Is my scale broken??!!! ARGH!

Options
Very Very not happy...gained? 3 lbs?? is my scale broken? I've been under my calories every day and have been exercising like mad?? WHY!!!!?? :o(

Replies

• imgonnadoit123
    imgonnadoit123 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Congrats on losing weight so far! it's so so tough and frustrating sometimes too. I've found that i inadvertently miss logging some calories sometimes. Also I don't count all of my excersize calories. I leave a little wiggle room to make sure. Keep up what you're doing. It will pay off!
  • Tomhusker
    Tomhusker Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Check it again tomorrow. Daily weight fluctuation can make your weight yo-yo a bit.
  • spitfire1962
    spitfire1962 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Don't throw out your scale just yet, you may need to check a couple of things. How's your sodium and water intake? If you eat high sodium foods, your body will retain the water and you will weigh heavier. You need to drink at least 10% of your body weight in ounces of water, or at the very least the recommended 8- 8 oz glasses of water daily.
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't fret about it...

You might be gaining muscle (which weighs more than fat
    Also, weight results can fluctuate quite a bit depending upon the time of day.
    I like to weigh once a week in the AM.

Personally, I also had a point where I was really doing everything "right" and my weight was going up instead of down. Since I was tracking my body fat I knew that this was caused by an increase in muscle mass so I was very pleased.

One last thing -- make sure you are not way under your calories. You don't want your body to go into starvation mode. You'll drop weight but it wont be a good thing :)
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Also keep in mind that muscle weighs more than fat. If you're gaining muscle mass AND losing weight, it'll make the numbers on the scale off. Do you take measurements? I've found that to be reassuring when the scale lets me down.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I could have written this post this morning, lol! I weigh every Friday and Monday. I've had a really good weekend - ate correctly, exercised like I normally do and even took an extra aerobics class at the gym. Got on the scale and was up 2.6! Talk about frustration!!!!!

However, I know this too shall pass and if I throw in the towel, I'll gain 206 instead of 2.6. I'm going to watch my sodium, try to get a little more water in, and stay the course.

Good luck to you!
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Also keep in mind that muscle weighs more than fat. If you're gaining muscle mass AND losing weight, it'll make the numbers on the scale off. Do you take measurements? I've found that to be reassuring when the scale lets me down.

Totally agree--muscle plays a huge role in raising metabolism! If you've add a pound of muscle you are probably burning 5-15 more calories (per pound)!

The scales do not tell the whole story.
  • aeryn69
    aeryn69 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Don't try to be under your calories!! It's so bad for you, especially if you're way under and/or don't eat your exercise calories.

We have this problem where we keep thinking of calories as the enemy, as something bad. Calories are the fuel that your body uses to keep going, calories are energy! When you go too far under what your body needs it stops topping up what it needs from it's fuel reserve (fat) and instead says whoa something's going on here, better hang onto that in case I need it! By not enough enough calories and giving your body the fuel it needs to work you're actually hindering your weight loss efforts.
  • cheechersmom
    Options
    thanks for the support guys. check my food diary. I eat A LOT! of good food. I guess I should start eating eggs for breakfast and less zuccinni with supper. I have a hard time consuming my exercise calories... especially on days when I'm shoveling for 2 hours or cleaning for 6! ((sigh))
  • cheechersmom
    Options
    I have a really hard time eating all my calories, especially when I've earned extras from exercise. It's not that I'm trying to eat less....I just feel like some days I can't eat that much food. today I still have 541 cals left and I've already eaten dinner.