Help eating out please

Hey guys

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this sort of thing but I am doing the dreaded going out for dinner tonight and whilst I can control the calories etc at home I am not great at knowing what is good and bad when eating out.

Would someone please mind looking at the menu for http://www.meatballandwinebar.com.au/ and suggest what is the best option for me. I won't be having wine so it will just be the food side of things I am struggling with. I am not a fussy eater either so happy to have anything.

Thanks all and again sorry if this is the wrong place :ohwell:

Replies

• MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    While eating out in a deficit, common sense will go a long way. Limit fried or breaded foods, creamy sauces, excessively fatty, or excessively sugary foods. If bread is offered, have some, but just a bit. Go for satiating foods. Lean meat, steamed or grilled vegetables, baked potatoes, are good options, but not the only.

However, there should room in your diet for treats, including wine and desserts, if you plan for it. Ultimately you'll have to decide what you can accommodate in your diet.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    It's just portion control. Obviously salads are the healthier choice, but you can have normal entries also. Just judge how big it is, and then go from there.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    i know its probably too late but i would pick

prosciutto di san daniele and the orange an fennel salad
  • Meat balls on something veg. done.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    This is not what I thought this thread would be about.

*disappointed*
  • fangedneko
    fangedneko Posts: 133 Member

*disappointed*

If it's any consolation, the menu is all about what your balls sit on.
  • Catz0377
    Catz0377 Posts: 9 Member

*disappointed*

Sorry what did you think it would be about?
  • Catz0377
    Not too late. Thank you for your help :smile:
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Skip the balls. If you do eat them, choose the tomato sauce and italian beans.
    As far as the cured meat -- prosciutto would be a good choice.
    Have some bread with the prosciutto with some moderation.
  • Catz0377

Thank you, I was thinking the tomato sauce and beans but wasn't really sure if there was a better option
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    It looks like a really nice place! Unfortunately my internet explorer is really old on this computer so I can only see the bottom half of the menu.

Like other people have said, avoid fried stuff, oily dressings etc. Common sense stuff. The meatballs will probably be quite fatty (but sound delicious).

Either pick something lean, or pick what you would realy want and make up for the meal over the week? I tend to work to a weekly goal not daily and then it allows me to enjoy ocassions such as this.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Many restaurants have web sites where you can look up the caloric content of the food, and some of them even include the macros. I tend to frequent the restaurants that provide this information.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member

for those prices... screw the moderation. eat it all and enjoy.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,866 Member
    Do enjoy. I normally fit in a really big cardio workout on days I am eating out to be able to afford to order what I want. I also tend to log an extra few teaspoons of butter or oil if a dish tastes suspiciously rich or greasy.
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    I either only eat at restaurants where I can see the nutritional value ahead of time so I can decide what I want to eat within my calorie range or I eat before I go and get water only when I'm there.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member

*disappointed*

Ignore me. I was being a creep :-P
  • When I go out I'll ask for things that aren't on the menu like a grilled chicken breast or cheese/bacon to be taken out of a salad, they shouldn't mind if they're any good ;)
  • Catz0377

*disappointed*

Ignore me. I was being a creep :-P

Ha it's ok, I completely got it last night when I thought about it :o)
  • Catz0377
    Thanks for all your help guys. I tried my hardest to choose something relatively healthy and went with the beans and tomato sauce combo but at the end of the day figured it was one night and I was to just enjoy my food. Extra execise for me this week :smile: