at the start! I just mean when I'm not doing those few things, I am literally always on my butt! no even getting up to walk around, I stay in the same place for hours! Hmmm ok, do you maybe have a recommendation of how much I should be getting then? :)
    Also, in weightloss per week terms, though it's an aggressive goal I am managing to achieve it, so I'm not sure if this counts as healthy/manageable or not? but if it's not healthy then I will certainly slow it down a bit!
    thank you for your help! :)

The problem with having an aggressive goal like that when you have little to lose, is the weight you're seeing drop isn't all fat, you're losing muscle too. You want to preserve as much muscle as possible. Having a more appropriate goal helps towards that, as well as making sure you get plenty of protein, exercise, etc. These things will also help your metabolism, therefor allowing you to eat more. For example, let's pretend at sedentary I can maintain my weight at 1700 calories (I'm short). If I bump up my activity level to lightly active, and I'm truly lightly active, I can maintain at 1900 calories. If I decide I'm going to go hiking everyday and make myself moderately active, I may be able to maintain at 2100 calories. These are just figurative numbers, mind you, it's different for everyone. My point is, you're not truly sedentary. You walk 7km everyday. You can count the zumba or whatever else as extra exercise, just when you log it, make sure you're accounting for at least half of those burnt calories and adding them back in. So if you burn 200 calories in Zumba, and your goal is 1500 calories, you eat 1700 calories and therefor NET your original goal of 1500 calories (1700-200=1500).

You could also try using the TDEE method. This method takes the math from subtracting/adding exercise out of the equation and gives you a straight number to eat everyday, based on your activity. I personally use this method, because it's easy. I like to use this calculator:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
    Put your details in and it will tell you your BMR (what your body requires if you were in, say, a coma), your maintenance (to maintain your current weight) and how much you should eat daily to lose weight. Most people start off with 20% reduction, which is the default setting on there. As you lose weight though, you'll want to decrease that to help prepare your body for maintenance, and to minimize muscle loss.

You should definitely bump up your calories though either way. 1200 is just not appropriate for your size and activity.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I generally agree with Roda.

First of all i don' think you should be trying to lose 1kg. 1kg per week is appropriate for someone who is very very overweight. But i can tell you that losing a half a kilo a week is also very easy and time will go fast.

The food you have chosen to eat seems pretty healthy. AT least you are eating lots of vegetables. Keep your food varied so that you don't get bored with it. And don't restrict your fats severely. Fat is useful in several ways. It makes food taste better and it help you feel satiated. While the body can make most of its own fat, essential fatty acids it can't. Tehse are omega 3 and omega 6. Most of us have no trouble getting omega 6 from our diets. Omega 3 is mainly found in oily fish like salmon and sardines.

People seem to always misunderstand how the mfp calculators work. So it came up with 1200 calories but then you are supposed to add the calories you burn through exercise on top of it.

I can't find my calculator so i can't run your numbers through it. You've also rigged it to be low by saying you want to lose 1kg per week. Its just too much as i already said. You will probably not be able to sustain your low weight if you get there too fast. Slow is better.

Weightloss is best achieved primarily through diet management rather than exercise. Do your exercise anyway if its part of your daily life, but don't keep doing more in order to lose more weight or speed it up. Just gradually reduce your calories as your weight goes down. So recalculate from time to time. And don't underestimate your activity.

You are not leading a sedentary life. I can't see your post at the moment so i can't see or remember what you said you were doing in that regard.

Basic foods you need in my view.
    5 vegetables of 75g per portion generally per day
    2 fruits about 150g per portion
    for calcium the easiest way is
    1 cup milk
    1 cup yoghurt , preferably full cream and unsweetened
    about 30g cheese
    protein…
    calculate your protein amount by multiplying 0.8kg by your weight in kilograms. eg. i weigh 63 kg and i should get 54g of quality protein. That does not mean 54g of meat. It means protein as calculated by mfp. Have fish about twice a week if possible.
    Keep your refined sugar intake to 6tsp or less per day from any source.
    After this cut your calories from both carbs and fats.
    Choose whole food carbs of refined carbs.
    And for fats, go for healthy fats like olive oil (cold pressed extra virgin), not too many nuts and seeds, avocado. Butter is ok but choose the others in preference when you can.

For alternative plant based proteins consider tofu, chickpeas, lentils and beans.

Some thing else you may wish to look into is the 5:2 fasting diet. Its not as hard as it sounds and one reason i'm particularly attracted to it is that i think it might be easier to maintain my goal weight when i get there through fasting.

Go to the fast diet website. read the FAQ. it will tell you the basics of what you have to do. There's a forum there too. I've been doing it about 4 weeks now. There are many people there who've been doing it for a year or more.

To lose weight following this protocol, on non-fast days you eat at your TDEE or less. I reduce mine calories by 50 but if your TDEE is higher, you can reduce it by more. ON any diet try to avoid unnecessary hunger by timing your meals right and by eating Low GI and maximum nutrition foods. i.e. more whole foods less refined and processed foods.