Can't stop binge eating! 3700 calories :(

124»

Replies

• raysputin
    raysputin Posts: 142 Member
    What worked for me: Do not have "binge" foods handy - just do not buy them in the first place. Freeze any leftovers so they take time to thaw to the point where they can be eaten. Keep your hands and mind busy - go for a walk, take up a handcraft, go and volunteer for a charity. Keep "good" food handy - low GI, high fibre, high protein. Have protein in every (carb and calorie controlled) meal. Weigh all food and check its make-up in the myfitnesspal database - you will be shocked at how many calories some small quantities of food have. Remember the saying, "Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and supper like a pauper."
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    :flowerforyou:
    That sounds like a really unhappy way to be. :frown:

Not having dealt with the eating disorder myself, this is what I think might help.
    Talk with someone - parents, doctor, counselor. Get help, preferably from a professional. If you're living with your parents & they're buying the food, they can buy healthier food so the junk isn't even in the house.

Substitute activities - brush your teeth, walk, play piano, draw, knit, exercise. Anything to get your hands occupied and your mind off food. Bonus if you get your body away from food too.

Substitute food - anything low-fat, low-calorie, and preferably high-fiber. Fruits & vegetables, including dried. Beans (I have some dried salted soybeans).

Don't get the things you like to binge on, especially the unhealthy things. If you want potato chips, go buy a single-serving bag. Or one cookie. I find it's a LOT easier to tell myself "no" when I'm in the grocery store, not to get the bag of chips, than it is to have that bag at home and only eat 1 serving.
  • I have a stressful life, dieting and me have never gotten along. After reading a lot of the info here, stories people have shared, I understand why better. At least in my case. Too many gimmicks, too many fads and really all it takes is a calorie deficit. You don't have to starve yourself, you don't even have to completely cut everything out. I probably eat more now since using the MFP and all the research than I did before. I eat better foods definitely but I still have treats and am losing weight. I plan out my meals ahead of time now and leave a spare cushion for a "mistake" or for something unplanned. Either way, it doesn't even feel like I'm dieting now and that alleviated tons of stress about losing weight.

The good thing is, you don't need to beat yourself up over a binge. No one is perfect and there's a reason or trigger, you just need to find it. It could be a medical issue, habit, comfort, rule out medical stuff first. Talk to your parents, maybe you are missing a nutrient in something you crave that could be supplemented. Maybe planning some emergency cushion into your day food wise would help, then you don't have to feel guilty or add more stress worrying about that slip.

I quit smoking this summer, and when you lose your comfort habit when you get stressed, it takes a lot to change your body to crave something else. I go to the gym and hop on the treadmill or pick up a kettlebell at home, when cravings from stress either make me want to pick up a cigarette or food. Anything that distracts me from the old habit of a binge of any sort as my reaction. Just remember you're in complete control, when you find alternatives your brain rewires and things get better. You're also not alone.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    1) You need to speak to someone first about this

2) You eat lots of carbs - Cut these down & eat lots of protein instead

3) Drink lots of water, you might think your hungry but really your not

4) Try and keep yourself and mind busy to take your mind off food
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    There's no magical answer it's a matter of not eating so much food that you don't need, it comes down to self control, no one can do that for you.

Stress, comfort eating, emotional eating, addicted to food, working late, label them as you want but it's a just a bunch of exccuses.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    @ JaneiR36 Basically if you are a comfort eater this is your thought process.

Gah I had to wait an hour for the dentist today and he told me i needed a root canal ... hmm better get some food.

Someone cut me off at the traffic light! *kitten*! hmm ... you know what I need a burger.

I feel depressed and lonely. This is a problem only a tub of ice cream will solve!

Grr I stubbed my toe ... hmmm how about some doritos.

Urrgh theres' nuthin on tv ... but ... DONUTS!!

Basically you get the picture anything and everything that goes wrong triggers an immediate desire to eat something tasty that will make it all better. As a coping mechanism it has the unfortunate combination of being very bad for you. And very good at it's job. It's sad to say that scarfing a whole pizza or a tub of ben and jerrys does a lot for the sad panda inside. And thus for comfort eaters it becomes their primary go to if anything goes wrong. As the problem grows older healthier coping mechanisms become abandoned in the face of the new king. Especially as the sufferer's expanding waistline may be affecting their social confidence or romantic prospects. They may even lose friends suffer mockery or lose their relationship with their significant other. The stress of which has them reaching for yup .. you guessed it more food.

You end up trapped in a vicious case of Stockholm syndrome with food. You love it and you hate it. It's your master your jailer your lover and your best friend. It's always there and it always satisfies. But it takes it's price. And leaves it's marks. It's like being stuck in an abusive relationship where your significant other wrecks your self esteem to such an extent that you are convinced that they are the only one who would have you. As comfort eating progresses you see yourself as the "fat person with no self control" more and more. And you keep reaching for food because at least the food still gives you a bit of pleasure.

That's comfort eating in a nutshell. And people with it don't need tough love or your lectures about self discipline. They need acceptance, support and help. Because once you have it it's always there .. waiting for you. Once you know the pleasure of binging no amount of abstinence will make you forget how easily you can make the pain go away. I have fought my condition and am now living healthily but I will never, ever be free of it.

It's like your in my head lol! this is completely me.
  • weblur
    weblur Posts: 140 Member
    It's like your in my head lol! this is completely me.
    Mamadon, I was just going to post that exact sentiment!
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    I don't know what you're going through. But try to log your daily intake as truthfully as you can, measuring etc. Try not feel ashamed, I know it's hard, but adding shame on top of everything else make the problems so much harder to untangle.

Understand that overeating, like any other addiction, is a coping mechanism. It's a way to comfort yourself when you don't want to feel what's going on in your life. I'm very proned for addictions, so I know what I'm talking about.

Surpressing your feelings with food is only going to make you more miserable, as you already noticed. I have just posted a blog to help me overcome getting second and third servings using fiber as the medicine. Feel free to check it out if you have time:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Foamroller/view/fiber-fat-cleansing-effect-691681

Drinking fiber will not only make you too full to stuff yourself with food you don't really want, it might also help with constipation and fat cleansing.

All addictions are an escape. If we want to get rid of bad habits we must learn how to be self-compassionate. That is to accept and comfort yourself in healthy ways. It's very hard when no-one taught you how to do this. I'm on this journey myself.
    Good luck:)

For further reads:
    Try Brene Brown: The gift of imperfection
    or search self-compassion in amazon
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Hmmn... I've read the advice here... basically the consensus of this accumulated wisdom is -
    'eat less food'.
    Am I right? That's the sage advice is it? Wow. Well after hearing that all our troubles are over and mfp can shut up shop. Oh yes there was the not so hidden theme of
    'Pull yourself together.'
    Great. You guys (with one or 2 exceptions) should do drugs counselling. 'Stop taking drugs. Problem solved.'
    :mad: :grumble: :huh:
    This is an interesting response. Comparing binge eating to taking drugs is like comparing apples to oranges.
    It's my British sarcasm. I'm saying binge eating isn't simplistic. Neither is drug or alcohol abuse. All need empathy and professional help not self satisfied smug amateur knee jerk responses. ('Over eating? Stop over eating.' If only it were that simple.)

Are you a Man U fan also? It would explain your overall unhappiness ;)
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Stress seems to be the common excuse for over eating. I know a lot of people including myself that encounter stress on a routine basis and yet don't use it as an excuse to pig out. You say you are sick, and yet you go out of your way to continue eating. You are getting ready for school ? Why spend the money on school when it is going to be really tough to find a decent job if you are obese or you tell your potential employer "I stress easily". Time to take a hard long look in the mirror and help yourself. Tough for others to help you if you aren't willing to help yourself. Is this a tough love reply to you ? Yes it is. I know I and many others would love to help you if you would be willing to help yourself. You hold the answers to your over eating so beginning today quit using excuses and just do it.

And here we can see the vast difference between "tough love" and "utter douchiness".
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Hmmn... I've read the advice here... basically the consensus of this accumulated wisdom is -
    'eat less food'.
    Am I right? That's the sage advice is it? Wow. Well after hearing that all our troubles are over and mfp can shut up shop. Oh yes there was the not so hidden theme of
    'Pull yourself together.'
    Great. You guys (with one or 2 exceptions) should do drugs counselling. 'Stop taking drugs. Problem solved.'
    :mad: :grumble: :huh:
    This is an interesting response. Comparing binge eating to taking drugs is like comparing apples to oranges.

Oh really? Please elaborate, Expert.
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    You need to speak to a doctor. You have symptoms of an eating disorder. We're not doctors. Please get some professional help.
  • marinabreeze
    marinabreeze Posts: 141 Member
    Why spend the money on school when it is going to be really tough to find a decent job if you are obese or you tell your potential employer "I stress easily".

Wow, telling someone they shouldn't get an education if they're fat seems pretty ridiculous. While there is discrimination against the obese in the job market, it's not like they can't get jobs. I graduated in December 2008, when the economy was in the toilet, and had a job in my field before graduation despite being obese. My weight was a non-issue, as it is for many employers. No one should be told to not better themselves. "Oh you have a flaw, better not try to do anything worthwhile with your life!" Pathetic.

100% agree - from someone who has a graduate degree and an upwardly mobile career and is obese.
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    I feel your pain and frustration. Binge eating is so highly addictive and can be extremely hard to break free from.
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Then stop binge eating? its a matter of having self control.Before I found out about mfp , I used to eat a big bag of cheaps in one daywhich would pretty much use up your calorie goal for the day and I would also eat a bag of grapes in one day.That was before I learned about portion control and counting calories.Now a bag of grapes last me days since I now have to weigh them.They are still in my fridge but I have the self control not to pig out on them like before.So its either you choose to binge eat or you don't.

Unfortunately this comment made me a little frustrated. Sometimes it is hard to 'just stop binge eating', and 'gain some self control' as there are eating disorders that exist. Sometimes it's hard to just put down that extra piece of cake, then turn to a massive bowl of cereal. Portion control is nothing to do with binge eating usually. You do not care about portion control when you are in the 'mode' to binge eat.

OP - I think you need to see a doctor if this is becoming too hard to stop binging. You may be referred to a dietician and maybe a plan will be given to you to stick to a routine. This is usually quite helpful. But, if you have an ED, you may even find this tough. Just stay strong. :flowerforyou:
  • wubbykid
    wubbykid Posts: 60 Member
    Are you depressed or feel guilty about something? These things can make you eat like no big deal!

Also, I'd see a therapist.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Stress is holding down a job, paying the mortgage/ bills and looking after your children. Odly enough I know plenty of people who dothe above and don't massively overeat.

The op sounds bored, get out of the house and do something interesting to take your mind off food. Go for a run or a walk.

Well this is an irrelevant statement.

I hold down a job, pay for a mortgage, have a car payment, electricity, food among other bills, look after my kid.
    I'm not stressed about any of that.

These aren't the only things in life that can stress people out.
  • Have you tried journaling when you feel like binging? Write you feelings down then write how much you have lost to remind yourself how far you have come.