meal replacement shakes

Options
I wonder about these. I would want one that doesn't taste chalky, has nutrients, and keeps me full. Has anyone tried any? Do you think it is helpful to lose weight with?

Replies

• Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    Not really sure. I prefer to eat more than drink my meals :) However, on the mornings I workout super early I don't want to have a lot of food on my stomach so I drink a Glucerna protien shake Classic butter pecan :) It seems to keep me filled to snack time and tastes good :)
  • kbbeale
    kbbeale Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Im a stay at home mom to 4 kids, ages 12, 8, 5 and 2. 3 boys and a girl. Needless to say, sometimes I NEED those meal replacement drinks, otherwise I get nothing. I dont know where you are located, but one of our grocery stores, HEB (Texas) has their version of a protein shake that is SO.GOOD. The extra protein keeps me full and satisfied on those busy days.
  • Imadorkable
    Imadorkable Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I am a nurse and there are some days where I cannot sit down to eat. I use spiru-tein. It is a spirulina protein powder. I think it taste better than most. They are around $40 for a container. They have a lot of different flavors but my favorite is chocolate. I like to mix one scoop with the new almond coconut milk. It taste like a german chocolate shake :) Usually if I drink one at 7pm I don't start to get hungry until 1 or 2 am.
  • bctr2013
    bctr2013 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I like Syntha-6. For me it has a good mix of protein, carbs and fat. All the flavors I have tried are great, chocolate peanut butter is very good. It's available on Amazon.
  • FIREBALL777
    Options
  • meyowtime
    meyowtime Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the Boost Calorie Smart and Glucose Control formulas. Chocolate is the best for both, Vanilla is the runner up. They are only 190 calories. I use them if I just can't decide on something but need to eat or food doesn't sound appealing in the morning. They mix really well with coffee too!
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I use the Fit N' Full shakes (120 calories) lots of protein and keeps me full. The chocolate is tasty and the big canister lasts me a bit. My SO likes the Pure Protein canned shakes (180 calories) in chocolate. Both are from Vitamin World and range in price. The stuff I use is $25 but like I said last me a couple weeks (I tend to use the shake for breakfast only) while the canned shakes are $3 each and have to be refrigerated.

I have tried several meal shakes/protein shakes and so far, these are the two I like the most and are pretty good cost wise.
  • kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I like Pure Protein from Trader Joe's
  • firebloom
    firebloom Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I use the Aldi Slim and Trim shakes for the convenience factor. It's super easy for me to mix up a shake in a drink bottle and pack a bag of air popped popcorn to have for lunch. It also has a decent amount of protein and nutrients.
  • aylalala76
    Options
    great! I am in Texas too!
  • merrettk
    merrettk Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I also use the aldi slim and trim shakes they are great and keep me from being hungry. All the flavours are good and gluten free and they don't use fake sugars
  • kxcarney
    Options
    I use beachbody shakeology and love it. I can't work out after eating and being a teacher, I get a short lunch and it just helps me a lot and keeps me full! It's also easy for planning and helped me lose weight.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I also use the aldi slim and trim shakes they are great and keep me from being hungry. All the flavours are good and gluten free and they don't use fake sugars

not tried aldi yet.good tip.
    have used asda own brand(sadly discontinued) and superdrug. both do the job.
    today i have a slimfast cafe latte shake for in between sessions and to take diabetes meds.
    will keep me topped up till 6pm soup/protein intake.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I would rather eat food than drink it as its more enjoyable.
  • RunBenny
    Options
    I was wondering how long the thread would go before someone recommended Shakeology.

Truth be told, I think Shakeology is a great drink. However, those prices are absolutely ridiculous... there are many, many equivalents out there at a fraction of the cost. I usually mix a protein shake with fruits, nuts, etc., but then again, I don't use shakes as a meal replacement.

And to prove this isn't an anti-BeachBody post, P90X, P90X3, Insanity, etc., are the only workouts I use.
  • pickleRH83
    pickleRH83 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I like the juice plus shakes, they keep me full and it's good to know I have a handy tub of something at work that's a set amount of calories if I get stuck without a packed lunch and don't want to rely on our super unhealthy cafeteria food! Sadly they're quite pricey and quite high in sugar which may outweigh all the good stuff in them!
  • GibbsGirl13072
    GibbsGirl13072 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I like the chocolate Shakeology, but I always read these threads because I'm looking for something that's not so pricey. I've seen the HEB protein shakes mentioned a few times, so that might be the one I try first.
  • RunBenny
    Options
    I like the chocolate Shakeology, but I always read these threads because I'm looking for something that's not so pricey. I've seen the HEB protein shakes mentioned a few times, so that might be the one I try first.

Yeah, I've heard the same... I'll have to check out the ingredients list and try it next time I'm in Texas.

I currently use Optimum Nutrition 100% whey protein. I can get the 2 pound tub for around $25 and it usually lasts me for 45 or so days... even if I go through a tub in 30 days (which I never will because I don't work out every day and I'm not using it as a meal replacement), it's only around 85 cents per serving, a far cry from the over 4 dollars per serving for 30 days of Shakeology.

Again, I'm not knocking the substance, only the ridiculous price... having said that, I'll see if Santa will bring me ONE bag for Christmas :)
  • kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    The other day I made a vanilla metrx shake with almond milk, 2 tbsp of decafe freeze dried, 1 tbsp of cocoa, ice ... it was so freaking good.. I think I'll have another :)