Travelling to New Orleans!

Options
SwashBlogger
SwashBlogger Posts: 395 Member
I have not been to New Orleans since before Katrina hit, and am headed there in 2 weeks. I'd love to hear your restaurant recommendations, and any attractions that are a must see. We prefer nook n cranny stuff, as opposed to large, touristy places.

What can you tell me?

Replies

• Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    In for ideas on my next vacation.

Have fun and eat yummy beignets (IIFYM) swashblogger!
  • SwashBlogger
    SwashBlogger Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    bump! I had one post to my feed by a friend, but where are the rest of the Cajun lovers!!:drinker:
  • marquishagetaka
    Options
    Once you get there you will know where to eat, so many options, so much good, I live here, but I don't reco places.
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Kenner Seafood
    3140 Loyola Dr
    Kenner, LA 70065
  • marisas80
    marisas80 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Bar recommendation: Lafitte's Blacksmith shop bar. It's off the beaten path, down Bourbon but past the touristy part. It's the oldest bar in the US, built in the 1700s.
    Food: The list is endless! Acme Oyster House, Central Grocery (best Muffaletta), and Brennan's (for Brunch) are some of my favorites. Of course you have to get Beignets from Cafe Du Monde. There is also a great ice cream shop called Creole Creamery, it's in Uptown on Prytania St.

I go to Nola a couple times a year but it's usually with my kids sports so I don't get to do too much attraction type stuff but know where to eat!
  • jacques57
    jacques57 Posts: 2,129 Member
    Options
    Poster above is correct. Other fun places my wife has taken all of us to (she grew up there) in the Quarter include the Port O'Call. It is on Esplanade on the west side of the Quarter. IT is a burger and baked potato joint with monstrous ZOMBIE and TIKI drinks. It is just off the beaten track. The good jazz clubs are near or on Esplanade as tourist cover bands have taken over Bourbon st.
    Commander's Palace in the Garden District is pricey and old school (jacket and ties for men) but it is an extraordinary treat for the taste buds as well as the over the top traditional service and manners. Bucket list destination, in my opinion. Keil's Antiques on Royal St in the Quarter is an excellent boutique of furniture, jewelry, paintings, and other antiques with a low-key atmosphere. I got my wife her 50th birthday gift there. Finally the Gospel Brunch at the House of Blues was an incredible experience for $36. Food, music, atmosphere. This wasn't Disney-like phony gospel, this was heart-felt shaking and waving and shouting for Jesus to a rocking beat!
  • _SantaClause
    _SantaClause Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Eat all the food.
  • speaker_boxx1
    Options
    Hey, visited back in April this year. I recommend taking a free walking tour http://www.freetoursbyfoot.com/new-orleans-tours/walking-tours/french-quarter-tour/ our tour guide was awesome very interesting, answered lots of questions and took good care of us even though there were quite a lot of us. They don't even ask for a tip but people give according to how much they enjoyed the tour. I very much recommend it.

You could also check out the cemeteries. There are many scattered around NOLA and the french quarter. I just went on my own and it was pretty creepy. Lot's of voodoo happenings but very interesting. Especially the special burial technique they use in New Orleans for generations.

I wasn't able to go but apparently Preservation Hall just off Bourbon and near Pat O Briens is the best place to hear Jazz if that is your thing. I guess that's a bit touristy.
  • marisas80
    marisas80 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I agree with Port of Call, but watch out as their drinks are very strong!
  • DeepFriedSouthern
    Options
    For a more upscale outing, try Cochon at 930 Tchoupitoulas St, New Orleans, LA. For more affordable, lunch-style fare (sandwiches, etc.) check out their sister restaurant, Cochon Butcher (entrance around the corner from Cochon). They smoke their own bacon, ham and prosciutto and make their own sausages.
  • Follow_me
    Follow_me Posts: 6,120 Member
    Options
    I agree with Port of Call, but watch out as their drinks are very strong!

LOL... Aren't they all!
  • laurasnyder411
    laurasnyder411 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    We just got back a month ago! We asked the locals-Johnny's for po-boys, cafe du monde for beignets, you have to stop in Pat O'Brien's for a hurricane, we had an amazing crab boil at FrenchMarket Restaurant, we were a little disappointed in the Brewhouse but try it out-they had great atmosphere and the food was good-we had bad service but it may have been a fluke. We were directed to stay away from Oceana. Anyways, that's all I can remember :) Have a great trip and be safe!