quit smoking?!

Options
hey guys,

whos quit smoking here?? im going to try again this week it will be tough but i know i can do it. so social events are of for a month. what other inspiration can be used.

also did you gain weight?

thanks.

Replies

• Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    You can do this! We'll do it together! One day at a time! I've been smoke free for 5 days, today! I know that's not long, but for me, it's a BIG deal! It's the longest I've been smoke free in 5/6 years. I quit when I was trying to get pregnant 6 years ago, and was smoke free while I was pregnant and after I gave birth/breastfeeding, but because of the severe trauma I had with the birth and an injury I sustained, I began smoking again (never around my child, though). That's the longest time I've ever been smoke free, This time, I'd like to make it for life. I'd be glad to be of support, as I need it, too! Best of luck, we'll do it together!
  • Tracey_B_72
    Tracey_B_72 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I gave up 2 yrs ago October, I did Stoptober and the app they has was great It was good knowing others were going through it with me, I saved all the money from the 1st month and spent it on me, I used gum every time I went dog walking and brushed my teeth a lot, I never like minty breathe with a ciggie.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey 6 months ago after 27 yrs.. I was told by everyone that smoked or use to smoke that I would gain at least 25 lbs. and that after 27 yrs I could not do it. I am one of those personalities that if you tell me I can't do it ...well then I have to prove you wrong. Not only did I quit but I lost 20 lbs to boot! I have never felt so good and if I knew then what I know now I would have quit at least 20 yrs ago. LOL

You can do this. You will thank yourself later. I am not gonna lie... I still get cravings...stressful situations are my trigger. My husband smokes and has for over 30 yrs. I can not stand the smell. UGH!!!!! The smell itself is enough for me to never return to smoking. Good luck and stay strong.
  • melindafritz1976
    melindafritz1976 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    i quit smoking
    its been two years
    i did nicorette lozenges, then e- cig
    then tapered off that
    then cinamon candies
    then tapered off that
  • lrtemple74
    lrtemple74 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm doing everything at once! lol I have quit smoking, a little hiccup, but I'm back on track now. Also, I would like to lose about 70 lbs. I know I can do it and would love all of your support! We can do this, I can do this!
  • TLIVIGNSTON
    TLIVIGNSTON Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    great to see im not the only one taking control here. im seeing the DR on Thursday to get some champix. i have had a friend who had great success with this. i have tried nicotine replacements and it didn't work.

this time its gone for good, and with that the drinking has to stop for at least a month. time to fit it up,
  • TLIVIGNSTON
    TLIVIGNSTON Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Keep me posted as i will for you guys. it can be done by all. live long and prosper.
  • PurrlyGirl
    PurrlyGirl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I quit after 10 years of smoking! You can do it. :) I've been off for 3 years and I'm so happy. I can breathe and taste things and I don't waste my money (on cigarettes anyway...nail polish is another story!).
  • Heatts
    Heatts Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I quit over 3 years ago. My then fiance bought me necklaces mostly for big markers/achievements. 1 month, 1 day we spent the day with a bunch of smokers and it was a huge challenge to not then so I got one necklace just for that day. I did gain weight when I quit but I don't remember how much. Now even though I am dealing with lots of stress I don't go back because I don't want to go through the pain of quitting again. You can do it! LLP!
  • GlynnisSapsfordHey
    Options
    You can do this go for it just think of all the new clothes you can buy, and how good you with be able to breath.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking january 24 this year...my birthday. Cold turkey, hardest thing I've done! I just got to the point that I don't wanna die! I love to try new things and live life to the fullest yet I was slowly digging my own grave. I chewed a lot of gum, ate lots of twizzlers and tried to keep busy. Good luck! It will be hard but you can do it! Don't let anything control your life :flowerforyou:
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    6 weeks ago tomorrow after 30 years. Patch the first four days, then cold turkey. No weight gain as of yet. JUST DO IT!
  • AllieLosingIt
    AllieLosingIt Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I quit cigarettes completely on May 10th, but swapped it for vaping where I've been able to go from a high nicotine strength (36mg) to 0mg nicotine in 3 months and now am trying to taper myself off vaping in general since all I'm really doing now is puffing on flavored water vapor. I'm right there with you! It's hard but we can do this! :)
  • MsDellyssa
    MsDellyssa Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 9 yrs ago this month. Was I crabby? OH YES!! Did I gain weight? I don't think I did gain as much weight as I did the last time I quit (which only lasted 2 yrs that time) I think I actually lost weight right after I quit smoking. I was walking about 3 miles a day with my mother in law at the park. But the first time.. oh my.. I put on 90 lbs.. not all my fault. My thyroid decided it was time to shut down too. Hormones are such fun.. NOT.

Sooo. yeah, it's a difficult road depending on how you go about it. Kudos to all of you who are quitting. May you get through this with as little hiccups as possible. I may not know any of you, but I'm glad you're doing this. It's going to be worth it. Good Luck!!
  • MsDellyssa
    MsDellyssa Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I quit cigarettes completely on May 10th, but swapped it for vaping where I've been able to go from a high nicotine strength (36mg) to 0mg nicotine in 3 months and now am trying to taper myself off vaping in general since all I'm really doing now is puffing on flavored water vapor. I'm right there with you! It's hard but we can do this! :)

You are Amazing. My husband has been on the ecig completely since 2010. He's down to 6mg. I told him about your post. You are an inspiration. Thank you.
  • charlottegirl14
    Options
    I smoked 1-2 packs a day for many years. I used the step-down patches and tootsie roll pops to quit. That was 18 years ago!! Didn't gain any weight at all and felt better quickly.

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!
  • superbabe612
    superbabe612 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm doing everything at once! lol I have quit smoking, a little hiccup, but I'm back on track now. Also, I would like to lose about 70 lbs. I know I can do it and would love all of your support! We can do this, I can do this!

I'm the same doing everything at once! Maybe it's good to go all out and jump in at the deep end (swimming is my exercise!). I woke up this morning with motivation for the first time in ages! I'm on my last packed of cigs - once they're gone, no more! I'm back on MFP app, and I'm going to do this! We're going to do this!
  • sonia_th
    Options
    1st of Sept...start diet/exercise a new me!!!! tomorrow 3rd Sept Quit Smoking, now that will be the hard part....i need some support and help with is one!!! keep in touch
  • AllieLosingIt
    AllieLosingIt Posts: 150 Member
    Options

You are Amazing. My husband has been on the ecig completely since 2010. He's down to 6mg. I told him about your post. You are an inspiration. Thank you.

Happy to help! :)
  • FindingSkinnyPaige
    Options
    I quit smoking two years ago after smoking for 25 years -- Here's the deal: get an e-cig - I couldn't have quit without it and actually had two doctors tell me to get one to quit smoking. Yes, i did gain weight that i am now trying to get off, but I still don't smoke and as a matter of fact, hate the smell now. It took a while to get to the point to hate the smell, but it happened. i think the potpourri smell of the e-cig liquid helped with that. If you go the e-cig route, start out high on nicotine to help you out, then gradually go down to zero. I still use my e-cig, but no nicotine in 18+ months. I just like the taste now -- it has become somewhat of a hobby to taste the different liquids, but it isn't an all day thing with me. My 19 year old son and his friends recently quit using e-cigs and have now cut their nicotine in half. Please quit smoking. You will be happier in the long run. Good luck and reach out if you need my help. The first two weeks will be the most difficult probably.