Cold Weather Running Gear

Options
So I took up running this May and am loving it. But being in MD the weather is already starting to get cooler. So as to be prepared and give myself the best chances of continuing as it gets cooler, I started looking at cold weather gear. But wow are there lots of options! So I figured I'd come see what you all do for cold weather running gear! What are your must haves, favorite brands, and advice for a new cold weather runner?

Thanks!

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple. Moisture wicking bottom layer, a couple of removable insulating layers, a wind/rain resistant outerlayer for when it's necessary ... tops and bottoms. Add hat, good socks, and a couple pair of gloves and you're ready to run in most conditions.

If you think you might run through snow and slush you might want to look at moisture resistant running shoes as well to keep the wetness from soaking through.

Brands are a completely personal choice. Honestly, I have so many brands in my closet and drawers that I couldn't possible get mistaken as a sponsored athlete. I get what words and what is affordable.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I use Under Armour Heatgear or Nike dry fit Heatgear to me they are both about the same in how the work.... Brands are a personal choice which is why I tend to stick to these two myself ....... Best of Luck
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    For me it was definitely an trial and error thing, and several runs taking note of the conditions and how I felt based on how I was dressed. I'd rather start chilly that be overheated by mile 2! I've learned what I can get away with by temp, wind, sunny or overcast, etc. I live in California, and while we don't get the extreme temps you'll face, I still have cold weather gear for the windy, rainy, foggy, and occasional sub freezing mornings. :smile:

Layers for sure. Wicking fabrics, same as summer - you don't want sweat soaked cotton hanging on you and making you colder, especially when you stop. I hate things tied around my waist or flapping when fully unzipped, so I've gathered a pretty good collection of half-zip long sleeved tops - bonus if they have thumb-holes and can be pulled at least part way over the hands. If it's really cold, I can put a layer underneath for more core warmth. And my "really cold" is really rare as I live in California, so snow and ice are not a factor for me, just the occasional mornings in the 30's, or thick fog with 40's. tongue

Top to bottom, I have these items for winter running -

Fleece beanie
    Fleece ear wrap
    Neck gaiter (never used it, but I've got one!)
    Half zip long sleeved tech tees
    Half zip merino wool long sleeved tees (Costco has these the past two years and I LOVE them!)
    Wicking tanks and short sleeved tees
    Gloves with a techy-touch finger & thumb so I can still use my phone apps/music
    Windbreaker/shell type jacket
    Fleece vest
    Compression tights (full length)
    Compression capris
    Compression bike length shorts
    WOOL SOCKS - love love love my Smartwool socks! Happy feet!
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I agree with the person who said keep it simple. It will take a little while to figure out what works for you. When I run in winter (I live in MI), I typically wear insulated tights, a compression baselayer top, a long sleeve top, gloves, hat and wool socks. I don't stick with one brand, either, I go with what fits right and is affordable. I have found that I warm up very quickly, so I like my outer top to have a zipper. Most of the time I end up taking off the hat and gloves by mile 2, so pockets are a necessity for me. I think I'm a little strange in that I run my best in the cold - my best 10k was on a day that was 2 degrees. I am really looking forward to fall running!
  • aelphabawest
    aelphabawest Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I've had really good luck with the running tights at Target (cheap, too) as well as their half fleece-half "down" jacket for super cold days. My favorite cold weather gear is a long sleeve under armour cold gear shirt - it's amazing, and I wear it by itself or as a base layer under that jacket when it gets super cold. Gloves or mittens, a neck/face guard, and a headband (misc. brands) round it out for me.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    My must haves in cold weather are a wide headband that covers my ears, and a pair of thin gloves. Both of those will probably come off before the end of the run, so I also have a light running jacket with zipped pockets to stash them in.
  • lemurcatta85
    Options
    If you'll be running on snow and/or ice, I'd recommend a pair of yaktrax.
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    When it gets cool, I don't feel like I need to drink as much. What I have found for myself is that if I don't drink in cold weather I can get a chill that just won't go away after a run. Be sure you are hydrating enough.

Also, if you drive to run, make sure you have a good dry top to change into on the cooler days as you head home.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It comes down to a bit of trial and error. You should, however, feel a little chilly at the beginning of your run otherwise you're overdressed and may overheat.

Compared to here winters in MD are pretty mild, you probably want a pair of cold weather tights and a mid-weight half zip (with a wicking layer on underneath)as well as glove and a beanie. That show see you through all but the coldest days, for really cold weather you can't go wrong with a lightweight merino wool base layer (it stays warm even when damp from perspiration) and I'll second Amy's suggestion of wool socks.
  • lizzybathory
    Options
    When I'm running in the cold, I find that I don't need to worry too much about keeping my core warm, even in Wisconsin winters, unless it's under about 20 degrees. (Your body will heat up quickly, and keep you warmer than you may think!) What I do need is well-ventilated top layers, and plenty of good coverage on exposed skin. A hat that covers my ears, a light tube scarf to keep my neck and face warm without bulk, and loose mittens.

I have a long-sleeved, fleece-lined exercise top that I wear a t-shirt underneath. This keeps me plenty warm, and plus, it means I can wear the exercise top several times and just wash the t-shirt after each run. Means buying less gear, depending on how you layer. :)
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I wear Under Armour compression tIghts and a long sleeve compression shirt, form fitting not the real tight ones, I also use a outer layer of sweat pants and long sleeve shirt under armor also. That way I can pull clothing off if I need to. Last year I got a nice Brooks cold weather jacket. I also have a nice pair of dual layer Brooks gloves under mittons so when my hands get warm I will pull off the outer shell. I wear brooks gortex lined running shoes. Unfortunantly I cannot stand when the temp gets in subzero conditions my gear keeps me good till it hits below zero. I live in MI last winter was very unusually cold for December January and Feburary. As long as the temp does get in the sub zeros I think i enjoy running in the cooler weather.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I used to run in Boston... brrr. I used light gloves & headband that covers ears (can't remember brand but they were a set made for runners), fleece lined tights (they weren't too heavy, they worked great), occasionally a windproof fleece if it was really cold/windy.
  • djbrink21
    djbrink21 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info everyone. Now to hit the Amazon and see what I can find.
  • TomZot
    TomZot Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I concur with what's already been posted. I find mittens warmer than gloves once the temp gets to 30-35 or so.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I use a base layer of Under Armour or Reebok fleece lined wicking top, similar wicking fleece lined tights, a pair of wind pants (even cheap ones from Walmart work, a fleece top, and a windbreaker jacket. I use Under Armour or Nike or Champion running gloves, and a fleece hat or ear band. I do have gaiters and masks, but I usually don't need all that unless it is like 10 degrees here in NY. I do remove layers sometimes as I go, so zip-ups are great!
  • midnight419
    midnight419 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm in DC. Depending on the temperature I wear: ear warmer, gloves with a wind breaking mitten cover, half-zip jacket with a long sleeve or tank top underneath, and running tights. If it's very windy or abnormally cold (below 15F) I'll also wear a vest or a heavier jacket. If it's above 35-40F I usually wear shorts instead of tights. My favorite running tights are from Hind and Brooks. My favorite tops and jackets are from Lululemon, Hind, and Nike (dri-fit line). I have running tights from Target/Champion, Under Armour, and Lululemon; and tops from New Balance, Under Armour, and Nike that I am not very fond of.

Runner's World What to Wear Calculator:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/what-to-wear