Options
2»

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Paleo is a posh version of atkins,

i find low carb diets work

cutting out processed foods isnt a bad idea either.

my only reason for not doing the paleo extent of the low carb diet is because its too expensive. also, snacks are extremely limited.

I think you've got that a little bit mixed up. Paleo is designed as a low carb diet.

Off shoots such as primal are most definitely low carb.

yeh i said paleo is a version of atkins which is also a low carb diet.

i agree its low carb

i just said it was posh and expensive with its grass fed meats etc

Sorry - my bad (grammar error).

Paleo is not designed as a low carb diet.

Off shoots such as primal are!

:smile:
  • tbrain1989
    tbrain1989 Posts: 280 Member
    Options

my only reason for not doing the paleo extent of the low carb diet is because its too expensive. also, snacks are extremely limited.

I think you've got that a little bit mixed up. Paleo is designed as a low carb diet.

i agree its low carb

ok now im with you

thought i was going mad,

ive always perceived it as a low carb diet,

im sure it recommends not eating any refined foods? or potatoes.

you would struggle to hit Macro of carbs with those conditions.

even an entire wheel barrow of veg is about 100 grams of carbs.

but anyway, its too darn expensive.

Source:

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/b/2012/04/09/paleo-eating-vs-low-carb-eating.htm
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

i agree its low carb

ok now im with you

thought i was going mad,

ive always perceived it as a low carb diet,

im sure it recommends not eating any refined foods? or potatoes.

you would struggle to hit Macro of carbs with those conditions.

even an entire wheel barrow of veg is about 100 grams of carbs.

but anyway, its too darn expensive.

Source:

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/b/2012/04/09/paleo-eating-vs-low-carb-eating.htm

That's true, I think some paleo (strict) diets this would apply to.

I eat primal which recommends all of the grass fed beef and stuff, but it's a bit more real world and explains that whilst those things are possibly ideal going for more affordable options are still more beneficial than eating junk food and the more highly processed foods.

Sweet potato - you would soon hit your cals with those babies. Fruit you could blow your days cals on not much fruit if you go for the right ones!

Still I am definitely in the low carb (well I haven't been this weekend) camp!
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    The underlying principle of the paleo diet has been proven wrong by scientists. There's a TED talk you can see on my group called 3FC Pals. The scientist giving the talks, discusses the bone analysis of paleo peoples. the bone analysis shows what foods people were eating in those days. She says "there were many paleo diets". Some were high meat and some high in vegetables. Many ate legumes. and so on.

Its a good video have a look.

Apart from that of course you can lose weight doing paleo. On the 3FC forum proper, there's a guy there's who rabidly evangelical about it - diamondgeog. He will tell you its save his life. He's lost a fair bit of weight and with it many ailments like back pain and sleep apnoea and so on. Of course when you lose weight all those symptoms resolve anyway for most people. He thinks its due to the particular diet. Whatever. But anyway he loves it. He loves the food. He has not given up dairy. Just the grains and refined and processed foods.

Bottom line, you can lose weight on any diet but you need to find one that matches your food preferences or make one up yourself. Except a processed food diet because that's bound to fail before too long.

Whatever diet you choose to follow try to increase your fibre intake.

There's a good show on you tube about it. called Catalyst - Gut Reaction. The wikipedia entry Gut Flora, covers a lot of the same ground in more detail so take a look at that afterwards. This show also shows the hadza tribe people who are hunter gatherers today and have always been so. they eat a lot of honey. the men mainly. There's an interesting role division of foods. men eat more meat and women more yams or tubers (note starchy vegetable).

Another interesting note, a lot of these hunter gatherers ate a lot of raw meat. Australian aborigines did that. The Hadza have oral history telling about it too.

Anyway paleo is far far far from being a hunter gatherers diet as the first video i refer you to will clarify. for all that i would say have a go. You will find it interesting.
  • BlakleyHaller
    BlakleyHaller Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I make a yummy almond banana muffin, I had tapioca tortilla roll-ups for lunch, I eat as much fresh fruit as I want, often with a little whipped coconut cream... There are tons of carbs involved in the Paleo diet. I LOVE the quote above "It's not low carb, it's low crap."

I've been Paleo for almost 2 years now and people are always amazed that I can still show up to Thanksgiving with sweet potato rolls and a pecan pie bar treat to share. It's actually just as important to monitor carbs and sweets while eating Paleo as it is while eating wheat and other grains because there are now SO many wonderful options available that we are tempted just as much as those on other diets.

Main difference: I don't feel terrible at the end of my Thanksgiving meal, even if I did have a dinner roll and dessert. ;)