Why do you want to lose weight??

Options
2»

Replies

• Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I have lost 171 pounds and I am working to keep the weight off because:

1. First and foremost for my health in general.

2. To hopefully not become diabetic like my mother was. I know it had to have played a major roll in the accident that killed her and my dad. She was the one that crossed the center line in the highway. The driver of the first car she hit said she was slumped over the steering wheel. The second car she hit head on. Enough said….it’s a long story.

3. I never want to be in the wheel chair ever again. I want to continue to walk and drive myself where ever I want to go. Which I could do neither of when I was so morbidly obese.

4. In hopes of never having to take meds for high blood pressure again.

5. To never have to sleep with the C-Pap machine on my head to make me breath because I had sleep apnea from being so large.

6. In Hopes of not getting the same breast cancer that killed my great grandmother. (I am her made over right down to her voice) Or any of the other cancers that my family has been riddled with through out the years. Yes obesity plays a big roll in if you have cancer or not.

I want to add here that yes it feels really good to be able to go shopping and buy clothes that really fit and look good on me now. It felt really good the day I walked into The Dress Barn for the first time ever in my life. I was standing there for a minute looking around deciding which way I wanted to go when the sales lady said to me “Hun, your size is over here.” It was the smaller clothes. That was the day I realized I had done it….I had lost the weight….I HAD arrived! I was floating on air. I will never forget that and how wonderful it felt.
    But as far as wanting my hip bones to show. No thank you. Can you say “Scary Skinny”!! Scary skinny is just out and out U-G-L-Y and dangerous to do to ones self. I think I will pass.
    I want to live and I want to live as healthy as I can what time I have left on this earth.

I wasn’t always big. I started having health problems when I was 23 and my son was 2. We didn’t know it but I had a brain tumor that was making my body act like it was just a hormone problem so the doctor was giving me massive doses of hormones that were doing no good at all. Long story short here I was gaining weight by leaps and bounds. My grandmother said you could see me swell and I looked like some one had a straw in my mouth blowing me up. By the time they did the surgery to remove the tumor I had a lot of weight to lose. Regardless of how or why I gained it I had to lose it just like everybody else. I had to cut the amount of what I was eating. I counted calories and I lost 174 pounds. But the weight came back.
    After I had gained the weight back we found out that I have a non-functioning thyroid and it was causing me to gain.
    I also have Fibromyalgia which causes fatigue and pain and made it really hard to exercise. I also have arthritis really badly and the weight was really grinding away at my joints causing severe pain.
    I have had five foot surgeries and I now have artificial joints in both feet. I couldn’t even walk to the bathroom until my feet healed after each surgery. A friend of mine and my husband had to bring my food into me because I couldn’t get up to feed myself. Just sitting and eating all that time while I healed just helped add on the pounds.
    My weight went up to 311 pounds and my blood pressure was out of control. I ended up in the wheelchair and had to ride around on a scooter. It was awful. My life was one big nothing.
    I still have several health problems, particularly with my body chemistry. My blood chemistry is one big mess. I counted calories again and the weight started coming off. I reached my goal weight 3 years, 3 months ago and 2 weeks ago.
    I realize that the battle with my weight will be an ongoing thing the rest of my life and I sure don’t want to gain it back a second time.
    Since I have lost the weight I can now walk and drive myself wherever I want to go. I also am proud to say my blood pressure is now normal and I no longer have to take medication for it.
    The amount of medication I was taking has been drastically cut. I had 3 pages of meds I took every day some more then once a day. Now all my meds are printed in bold print on one page.

Those are the reasons I lost the weight and I am working so hard to keep it off.
    Anyone that thinks that they can’t do it, I am here to tell you, yes you can. You just have to want to do it, and then just do it.
    Hang in there everyone we CAN do this together.
    Loretta
  • debuckl
    debuckl Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    For my health.
    I miss turning heads.
    I want to feel sexy (and looking it would be great too).
    I want to have more energy and sleep better at night.
  • mildrede40
    Options
    Health reasons-when I loss the weight the first time I felt I felt great. And now that I gained some of the weight be I feel awful.:angry: . I am slower and tried all the time :sad:
  • mrsjo79
    mrsjo79 Posts: 123
    Options
    1. To feel good about myself.
    2. I want to be healthy before starting a family (wich may put me back to square one:ohwell: )
  • xccoach07
    xccoach07 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    1. to feel good about myself--i have never been this big!
    2. to be able to run without feeling like i'm going to die!
    3. i need to get into my skinny clothes--because I'm not going to buy bigger clothes!!
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    I have lost 171 pounds and I am working to keep the weight off because:

1. First and foremost for my health in general.

2. To hopefully not become diabetic like my mother was. I know it had to have played a major roll in the accident that killed her and my dad. She was the one that crossed the center line in the highway. The driver of the first car she hit said she was slumped over the steering wheel. The second car she hit head on. Enough said….it’s a long story.

3. I never want to be in the wheel chair ever again. I want to continue to walk and drive myself where ever I want to go. Which I could do neither of when I was so morbidly obese.

4. In hopes of never having to take meds for high blood pressure again.

5. To never have to sleep with the C-Pap machine on my head to make me breath because I had sleep apnea from being so large.

6. In Hopes of not getting the same breast cancer that killed my great grandmother. (I am her made over right down to her voice) Or any of the other cancers that my family has been riddled with through out the years. Yes obesity plays a big roll in if you have cancer or not.

I want to add here that yes it feels really good to be able to go shopping and buy clothes that really fit and look good on me now. It felt really good the day I walked into The Dress Barn for the first time ever in my life. I was standing there for a minute looking around deciding which way I wanted to go when the sales lady said to me “Hun, your size is over here.” It was the smaller clothes. That was the day I realized I had done it….I had lost the weight….I HAD arrived! I was floating on air. I will never forget that and how wonderful it felt.
    But as far as wanting my hip bones to show. No thank you. Can you say “Scary Skinny”!! Scary skinny is just out and out U-G-L-Y and dangerous to do to ones self. I think I will pass.
    I want to live and I want to live as healthy as I can what time I have left on this earth.

I wasn’t always big. I started having health problems when I was 23 and my son was 2. We didn’t know it but I had a brain tumor that was making my body act like it was just a hormone problem so the doctor was giving me massive doses of hormones that were doing no good at all. Long story short here I was gaining weight by leaps and bounds. My grandmother said you could see me swell and I looked like some one had a straw in my mouth blowing me up. By the time they did the surgery to remove the tumor I had a lot of weight to lose. Regardless of how or why I gained it I had to lose it just like everybody else. I had to cut the amount of what I was eating. I counted calories and I lost 174 pounds. But the weight came back.
    After I had gained the weight back we found out that I have a non-functioning thyroid and it was causing me to gain.
    I also have Fibromyalgia which causes fatigue and pain and made it really hard to exercise. I also have arthritis really badly and the weight was really grinding away at my joints causing severe pain.
    I have had five foot surgeries and I now have artificial joints in both feet. I couldn’t even walk to the bathroom until my feet healed after each surgery. A friend of mine and my husband had to bring my food into me because I couldn’t get up to feed myself. Just sitting and eating all that time while I healed just helped add on the pounds.
    My weight went up to 311 pounds and my blood pressure was out of control. I ended up in the wheelchair and had to ride around on a scooter. It was awful. My life was one big nothing.
    I still have several health problems, particularly with my body chemistry. My blood chemistry is one big mess. I counted calories again and the weight started coming off. I reached my goal weight 3 years, 3 months ago and 2 weeks ago.
    I realize that the battle with my weight will be an ongoing thing the rest of my life and I sure don’t want to gain it back a second time.
    Since I have lost the weight I can now walk and drive myself wherever I want to go. I also am proud to say my blood pressure is now normal and I no longer have to take medication for it.
    The amount of medication I was taking has been drastically cut. I had 3 pages of meds I took every day some more then once a day. Now all my meds are printed in bold print on one page.

Those are the reasons I lost the weight and I am working so hard to keep it off.
    Anyone that thinks that they can’t do it, I am here to tell you, yes you can. You just have to want to do it, and then just do it.
    Hang in there everyone we CAN do this together.
    Loretta

You are one amazing woman!!
  • PammyB3130
    Options
    1. to escape the diabetes epidemic
    2. to save my knees
    3. to knock the socks of my husband so noone else will catch his eye
    4. to be a good and healthy example for my kids
    5. to finally stick to something and reach my goal

I need to do this, I want to do this, I can do this, I will do this!!!
  • Loretta_Jo
    Options
    1. to escape the diabetes epidemic
    2. to save my knees
    3. to knock the socks of my husband so noone else will catch his eye
    4. to be a good and healthy example for my kids
    5. to finally stick to something and reach my goal

I need to do this, I want to do this, I can do this, I will do this!!!

Yes my dear you will do this.
    Together we will do this.
    :flowerforyou:
  • Loretta_Jo
    Options
    Thank you Renee :flowerforyou:
  • PSUgrl921
    PSUgrl921 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    1. Confidence
    2. Health
    3. Swimsuit season-- I haven't been comfortable in a swimsuit since I was about 14... I want to go to the beach this summer and look good.
  • PSUgrl921
    PSUgrl921 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    O ... and to fit into my favorite pair of jeans ... which I grew out of from the freshman 15.
  • jessjess
    Options
    1. To feel better - more energy/confidence
    2. To not be embarrassed in a bikini this summer....for once :blushing:
    3. To avoid diabetes/high blood pressure (my Mom is dealing with it...already)
    4. To be able to finish a marathon...or half marathon
  • pattys624
    Options
    Hi, everyone. I'm brand spankin' new here, but I figured this would be a good topic to start off with!

1. Diabetes runs in my family. I would like to escape it.
    2. At 22, I'm sick of waking up in the morning and feeling like I'm 62.
    3. I want to be able to have a family, and my doctor flat out told me that if I did not start living a healthier lifestyle, it wouldn't happen.
    4. I realized that I can't love someone else until I love myself. I know I'm a good person, but I'm not happy in my current situation.

I'm already 4 lbs into this long, long journey. But I'm glad there are others here who understand!
  • daniellerprescott
    Options
    :tongue:
    For my health
    To be a curvy beautiful woman-that's in shape
    To get in great condition to have children in a year or two
  • shabby4
    shabby4 Posts: 19
    Options
    I have many reasons but here are a few:

Like many of you I would like to avoid family health issues - my mom is turning 60 and has never been in shape and she's paying for it now. I want to be healthy and happy at 60...and 26.

I would like to get in better shape before kids - something to work my way back to after babies. And let's be honest, I'd love to feel "hot" before I start making babies.

I want my exterior to match the me I see inside when I think of who I am and what I look like. Where did that girl go? She's making a comeback!
  • noogiep
    noogiep Posts: 35
    Options
    I am tired of dressing like an old woman and I want to live longer!